Don Lemon | Jay Bakker | News | Tammy Faye Messner

BigGayDeal.com

Jay Bakker, Son of Tammy Faye, Talks to Don Lemon About the Bible, Hell, and Accepting Homosexuality: VIDEO

Bakker

Don Lemon talks to Pastor Jay Bakker about his mother Tammy Faye Bakker Messner and her acceptance of gay people, his gay-affirming church, the 'next generation' of Christians, understanding the Bible, and Hell.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(thanks to dave evans for the clips)

Comments

1. god damn I am over Christianity.

Posted by: Justin | Aug 24, 2011 10:57:17 AM

2. I'm atheist, but Jay Bakker is one of very few preachers who are worth listening to, an example that religious belief and faith *can* be a positive thing in the lives of individuals and communities instead of divisive and damaging. Hopefully more people of faith like him will speak up and reclaim religion from the hateful Christian Right.

Posted by: Codswallop | Aug 24, 2011 11:00:53 AM

3. It's nice that he's nice and it speaks volumes that his most-rational and most-accurate view of christianity is an extreme outsider opinion that's hated and reviled by mainstream christians. But he's still pushing a fairy tale, still chained to a lie. Jay Bakker seems like too nice a guy to spend his life enslaved to nonsense, even if his version of the nonsense is the most palatable possible.

Posted by: ohplease | Aug 24, 2011 11:14:57 AM

4. What an intelligent man! He uses history to show how humans have taken holy words, slowly changed them through various translations and used them over time for their own purposes of control and self-confirmation. He is true to the inclusiveness of Jesus. I respect Jay Bakker greatly for his courage to live his beliefs and to be an example of the love of the original Christians.

Posted by: trees | Aug 24, 2011 11:33:48 AM

5. I remember he had a reality series a few years back when his mother was still alive (but very sick.) It was a good series that followed him around as he tried to establish his church. Seems like a good guy.

Posted by: Waynesf | Aug 24, 2011 11:49:32 AM

6. That's all fine and dandy, but I still refuse to participate in your cult.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Aug 24, 2011 11:50:54 AM

7. I think this is what a Christian looks like

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 24, 2011 12:42:02 PM

8. He looks like his dad, but in a good way.

Posted by: Michael W. | Aug 24, 2011 1:11:35 PM

9. There will come a time when there will be a huge schism in Christianity and there will be those who follow the word of Jesus Christ and those who follow this hateful dogma of the modern Christian rightwing movement. People like Jay Bakker will be leading that dissection, and it won't come soon enough.

Posted by: Bart | Aug 24, 2011 1:19:12 PM

10. Wow, he looks so much like his dad without the cheeks. He's a very intelligent young man.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Aug 24, 2011 1:21:03 PM

11. You don't have to buy what he's selling if it isn't for you. No need to be condescending.

Posted by: Mr.Bates | Aug 24, 2011 1:24:40 PM

12. I'm an Atheist, but always had a soft spot for Tammy Faye. Her son seems like a lovely guy, but I will stick to my Richard Dawkins books.

Posted by: Thomas | Aug 24, 2011 1:25:23 PM

13. Very bold and wise. I'm not religious AT ALL but I wouldn't mind sitting through a Sunday sermon in Jay's church.

Posted by: sparks | Aug 24, 2011 1:39:19 PM

14. I have always respected Jay. I met him once and he had a very comfortable, open energy. His mother taught him well. He's the only minister I've ever seen that speaks to Baptist rhetoric as something that can be practically realistically in the 21st Century, not a relic of the 18th.

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 24, 2011 1:43:29 PM

15. He does his mother proud. I remember as a gay teen, having just come out and my grudgingly accepting me (in other words, she told me to get out of the house and Dad told her if she didn't take it back he'd divorce her) feeling like there was nothing left for me. Faith was never that important to me, but it still hurt because everyone against me used that as their reason. Then one day I bought an XY magazine, and I saw Tammy Faye's column on the last page. I read it and cried, because here was a woman of faith saying she loved people like me. She was saying that God loved people like me. I got a subscription to XY partially because of her column, because I needed the reassurance.

She was a true Christian, and it was a great loss when she passed. I'm glad her spirit, love, and faith are alive in her son.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 24, 2011 5:01:45 PM

16. Mr. Bates: Thank you so much for that. The disdain expressed by some on this thread toward anyone with a penchant for life beyond the material world is very telling.

Posted by: David | Aug 24, 2011 8:21:33 PM

17. Wow, actual Christians exist? JC would be proud along with his mom Tammy. Great interview!

Posted by: FunMe | Aug 24, 2011 11:13:41 PM

18. 1: You don't have to share his religion to attend his church. That comes with the "all are welcome" thing. Which is how it should be. And that is also what makes it anything BUT a cult.

2: How sad a state America is in, when a man has to explain why he believes everyone is equal.

It's not exactly a new idea. Jesus talked about it all the time. Seems most "christian" people are spitting in the face of "their creator" these days.

Pathetic and very un-Godly behaviour. Satanic, even...

Posted by: DeeperStill | Aug 25, 2011 4:00:16 AM