Catholic Church | Gay Bar | New York | News

Objecting Neighbor 'Disgusted' Over NYC Gay Bar's Plans to Expand Near Catholic School: VIDEO

NYC gay sports bar Boxers wants to open a new bar in Hell's Kitchen, and some folks are complaining.

Boxers The NY Post reports:

Owners of the popular Chelsea hangout on West 20th Street want to open Boxers HK in a building at 776 10th Ave. -- right around the corner from Sacred Heart School and right next to the playground of PS 111.

"It's disgusting," fumed Iyanth Davis, 53, a law librarian. "That's absolutely too close to these two schools . . . And the issue is not that it's a gay bar -- it's a bar . . . That's the issue."

The building Boxers wants is within 200 feet of Sacred Heart -- too close under zoning laws -- but the owners want to subdivide the place so that the bar itself sits just outside the mandated limit, neighborhood sources said.

WPIX reports that there is also a restaurant that serves liquor right across the street, as well as a liquor store.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Methinks you're lying, Ms. Davis. The issue is that it's a gay bar, and you know it.

Posted by: prophet | Aug 23, 2011 10:22:32 AM

2. Because the bar will be packed full of drunks during school hours. Because catholic institutes have a lower pedobear concentration. Psh. Dude's freaking out about nothing. Perhaps they can take a field trip to demonstrate how Jesus turned water into wine... oh nm that would imply a BREWERY.

Posted by: Chris | Aug 23, 2011 10:23:50 AM

3. But the minute I complain about having a Catholic school/church near me or being expanded, its blasphemy.

Well I don't want all those bigots and pedophiles near me, do I get the same consideration?

Posted by: Jim | Aug 23, 2011 10:24:52 AM

4. the diocese is probably concerned that they'll find half of their teaching brothers and fathers hanging out at the bar after school.

What hours do those schools operate? Shouldn't they be done way before the bar would open?

Posted by: hugo | Aug 23, 2011 10:29:15 AM

5. Uh, oh, based on the nearby evidence of existing "liquor businesses" near the school, the Papists are lying....again. Are we surprised? Noooooooooooooo!!!

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Aug 23, 2011 10:29:55 AM

6. By "people complaining", it's probably like 4 or 5 loud idiots freaking out and thinking the worst, and everyone else not caring.

What do they possibly think, kids will be admitted into the bar? That crazy drunken gays will be throwing up in the streets or shouting during school hours? How ridiculous. Me thinks the whiners need to get over themselves.

Posted by: Francis | Aug 23, 2011 10:31:19 AM

7. I watched this segment last night, and I was pretty surprised that they didn't try to spin it as a gay issue, but rather as an issue of a bar being too close to the school. You could kinda feel it hanging on the lips of some of the people though, like they wanted to say "It's because it's a gay bar" and not just because it's a bar, like there's this expectation that it's going to be this crazy, wild party place.

Posted by: Jesus | Aug 23, 2011 10:32:18 AM

8. This isn't unique to NYC. In DC, we've had an explosion in the number of small charter schools, so there now are schools EVERYWHERE. As a result, the zoning limitations of placing adult and ABC-licensed businesses near schools, playgrounds, etc. makes it just about impossible to open a new bar just about anywhere that you'd want to open one. These laws are silly, and they are anti-business. As Chris and Hugo indicated, most bars are closed during school hours, and most schools are closed during bar hours. They actually should make good neighbors.

Posted by: Guy from DC | Aug 23, 2011 10:36:15 AM

9. I think this dumb-ass needs to pick his battles and think things through before running his giant know-it-all trap. A gay bar is by far better than a straight bar anywhere. I have lived next to straight bars and gay bars... give me a gay one any day. Usually quieter, cleaner and more respectful.

Posted by: J. Page | Aug 23, 2011 10:38:16 AM

10. The bar has started a petition to gain support. http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/boxers-nyc-community-board-petition.html

I live in that neighborhood....or really it should be called a gayborhood at this point. Calling foul on it being a gay bar would be calling foul on just about every new business in the area.

The point I made on the petition is that the building they want has been vacant for years and will remain so for a long time to come. There are lots of buildings over there that are just decaying (or even worse becoming infested with rats and squatters). If the Boxers guys want to clean it up, please let them...it would make a nice addition to the restaurants and wine bars already in view of the same school and playground.

Posted by: hightemp | Aug 23, 2011 10:39:07 AM

11. Bloody Mary! What is the controversy? No they aren't really going to object to 50 jobs and cleaning up that eye sore and paying property taxes, sales taxes, and employing the neighborhood?

Posted by: BigGayJason'sBigGayBusRide | Aug 23, 2011 10:39:11 AM

12. Keep the bar. Tear down the Catholic Church.

The bar is a credit to the community.

The Church is a hotbed of child rape.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 23, 2011 10:43:26 AM

13. These people have never been to Rome obviously.

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 23, 2011 11:03:41 AM

14. This is not news.

As a former resident of the West Village, I can say that neighbors have *always* complained about bars, dance clubs, drunken patrons....if the neighborhood would rather have a gay bar than a Catholic school, well, I think that's progress.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 23, 2011 11:07:30 AM

15. Do people patronize a gay bar during school hours?

I'm just saying.....

Posted by: Steve | Aug 23, 2011 11:08:34 AM

16. UGH... how can a self-respecting gay person not LOATHE the Roman Catholic church? What a vile organization.

Posted by: Dan Cobb | Aug 23, 2011 11:30:30 AM

17. maybe it will keep the priests and brothers from molesting little boys. i find it objectionable to put a catholic church near a school.

Posted by: walter | Aug 23, 2011 12:49:39 PM

18. I'm shocked a librarian in NYC would have these views. As a law librarian myself, I decided to search in the national membership directory for her. Not surprisingly, she isn't in the directory. I think she's lying about being a librarian.

Posted by: David | Aug 23, 2011 1:09:01 PM

19. I have mixed feelings. As a gay man and a parent, I can see where some people are coming from, though I suspect their concerns are truly disingenuous.

It's simple, bars don't need to be close to schools. You can't deny that. But I suppose that if they even narrowly comply with the zoning laws then the law is the law.

Posted by: Jake Orlando | Aug 23, 2011 2:11:35 PM

20. I'm been involved in this issue from the beginning. Community Board 4 has no idea what they are doing. Having said that, I can tell you the problem is not that it's a gay bar. There are simply too many bars in the area (of any kind). Of course the media and blogs get their facts wrong. The 200 foot prohibition is for bars within 200 feet of buildings used exclusively as a church or school, measured main door to main door, AND on the same street. Board 4 doesn't understand that. Even if beyond the 200 foot distance, there is still a 500 foot limit when there are already three or more on-premises licenses. There are ways to get around that though. In the end, it depends on the place being a good neighbor.

Posted by: Hiram | Aug 23, 2011 2:40:16 PM

21. For the last ten years I've lived two blocks from this site, and walk my dog by it everyday. There is a liquor store across the street and another two blocks away open 24hrs. The bodega across the street,Sonny's, has drunks loitering outside it 24/7 playing they're music and carrying on dancing drunk and harassing women that walk by(recent news is that it's closing and the building being renovated). 10th ave is pretty quiet in this neighborhood. If the offended neighbors were smart they'd realize that more people coming to the hood means more money in the pocket of local small businesses.Those on the community board who object to this space being used as a gay bar are hypocritical bigots, plain and simple.

Posted by: ZDR | Aug 23, 2011 3:57:43 PM

22. Based on the Catholic Church's record on abusing kids and covering it up. I think the kids would be safer IN the gay bar than anywhere near a Catholic organization.

Posted by: Eric in Chicago | Aug 23, 2011 11:04:46 PM

23. A gay bar in Hell's Kitchen!? I've never heard of such a thing! (sarcasm)

Posted by: tim | Aug 24, 2011 2:09:45 AM

24. Obviously the priests don't want a gay bar so close to the church... they don't want to run into their tricks on the street in front of the church. How embarrassing!

Posted by: John | Aug 24, 2011 8:57:15 AM

25. Is the car open at 11 pm., or do the children just show up for last call? Or will they open the bar at 7:30 a.m., so the children can get a shot and a better before kindergarten?

Sorry, hateful bigots - your timing just doesn't work.

Posted by: wimsy | Aug 24, 2011 1:27:09 PM