Chaz Bono | Dance | News | Reality TV | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

Chaz Bono Casting on 'DWTS' Attacked on ABC Website

Tim Molloy at The Wrap notes that of all the announced contestants on Dancing with the Stars, Chaz Bono was by far the most talked-about on ABC's website, noting that "If Americans quickly vote Bono off the show -- or keep him on despite a middling performance, as they did with Palin -- it could reveal plenty about attitudes toward transgendered people."

Chaz_bono Writes Molloy:

"HUGE HUGE fan of this show since season two and eagerly await each season to get my dancing/entertainment 'fix'!! But when I heard that Chaz Bono was going to be on, I was sick. Not that I have anything personally again her/him, I just don't want that lifestyle choice continually flaunted in the media esp ABC," went one typical anti-Bono comment.

But for everyone who vented disgust -- or questioned whether Bono would dance with a man or woman -- there were many who defended Bono and accused his critics of bigotry.

Chaz is getting criticism from another corner as well. Thomas "pregnant man" Beatie, complained to TMZ that he was shut out of the running after Chaz expressed interest:

Beatie tells TMZ ... he reached out to casting in the hopes of landing a spot a few months ago -- but never got a call back. But after DWTS announced that Chaz would be on the show, Thomas says he thinks he knows why he was rejected -- the transgender quota had already been filled.

Thomas says he understands why producers wouldn't cast two famous transgender people on the show -- but he's still pretty bummed out ... telling us, "I wanted to try my new body out. I’m an athlete and I know I would have excelled."

Comments

1. STUFFED ANIMAL: ignorance comes in all shapes and sizes, and to all people in many ways. Have you made any attempts to do something about yours by listening to any of his story? Bono talks about his own ignorance in his journey; because he knew what a lesbian was, and felt his attraction to women, being phenotypically female must mean same-sex sexual orientation. He was ignorant of gender.

Posted by: TJ | Aug 31, 2011 1:04:45 PM

2. I agree with TJ here. A journalists job is to ask the questions the audience would most likely want the answers to.

Posted by: MikeyDallas | Aug 31, 2011 1:07:49 PM

3. Miss Stuffed Animal said: "Chaz Bono and Thomas Beattie are fame whores. The way they let their Transsexual status be exploited for sensationalistic value is, in my opinion, totally disgusting."

You tell 'em Miss Black Gay Kansas City 1993 Second Runner Up!

When a Transsexual woman is transphobic, it sure ain't pretty! Wearing fishnet stockings, a women's wig and makeup in a profile pic but bashing trans women is a tragic case of passive aggressive self hatred!

Stop attempting erasure of our own self identified trans narratives! Stop bashing trans sisters such as Ashley Love and Autumn Sandeen! Stop leaving idiotic, obscene and sexist comments for Taylor, Pam, Autumn and Ashley, sugah!

Avoid shame-based self-sabotage. Acknowledge your own plushie/furry transgender identity. The revolution begins at home, sugah!

Posted by: Cognitive Dissonance | Aug 31, 2011 5:24:13 PM

4. Wishing Chaz all the best. He has courage and determination. People need to get over themselves!

Posted by: Kate | Aug 31, 2011 5:44:44 PM

5. Was Lance Bass out by the time he was on DWTS? I know he was paired with a woman.

Posted by: Harrison | Aug 31, 2011 7:20:05 PM

6. To Jason, and others who don't accept trans people as part of the LGBT community, my own two cents.

Sure, there are things I won't be able to fully understand about what it's like to be trans, just as I'll never fully understand what it's like to be a woman or a person of color. But much of the rest of the world doesn't see those differences. To them, we are all gender outlaws. We "betray" (in their eyes) our gender by sleeping with people of the same sex (whether or not we also sleep with people of the opposite sex, which in many ways is considered even more taboo). Cross-dressers who are nevertheless heterosexual are gender outlaws for dressing outside of gender conventions. In some (much more limited) ways, early feminists were considered to be betraying their gender by defying gender conventions and choosing work outside of what was expected of them. And transgendered people are considered the biggest gender outlaws of them all.

You might accept Chaz as being a straight man now, but to the rest of the world he is still considered a gender outlaw, and for that reason is deserving of being a true member of our community.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Aug 31, 2011 7:30:08 PM

7. Good luck Chaz! I'll be cheering him on.

Posted by: Bring back the lions! | Aug 31, 2011 10:24:34 PM

8. The only reason I will be watching DWTS is because of a few people on there that I like. So if this is the way this show is going to go by putting on transgender she/he's or what ever he is on then I'll stop watching the show. This started out as a family show. But sadly this show made a choice to go this route by putting on transgender. DWTS has now joined ranks with the other programs by turning into trash tv...

Posted by: T.J. | Sep 1, 2011 2:28:44 AM

9. Thomas Beaty is not a star per the requirement in the title.

Posted by: Drew | Sep 1, 2011 2:32:49 AM

10. I don't watch this show and don't really care who's featured or who's not. I do have an honest question though: Do heavy set people do well on this show? That seem to be the elephant in the room that everybody seems to be ignoring - pun intended.

Posted by: Scot | Sep 1, 2011 4:47:46 AM

11. What is wrong with these people?! I support you Chaz along with millions of others!! Good luck & can't wait to see you rock!

Posted by: Julie | Sep 1, 2011 12:57:23 PM

12. I have been so worried about the economy, jobs, social security, medical coverage,starving people and animals, etc., I completely forgot what is really important! Chaz Bono on DWTS! I am also so relieved to find out there are so many PERFECT people in the world that can stand in judgement of others. God help all of them!

Posted by: Diana | Sep 1, 2011 3:12:51 PM

13. STUFFED ANIMAL - a brilliant question one I am sure Chaz Bono the freak will not be able to answer...

Posted by: Bonju Patten | Sep 11, 2011 10:54:37 PM

14. I am an AVID DWTS watcher. I NEVER miss an episole. While I am a married women of 33 years and have 3 hetero sexual children. I applaud Chaz Bono. Every time I see this man speak he is kinder then the time before. Maybe all the haters should take a lesson from him and just be kind. LET HIM BE.....

Posted by: karen | Sep 14, 2011 4:47:08 PM