Allen West | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Florida | News

BigGayDeal.com

Congressman Allen West Defends Remarks Comparing Homosexuality to Choosing an Ice Cream Flavor

In an interview earlier this week with Florida's Sun-Sentinel, Congressman Allen West insisted homosexuality is a behavior and compared it to choosing an ice cream flavor or riding a scooter.

Allen_west "You cannot compare me and my race to a behavior. Sexuality is a behavior. I cannot change my color. People can change their sexual behavior. I've seen people do that. I grew up in Atlanta, Georgia. So Ive seen a very different perspective on human behaviors. That's where I'm coming from with that. Everyone has the same basic rights. And no one is telling people in the gay community that they don't have the same basic rights that anyone in America has."

When asked if he thinks gay people should change their behavior, West responded:

"No. I don't think that. You know, I like chocolate chip ice cream. And I will continue to like chocolate chip ice cream. So, there's no worry about me changing to vanilla. I like to, you know, ride my motorcycle. What do you want me to do, change my behavior and ride a scooter?"

Watch the video HERE.

Yesterday, after being condemned by Rep. Lois Frankel for the remarks, West insisted they were taken out of context, and defended them, adding an attack on the repeal of "Dont' Ask, Don't Tell".

"I think that what I said was that is behavior. And so what I talked about is, I prefer, I like chocolate chip ice cream. And I'm not going against what someone prefers as their behavioral preference in their life. But when you start to understand about the United States military. The United States military serves one mission and that is to fight and win our nation's wars and if we start to take the military and try to conform it to individual behaviors no matter what those individual behaviors are we're going to lose the essence of what the United States military is."

Watch the video HERE.

You may have missed...
Rally Planned in South Florida in Response to Controversy Surrounding Congressman Allen West [tr]

Comments

1. Entitled, arrogant, and ignorant... always such a lovely combination

Posted by: Joey | Aug 11, 2011 11:53:26 AM

2. I'll have a triple scoop of Tutti-Fruiti Please....with rainbow sprinkles!!

Posted by: Jack | Aug 11, 2011 12:07:47 PM

3. Wow. A black, anti-gay bigot. Who would’ve thought?

No doubt NY2.0 and Chuck and Eric ad nauseum would say, “Oh, you must excuse him. Four hundred years of slavery and no opportunities and bad education, blah-blah-blah.” But none of that puffery changes the fact – look up and see the face of the New American Bigotry.

Posted by: Bob | Aug 11, 2011 12:09:04 PM

4. Ignorant people like Allen West tend to set up this strawman argument (that people CAN change their behavior) when nobody any side of the debate ever said otherwise.
    Of course people can change their behavior. They can NOT change their sexual orientation.
    In any case, DADT is not about behavior, it is about free speech discrimination.
    To use his own analogies (i.e. race and ice cream), the rough equivalent of DADT would be if the military had a policy that if anyone is asked their favorite flavor of ice cream they must say vanilla. Ifd someone slips up and tells the truth that he likes chocolate chip in any casual conversation even off base, then he gets fired.
    Or everybody has to pretend he's attracted to white women only. If anyone in the military lets it slip that his wife is black, he gets fired.
    Of course, someone with Allen's brand of ignorance might argue that that's NOT about free speech; it's about someone's "behavior" of having a black wife back home.
    Having a partner who is male is no more a "behavior" than having a partner who is black.
    The racial analogy works if you insert it into a parallel situation, but in exactly the opposite way that he's trying to twist it.

Posted by: GregV | Aug 11, 2011 12:29:15 PM

5. @RICK, since the majority of blacks in Florida will not vote for Allen West and it is white, conservative Republicans from which he gets the lions share of his votes, maybe you as a Republican can stand up and speak to him about his bigotry? Or maybe not!

Posted by: NY2.0 | Aug 11, 2011 12:33:21 PM

6. BOB,

NY2.0 wouldn't like a right-wing conservative whether he's Black, White or Off White.

And who the f..k are Eric and Chuck? You must be on the wrong blog--go where ever the hell ad nauseum is and stay there.

We have some real nuts posting today.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 11, 2011 12:35:57 PM

7. Towleroad has an Allen West campaign advertisement. Hey the Gay folk might not like his politics but the money sure is fine.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Aug 11, 2011 12:44:22 PM

8. "We have some real nuts posting today"

That's right Derrick, starting with YOU.

Posted by: Bob | Aug 11, 2011 12:45:36 PM

9. Allen West, is it really true that you "cannot change" your color? Have you ever tried? I bet if you put in a solid two years of effort (shorter than many ex-gay programs) you could find medical ways to change your skin color. Heck, look at Sammy Sosa after just a few months. Would changing your color change your identity? Should anyone be entitled to base your rights on making this sort of change?

The world is weird. You might even end up like this guy:

Posted by: Yeek | Aug 11, 2011 12:54:10 PM

10. he probably wants to lick the ice cream cone. did he chose to be black? i doubt it.

Posted by: walter | Aug 11, 2011 1:00:42 PM

11. Always a comparison. If Mr West had simply espoused his nonsense and left his race off the table, I would chide anyone from commenting on it. But, alas, as usual...he used it as a point to try and invalidate the LGBT community as "simply acting and choosing to be that way".
    Being of a biracial background myself (white/black/latin) I always have mixed feelings, as I know the feelings of being treated poorly from all angles. Never white enough, never black enough, never gay enough...or...too much of any of them.
    This mentality that all of the minority groups have to squabble like baby chicks fighting for that last bit of the worm is tiresome at best. I have talked to my black father at length about this...and he says its just as prevelant within the community...lighter skin versus darker, "good" hair versus kinky, educated versus not. So the outward projection of these conflicts onto other groups seems only expected. Im definatly in the camp of "you should know better"...sorry...but they should.
    If an adult fights with a child, you look at the adult and say "cmon, you should know better"...an experienced employee starts making the same mistakes as the new guy, you say "you have been through this before, get it together."
    And, if you as a minority group know the pain of being treated like less than, then you should be a little more sensitive to other groups going through it.
    Not that the LGBT community is any better, as racism is alive and well there too, but I have given the same lecture to my LGBT brothers and sisters when the topic came up.
    And Derrick, drop the "dont mess with me" nonsense. Plus, I find it funny that you are always "so tired" of this topic, yet, put a black person on this site making an anti gay comment, and you cant seem to get to your keyboard fast enough.

Posted by: JT | Aug 11, 2011 1:07:55 PM

12. @Derrick, BOB is the type that would still vote Republican even if Allen West was on the ticket for VP with say Romney, Perry or Bachmann.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Aug 11, 2011 1:09:23 PM

13. Allen West is ignorant, and that is something he choose to be.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Aug 11, 2011 1:21:51 PM

14. "And Derrick, drop the "dont mess with me" nonsense. Plus, I find it funny that you are always "so tired" of this topic, yet, put a black person on this site making an anti gay comment, and you cant seem to get to your keyboard fast enough"

And who would I be responding to, JT? The Black Bigot or some White Gay Bigot making slurs and insults against all Black people? Did you tell your Black daddy about that? Would he care? Maybe your mamma would.

Funny, I never remember you responding to the nasty anti-Black comments by White supremacist Gays...can't get to your keyboard slow enough, huh?

You're messin' with me, JT. You know Tiger Woods can use a new caddie...bet he'd love to have one who shares his beliefs

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 11, 2011 1:34:50 PM

15. The whole issue of preference vs. nature is a straw man deal. Let's say I prefer gay sex and prefer to spend the rest of my life married to someone of my own gender. SO WHAT? Am I free to do so or not? If not, why the hell not? No one gets to decide my pursuit of happiness that harms no one.

I understand we tend to prevail only with people and courts that see one's sexual attraction is certainly NOT like choosing an ice cream flavor - but of course, when it comes down to it, free choice should be the crux of the matter, and vanilla or mint chip should be up to each of us.

Posted by: Zlick | Aug 11, 2011 1:35:53 PM

16. Alan West chose to be black. He can change. Look at Michael Jackson.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 11, 2011 1:41:16 PM

17. His mention of Atlanta I assume, is to do with a larger population of gays and african americans and the fact that those gay African Americans are often forced to hide in a closet so as to not be kicked out of their families and that is what he is wrongly referring to as a changed behavior. That is a hidden behavior, not a changed one and this fool doesnt know or care about the difference.

Posted by: MrJ | Aug 11, 2011 2:08:53 PM

18. I really wish African American politicians like Allen West would stop using the "I cannot change my color" argument... Michael Jackson did it.

Posted by: Ryan | Aug 11, 2011 2:22:21 PM

19. Just another idiot that slept through Biology!

Posted by: Brains | Aug 11, 2011 2:28:22 PM

20. david ehrenstein

LOL

U'r bad

;-P

Posted by: say what | Aug 11, 2011 2:38:45 PM

21. Would this congressman have chosen intelligence if his destiny had not been stupidity?

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Aug 11, 2011 2:39:23 PM

22. You have no idea HOW Bad!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 11, 2011 4:01:36 PM

23. Whenever I hear these analogies to choosing among various equally tempting choices like flavors or color of shirt, I always highly suspect the speaker is bisexual. True heterosexuals, as well as gays, don't see a hot woman at left and a hot man at right and feel a sense of conflicting choices, as if either one could tickle their fancy.
    He may seriously not get that most of the world is very much lopsided in their natural attractions toward one sex or the other.

Posted by: Gregv | Aug 11, 2011 4:05:28 PM

24. just clicked on west ad and asked for his opponents name so i could send him money

Posted by: walter | Aug 11, 2011 5:07:25 PM

25. The people above making the ignorant Michael Jackson comments are just about as repugnant as Allen West. Michael Jackson didn't choose anything. He had a skin disorder called "vitiligo". Do a Google image search for "vitiligo" and you will see the many different people who that disorder has affected.

Now as far as the nose jobs....that was his choice!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Aug 11, 2011 5:51:55 PM