BigGayDeal.com

GLAAD Condemns Adam Carolla's Anti-Gay, Anti-Trans Rant

Carolla I have heard some pretty disturbing rants in my years reporting on LGBT politics.

Politicians call us deviants, others say we're pedophiles or liken our relationships to bestiality. And still other opponents claim we're part of Satan.

Few diatribes, however, are as despicable and repulsive as Adam Carolla's remarks about LGBT -- particularly transgender people -- on last Thursday's episode of his podcast.

Discussing a petition calling for Sesame Street characters Bert and Ernie to get married, and the term LGBT, Carolla commented, "When did everybody get fucking lumped in with the gays? Really? What percentage is transgendered?"

He then went to asked, "When did we start giving a shit about these people?"

The former Man Show host even wondered about the various permutations of trans-identity, like post-op female-to-male, at which point he took a cheap shot at Chaz Bono: "Every time I see Chaz Bono, my cock looks at me and says, 'Wha?''

As if that's not enough, he also says that LGBT people need to "shut up" about equal rights.

Ug, it's all so gross. It's not even as if Carolla's making a self-aware joke. He's just being hateful. (If you have the stomach, you can listen to the audio here.)

Read more, AFTER THE JUMP...

You can bet your bottom dollar that GLAAD is all over this, and this after released a statement not only condemning Carolla's remarks, but reminding readers that the "comedian" has a history of anti-gay language: he has previously said that same-sex couples are not as good at parenting as their straight counterparts. What's more, GLAAD points out that Carolla derides other social and cultural groups, as well:

...LGBT people are hardly the only community about which Carolla has made ignorant remarks. In the past, Carolla has called the people of Hawaii “dumb,” “stupid,” “in-bred,” and “retarded” people who are among the “dumbest people we have.” Last year, Carolla referred to a Filipino boxer as being illiterate, having brain damage, and someone who prays to chicken bones – and stated that this boxer was ‘all the people of the Philippines have.’

In the group's statement on the matter, Herndon Graddick, GLAAD's Senior Director of Media Programs, remarks, "Given his history of anti-gay and racist comments, networks and advertisers should know what their money is supporting if they choose to hire Adam Carolla. The gross intolerance that he tries to pass off as comedy should not have a place on our airwaves.”

These sorts of comments don't belong on our airwaves, in our latrines, or anywhere else. Sadly, they do, and you can hear his audienec yucking it up in the background.

Comments

1. HA--What the hell are you talking about? I will ridicule Palin and Bachman and the Christianists forever. Their problem is not an innate feature of their sexual character, and the abuse I intend to heap on them is not a matter of stereotyping. I am disgusted by them because of their bigoted and politically horrific policies and attitudes. If I attacked them just because they were white, or Presbyterian, or female or whatever, your point may be valid, but these are people who are attempting to achieve great power they hope to use in very evil ways...hardly a description of transgendered people. Your argument is frankly ridiculous.

Posted by: candideinnc | Aug 15, 2011 6:52:50 PM

2. corolla is always been and will always be a no talent self promoting bag of sh-t. he will never change and who cares he is a has been or never was. time for television to get rid of all the garbage.

Posted by: walter | Aug 15, 2011 6:54:18 PM

3. The Adam Carollas of the world are everywhere. They're in radio, they're in music, they're in TV, they're in shopping malls...basically everywhere.

We in the gay community have spent too much time criticizing Republican politicians and not enough time criticizing jerks like Carolla. It's high time we got our priorities right.

Posted by: jason | Aug 15, 2011 6:56:09 PM

4. Shut up, Taco, and get back to making a remake of your Puttin' on the Ritz video.

Posted by: Troy | Aug 15, 2011 6:56:56 PM

5. Never heard of the loser.

Posted by: Kevin | Aug 15, 2011 6:58:30 PM

6. i don't like corolla's humor, but i'm also not a fan of censorship. if you don't like it, don't listen to him.

Posted by: Ryan | Aug 15, 2011 6:59:52 PM

7. I like Carolla for the most part but let's all understand he's a comedian known for talking and talking and talking. He's bound to say something stupid now and again.

I actually listened to the clip and his point is: 1) Why are transgendered folks lumped into the same group as gays? Fair question, actually. He then makes some off-color jokes about them. 2) Bert and Ernie are not sexual and using them as a way to teach our 5-year-olds about gay issues is stupid and the proposal to get them married is idiotic. Which it is.

Adam spent a lot of years on LoveLine helping a lot of gay kids who called in and, while he probably joked a lot, he did want to help.

Posted by: Richard | Aug 15, 2011 7:06:54 PM

8. To the people commenting on transgender people's presence in the gay community, don't forget that's not a new thing. Transwomen were at the Stonewall Riots, they just weren't referred to as "transgender" in that era, they were still called drag queens or transvestites, eg Sylvia Rivera and Marsha P. Johnson of STAR, the latter of whom was one of the leaders of the riots and (I believe) was credited as the one who threw the first punch.

Posted by: Maggie | Aug 15, 2011 7:11:00 PM

9. I've heard gay men say the SAME things.

Posted by: Haga | Aug 15, 2011 7:18:28 PM

10. Adam already has sent out an "apology" to TMZ. He says he's sorry his comments hurt people, and that he's not a politician but a comedian.

The guy is saying what about 40% of Americans are thinking, so more than anything it's a good thing his bigotry has been exposed, so we can highlight it for what it is. Outside of that, I couldn't care less. He's insignificant and a loser.

Posted by: Francis | Aug 15, 2011 7:22:58 PM

11. Adam Carolla's upset because Andrew Dice Clay turned down his marriage proprosal.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 15, 2011 7:29:42 PM

12. I know I am in the minority but I have asked those very questions myself, only to find "my community" completely outraged. Why is it wrong to ask the question? How much do we have in common? What exactly is our commonality? Is it really a moral outrage to ask these questions when MOST gay men are pretty racist, ageist, etc. We are not this lovely, peaceful community that spends weekends working on our organic gardens. We like our sex, our drugs, our extremely deep criticism of one another for any variety of reasons and yet, to simply the question is to walk some of moral plank. I know your are going to be outraged, so if you could keep your biting, bitchy comments to yourself and actually discuss, it would be appreciated.

Posted by: Sebastian | Aug 15, 2011 7:30:44 PM

13. Ummmmmmmmm

THE MAN SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was on for how effin' long????????

It was a misogynistic piece of crap but did anyone protest it? Nope. It was "funny".

I'm all...whatever.

Posted by: Rin | Aug 15, 2011 7:36:34 PM

14. He's always been an offensive shithead, and now, apparently, he's an offensive shithead who is desperate for attention.

I might have a modicum of respect for him, however, if he refuses to apologize. At least then he'll be an honest, offensive shithead.

Posted by: pinko | Aug 15, 2011 7:48:01 PM

15. Why add to his 15 minutes?

Posted by: benjamin | Aug 15, 2011 9:03:43 PM

16. I'm sorry, this is vaguely offensive, but this is not enough REAL hostility toward gays to get worked up about.

I don't want to whitewash the entire culture out of politically incorrect rants and jokes. He's not threatening us, he's just a bit homophobic, and I can deal with that.

Posted by: will | Aug 15, 2011 9:21:03 PM

17. You all need to find something better to do with your time than attacking comedians. Yes, comedy is subjective, but just like you have the right to be upset, Adam has the right to attempt jokes. Just because you don't find them funny doesn't mean other people like me don't. I laughed my ass off. And I am very accepting of alternative lifestyles. I had an uncle that died of aids that he contracted from gay sex. It's just a goddamn joke. Get over yourselves and find something better to do with your time than police comedy.

Posted by: Jake | Aug 15, 2011 9:24:13 PM

18. Amazing how the sentiment is completely different with some when it's Adam Corolla and not Tracy Morgan. Hmmmm...wonder why? Some things never change. They are both comedians right?

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Aug 15, 2011 10:12:02 PM

19. The Gay American community deserves this for picking fights over such ridiculous issues as puppet sexuality.

Posted by: ... | Aug 15, 2011 10:46:20 PM

20. Adam who? This is probably some stupid way to get his name into the news, a desperate attempt to get attention.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 15, 2011 10:52:41 PM

21. Look at that photo. I can hardly take a radio host that wears so much makeup and has so much plastic surgery done seriously. That said, let's make him suffer. ;-)

Posted by: mike128 | Aug 15, 2011 10:53:51 PM

22. THANK YOU @Brian in Texas, I was thinking the exact same thing!

Posted by: Sinclair | Aug 15, 2011 10:54:08 PM

23. When I see Chaz Bono I don't look at my cock, because just being happy enough for him now that he's comfortable in his own skin, is enough for me. It's alright if there's a person I don't want to think about having sex with. I move on. This guy has very little talent and needs to make up for it with outrageous rants.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 16, 2011 12:04:01 AM

24. I read Adam Carolla's book (In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks: . . . And Other Complaints from an Angry Middle-Aged White Guy) while on vacation in Hawaii. My straight brother brought it. The book was hilarious. It gave us a lot to laugh about and brought us together. You guys are embarrassing yourselves. Adam Corolla is not a politician or a leader in any way. He's a comedian whose stick is doing a man's show. He says the dumb things guys think about. Lighten up.

Posted by: Markus | Aug 16, 2011 12:36:38 AM

25. "Its ok to say horrible things about Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann or Rick Perry, but say something about gay people and WAAHOO!!."

You know what we call this? A Straw Man argument. Nice job.

Posted by: James | Aug 16, 2011 1:05:58 AM