2012 Election | Jon Stewart | Michelle Bachmann | News

BigGayDeal.com

Jon Stewart Calls 'Newsweek' Out for Its 'Crazy' Michele Bachmann Cover: VIDEO

Bachmann_stewart

Jon Stewart said that Newsweek should be ashamed of itself for its 'crazy' Michele Bachmann cover.

Said Stewart:

"You gotta go pretty far out of your way to find a crappy photo of Michele Bachmann — and you did...Be honest, Newsweek. You used that photo in a petty attempt to make Michele Bachmann look crazy...You want a photo that makes her seem a bit off? Make it out of her words."

Joy Behar and panel also took a look at the photo.

Watch both clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I gotta be honest, I can't remember the last photo of here where I didn't think she looked crazy.

Posted by: rafi | Aug 10, 2011 9:53:48 AM

2. He's right...

As amusing as it is, it's a distraction from her very real craZy...

And, it provides fodder for their "media is biased & mean to us" mentality.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Aug 10, 2011 10:00:01 AM

3. This is nothing new, ask Howard Dean.

Posted by: acorlando | Aug 10, 2011 10:03:56 AM

4. I'm sorry but what photos has Jon Stewart been looking at!?!? She ALWAYS looks crazy because she IS crazy!!! I'd love to see the contact sheets from that photo shoot. I wouldn't be surprised if they picked the least crazy looking one.

Posted by: andy | Aug 10, 2011 10:04:46 AM

5. the victim card again. everybody is picking on them. meanwhile their rhetoric has nothing to do with it.

Posted by: walter | Aug 10, 2011 10:11:37 AM

6. I'm sorry but she has always looked just like that to me - crazy. I would say that photo looks right into her soul, if she had one.

Posted by: Jim | Aug 10, 2011 10:12:39 AM

7. I guess it's good that JS is being nonpartisan, but like everyone else has said here that would looks crazy in EVERY photograph! I think JS was simply trying garner a bit of an impression of impartiality by taking her side.

Posted by: MT | Aug 10, 2011 10:19:43 AM

8. That women, that is . . .

Posted by: MT | Aug 10, 2011 10:20:19 AM

9. ummm I normally agree with john Stewart..but this is HER OWN MAKING....you mean to tell me - Newsweek gave her NO say in picking out pics? None? I cant beleive that! ..and anyways she POSED for them....its not a (gotcha' pic)

Posted by: Gay American | Aug 10, 2011 10:21:16 AM

10. Yeah, Stewart is way off base here. The pictures of Bachmann on her own website are as crazy as that Newsweek cover. "You gotta go pretty far out of your way to find a crappy photo of Michele Bachmann"? Quite the contrary; someone find me one good one. She looks crazy in the photo because she looks crazy.

Posted by: Andrew Wheeler | Aug 10, 2011 10:27:21 AM

11. She looks crazy because she *is* crazy. At least 50% of her pictures clearly display her batshit-insanity, this is nothing new. As a friend of mine put it:

"The media is so manipulative in this photo of Tom Selleck. They shot it to make it look like he has a mustache."

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Aug 10, 2011 10:47:14 AM

12. Stewart has become more self-righteous since his Rally to Restore Sanity. I used to watch Daily Show and Colbert every night. Now, just Colbert--they cover the same topics anyway and Stephen is just so much more entertaining. Plus, Colbert's writers are less shticky. I hate the standard Stewart shtick. It's become tired.

Posted by: Really? | Aug 10, 2011 11:04:34 AM

13. That's the thing about Stewart: when he's wrong, he's really wrong.

Every time since he started going out of his way to prove he's "fair and balanced", the jokes fall flat. It's not because the Democrats or the left can do no wrong, it's because of the fights he chooses.

Congratulations on defending Michele "Crazy Eyes" Bachmann on somebody daring to publish a pic of her looking crazy -- as if there was any other option whatsoever.

And I suppose Newsweek would have done the right thing if they actually managed to have an unrepresentative photo of her not looking crazy or if they doctored a normal pic of her to erase her insanity?

Stewart, leave the "fair and balanced" act to the people who invented it.

Posted by: ohplease | Aug 10, 2011 11:29:46 AM

14. I usually like John Stewart (and I despise Marcus Bachmann), but Stewart's level of blatant hypocrisy here is gigantic. So he's gonna chide Newsweek for using this photo of Michelle Bachmann when his own show does exactly this kind of thing all the time, choosing the most unflattering picture or video (and often even photoshopping them) of somebody he wants to attack to "illustrate" whatever point he's making. Case in point, Michelle Bachmann's husband, who, notice in the following segment Stewart illustrates with an unflattering open mouthed photo and then plays an unflattering video of Marcus Bachmann dancing, sets it against a scene where one of the gay couple from the sitcom "Modern Family" is dancing, to talk about how "gay" Marcus Bachmann seems.

Now, Stewarts piece, to its credit, is calling the Bachmannn's on their homophobic bullsh*t. (And it may be as impossible to find a non ridiculously gay image of Marcus Bachmann as it is to find a non-crazy picture of Michelle).

But Stewart can't have it both ways-- he's obviously very comfortable when he wants to run highly unflattering photos or videos of the way people look to make an editorial point, but if Newsweek does it, suddenly John Stewart turns into a high-and-mighty scold?

No, John Stewart, quit trying to pretend to be Mr. Above-It-All, like you did with that disingenuous "Rally to Restore Sanity." You're being a giant hypocrite.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Aug 10, 2011 11:32:30 AM

15. To repeat... "She looks crazy because she IS crazy!"

Posted by: Jim | Aug 10, 2011 11:42:35 AM

16. Did she have plastic surgery around the eyes?

Posted by: anon | Aug 10, 2011 11:43:43 AM

17. @BOBBYJOE:

They're two different things. Newsweek is supposed to be NEWS. Stewart's show is COMEDY. It's on COMEDY Central.

Posted by: Bradford | Aug 10, 2011 11:47:28 AM

18. If you look closely at ANY picture of Michelle Bachmann you'll see the same "crazy eyes". If you don't believe me, try it. It's quite bizarre actually. I'm surprised that more people haven't noticed.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 10, 2011 11:49:20 AM

19. So much talk about the cover... makes it very good cover.

Posted by: Matt26 | Aug 10, 2011 11:49:53 AM

20. Stewart CAN have it both ways, because his is a COMEDY show, and Newsweek is, well, NEWS! But I have to go with the majority here. She ALWAYS looks crazy to me. Until I heard there was a "controversy," I saw it as just another photo of Bachmann. It is what it is.

Posted by: TJ | Aug 10, 2011 11:50:35 AM

21. Bradford and TJ are correct, of course. Even though The Daily Show is, sadly, one of the few sources of actual news in this country. I say "sadly" because it is not a news show. It is a comedy show.

He could have mined the Newsweek pic for comedy gold, but, instead, he decided he was going to do his "fair and balanced" act again. Because Michele Bachmann is sooo not crazy and has never looked crazy before. Hey, Stewart, next time go for the funny -- that's what they pay you for.

In this particular instance, Newsweek has not failed at being a news magazine, but Stewart has failed at being a comedian.

Posted by: ohplease | Aug 10, 2011 12:36:20 PM

22. Stewart does political commentary. So does Newsweek.

Newsweek is NOT pure news, any more than Stewart is pure comedy. Newsweek is-- and always has been-- full of editorials and opinion pieces. This wouldn't be the first time, by a long shot, that a magazine like Newsweek was running a cover raising controversy or making some editorial point. I don't know why anyone other than Polyanna or Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm who just fell off the turnip truck would act astonished that a Newsweek cover would have an editorial slant. Why shouldn't it? Since when did it not?

Sometimes their (often right-leaning) slants in the past have p*ssed me off greatly, but I'm not gonna pretend to clutch my pearls and be taken aback by it like Stewart is here. This is a magazine that even before Tina Brown took over, ran covers with captions like "Is Your Baby Racist?" They recently had a cover photo of Obama juggling all this stuff with the caption "Is The Presidency Too Much for One Man?" Newsweek covers raise editorial points all the time, and, gee whiz, sometimes even doctor photos to do so (which they didn't do with Bachmann's). Obama wasn't really juggling all that stuff, y'know.

Stewart might possibly have a point were this the cover of a newspaper with a record of being steadfastly objective. But magazines like Time and Newsweek have been deliberately generating controversy since at least the 1940s, when Time cheekily named Hitler "Man of the Year" on its cover.

Stewart is being phony about all this. He's not the only one allowed to use photos or anything else to make editorial or controversial points, just because he claims he's just doing comedy. Stewart IS a political commentator. A funny one, but one never-the-less. He's mean when he wants to be, with photos and videos and anything else he can use to make certain people look bad-- and its not just for comedy-- it supports his political worldview. Which is fine. But he needs to own it, and stop pretending like he's shocked and outraged and above-it-all when somebody else does it, by hiding behind some disingenuous stance that all he does is simply "comedy."

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Aug 10, 2011 12:38:31 PM

23. Oh freaking come on guys! Yes Bachman is batshit crazy, but that is not a good photo of her. I like Newsweek, but they have a history of doing this to candidates they do not like. Call a spade a spade.

Posted by: TDSE | Aug 10, 2011 1:52:03 PM

24. I totally agree with the Stewart's monologue. I had the same response to the photo on Newsweek. I am a progressive, politically, and I think the choice of that cover photo was wrong!

Posted by: rb | Aug 10, 2011 2:01:26 PM

25. Jon Stewart: not the point. If the people over at Faux News hadn't been making such a big deal of it, Stewart wouldn't have had anything to take aim at.

Posted by: Jerry | Aug 10, 2011 2:55:25 PM