Gay Stories | I'm from Driftwood | LGBT Stories | Montana | Nathan Manske | News

BigGayDeal.com

LGBT Stories: It's Okay To Be Gay In Montana

Mark dubois TR

BY NATHAN MANSKE

Guestblogger Of the nearly 170 stories we collected on the Tour, I think this one is my favorite setting. The mountains, the horses, the mobile home with the rainbow decoration waving in the wind, all as the backdrop to Mark talking about how it's okay to be gay in Montana. Oh, and of course the chihuahua who insisted on sitting in my lap for the duration of the filming.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Driftwood Nathan Manske and Marquise Lee embarked on a 4 month, 50 state tour of the United States collecting stories for their I'm From Driftwood site. We'll be sharing some of the stories they collected along with some of the insight into what they saw. They're still encouraging people to submit their written stories via IFD. You can follow IFD on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

CHECK OUT OUR RECENT LGBT STORIES...
Teen Becomes More Popular After Coming Out in Conservative Town [tr]
Bullying Affects Everyone [tr]
Accidental Online Chat Leads to 13 Years of Love [tr]
A Man's Journey Into - and Out of - 'Ex-Gay' Therapy[tr]
Gay Teen Saved by Lesbian Teacher, Outed, Excommunicated by Church [tr]

Comments

1. Lovely video but it drives me bonkers when folks, ESPECIALLY gay folks, equate being gay with "what you do in the bedroom." Being gay is not a sex act. It's an orientation.

Do they serve corndogs in Montana?

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Aug 23, 2011 12:28:25 PM

2. I attended a summer session at a Geology Field Camp in the Tobacco Root Mountains near Whitehall, Montana. The mayor of Whitehall was gay.

Some of the people there said that he had been elected because he knew how to take care of the flower beds that lined Legion Avenue. They said that was the main job of the mayor of Whitehall.

The flower beds are gone now but they still have a mayor.

Posted by: Girl Please Stop! | Aug 23, 2011 1:54:46 PM

3. Well Marcus, the churchie folks focus on the "man laying w/a man as he would a woman" (paraphrasing there) refrence in the bible as their proof that 'mos are bad and going to hell so says their god. The Montana dude was pointing out that contrary to what everyone would think the folks in his area (state?) are more concerned in that "content of your character" thingie than who and how yer poking someone.
    I often wonder why we never hear about them same churchie folks picketing resturants that serve shell fish (or loudly proclaim they don't eat shelly fish) since according to that same book it's a similar level "sin" to eat steamer clams as having a good bout of man sex. I do both :)

Posted by: KevInPDX | Aug 23, 2011 3:35:04 PM

4. Major WOOOOOOOOF!! Damn, they grow 'em HOT in Montana. (Don't think I'd like being an hour or more away from a movie theater/bookstore/hospital though...)

Posted by: Dback | Aug 23, 2011 3:45:06 PM

5. The Montana dude is one attractive fellow

Posted by: jaragon | Aug 23, 2011 6:06:31 PM

6. "I've run into more bigotry in big cities" followed by stories about slurs on the streets and fights in bars involving your wheelchair-bound mom makes me wonder what sorts of things the guy runs into when he's visiting NY or Chicago...

Posted by: BobN | Aug 23, 2011 6:56:23 PM

7. I've had a few comments tossed my way when holding hands with my boyfriend in Chicago (usually very harmless) but I'm not stupid enough to think that it wouldn't have been a million times worse if I had even *attempted* that sort of thing when I lived in Kansas. I think he's equating a lack of neighbors with a lack of intolerance.

Posted by: Robert | Aug 23, 2011 9:07:42 PM

8. Having lived in Helena for 7 years (1978 to 1983) and in Billings for 12 more (1983 to 1995) where there has been a successful gay bar for over 20 years, I miss living there. What Mark doesn't say clearly is that Montanans tend to believe in the philosophy of "mind your own damned business". He's telling the truth that if you are good to your neighbor, and contribute to your community, you have a place in Montana. Hate crimes happen everywhere--don't assume that "rural" means "bigot".

Posted by: Kel | Aug 23, 2011 11:43:22 PM

9. Reminds me of the movie Brokeback Mountain. It shows you that places like Montana and Alberta (next door here in Canada where the movie was filmed) can be a paradise either if your gay or straight. Since I live in Edmonton Alberta's capital being gay is not a problem. Western Canada home to hot cowboys etc is a very tolerant and a fantastic place to live both in society and physically!

Posted by: Darrell | Aug 24, 2011 1:50:25 AM