Michele Bachmann Again Avoids Gay Questions, Won't Say Whether Gay Parents Are 'Family' (Video)

BachmannMTP

Michele Bachmann has become quite tenacious in her refusal to answer "frivolous" questions about LGBT politics.

The Republican presidential candidate, for example, stonewalled an Iowa news station for broaching the subject, and dodged inquiries about husband Marcus' anti-gay clinics at the National Press Club.

Well, now that she's making the post-Ames Straw Poll press rounds, Bachmann's still playing hard to get.

Bachmann appeared today on NBC's Meet the Press, where host David Gregory asked her to reply to her infamous 2004 comment that "gay" is "part of Satan." Bachmann truly didn't want to engage, and remarked, "Well, i'm running for the presidency of the united states; i'm not running to be anyone's judge."

She went on to claim, without a bit of irony, "I ascribe honor and dignity to every person, no matter what their background." Gregory wondered whether her past statements really do qualify as "dignity," to which Bachmann replied, again, "I am not anyone's judge... I'm running for the presidency."

Bachmann also told Gregory that she would have no problem inviting an openly LGBT person into her cabinet: "I would look, first of all, will they uphold the Constitution of the United States? And, number two, are they competent to do what they need to do? And are they the best at who they are? That's my criteria, nothing more."

Gregory ended the segment by wondering, since Bachmann believes marriage should only be between a man and a woman, whether same-sex parents and their children qualify as a "family." She tried to avoid answering by saying, "All these kinds of questions aren't about what people are concerned about right now."

Considering that the U.S. Census shows a marked rise in the number of families headed by same-sex couples, I'd venture to guess plenty of people are interested in her view.

Meanwhile, over at CNN, Bachmann told Candy Crowley she would consider reinstating Don't Ask, Don't Tell: "The ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy has worked very well. I would be in consultation with our commanders but yes, I probably will [reinstate the policy].”

Watch video of Bachmann and Gregory's exchange, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This woman is totally insane, if she becomes president I am making Canada my permanent residence, although I think she has zero percent chance to win.

Posted by: Ryan | Aug 14, 2011 11:37:56 PM

2. Can we all now please get behind Obama 100%?

Posted by: Jack | Aug 15, 2011 12:02:24 AM

3. David Gregory is an idiot. We need openly gay people in his position to take that wench on. She said that she would appoint people who have the same views as her. The follow up question is " do you think gay people have the same views as you?" This is getting rediculous. I do not need David Gregory aka a bad looking Andy Warhol poossyfooting around this vile homophobe.

Posted by: ewe | Aug 15, 2011 12:30:03 AM

4. Has the Bummer evolved yet?

Posted by: ewe | Aug 15, 2011 12:31:19 AM

5. When she says that she wants to reinstate DADT the follow-up question should be: Are you willing to fire tens of thousands of gay servicemembers who will already be out to their coworkers?

Posted by: Craig | Aug 15, 2011 12:42:17 AM

6. Believe you will love it.

We have good reputation, fashion products,

come here quickly== http://www.jordanforworld.com

Opportunity knocks but once

Posted by: zhongrto | Aug 15, 2011 4:31:49 AM

7. "Well, i'm running for the presidency of the united states; i'm not running to be anyone's judge."
    - Not even God?

Posted by: samsara | Aug 15, 2011 4:44:57 AM

8. Marcus Bachmann is the biggest closet case I have ever seen!!

Posted by: Mojojackson808 | Aug 15, 2011 5:25:06 AM

9. It just blows my mind that anyone at all wants to see this psycho become President of the US. I look forward to her having to actually perform in a debate against (presumably) Obama. He will wipe the floor with her.

Posted by: justinw | Aug 15, 2011 6:46:42 AM

10. I'd say calling gay "satanic" is pretty judgmental.

Meanwhile it appears that reality has finally forced-fed the Bachmann's the information that the country doesn't hate queers quite as much as they thought.

Posted by: Danny | Aug 15, 2011 7:16:37 AM

11. She doesn't "judge", but she "will" reinstate "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". After all, "it has worked very well".
    Seriously?!
    Guess what, Michelle, plenty of people are going to judge you.

Posted by: John | Aug 15, 2011 8:06:15 AM

12. The Gay=Satan thing is just another Fundy code word.

The translation goes something like--

Repubs are the party of God...if you vote for Democrats you're voting for Evil.

Bachmann doesn't appeal to the educated voters who see right through those tactics.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 15, 2011 8:41:12 AM

13. I so, so wish Obama could debate her one on one, but she won't make it to the general election.

Barack Obama vs. Rick Perry - who are you choosing?

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 15, 2011 1:14:18 PM

14. "The ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy has worked very well" IN HER MARRIAGE.

Posted by: surph | Aug 15, 2011 3:09:14 PM

15. Please! David Gregory gave her a pass. He remains out-of-his-league on this show.

Posted by: Perry | Aug 15, 2011 5:12:08 PM