Detroit | Michigan | News

Detroit's LGBT Community, Celebrated: VIDEO

Detroit

Detroit has been one of the hardest hit areas economically over the past five years, but that doesn't mean it offers no opportunities. I really don't know much about its LGBT community, though this rather slick clip, put together by Team Detroit, the ad agency known for their work with Ford Motor Company, is a sweet introduction.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via supergay detroit)

MotorCity Pride from 4exit4 on Vimeo.

Comments

1. Sounds like a fantastic place, I want to go!

Wait, I already live in Detroit and question most everything in the video except the quality of Avalon breads and the nature of the economy.

+1 for slick advertising though!

Posted by: Ed | Aug 1, 2011 7:33:04 PM

2. Encouraging.

Posted by: Mike F | Aug 1, 2011 7:40:54 PM

3. DETROIT SUCKS!!!!!

Posted by: Josh6852 | Aug 1, 2011 7:42:58 PM

4. Hats off to all the people there sticking around and giving it a try... But...

1. Why, oh why, would they use a spokesperson who refers to the "gay lifestyle"?
    2. What with the apologies for a gay night at a bar being too gay?.
    3. "We spent $200K on this house, but it's would probably go for $75K today?" There's a positive way to spin declining property values. This is not one of them.

But, hey, I'm one of the people who left 15 years ago. Not to be mean, but really, probably the best decision of my life.

Posted by: oneway | Aug 1, 2011 7:59:27 PM

5. Michigan has a very anti gay constitutional marriage amendment. Just where I'd want to live, somewhere where my husband and I are treated as legal strangers!

Posted by: Craig | Aug 1, 2011 8:24:18 PM

6. Just don't get caught there after sundown.

Posted by: prophet | Aug 1, 2011 8:38:50 PM

7. Slick video- I'm not sure I would want to move there but they do make a nice case for trying

Posted by: jaragon | Aug 1, 2011 8:41:19 PM

8. That's my hometown. I left after graduating from Ann Arbor about 20 years ago. I often think of going back, but just wonder what kind of job opportunities are there for me and my husband. With that said, it is a great place. Go Red Wings!

Posted by: downtownla | Aug 1, 2011 9:16:19 PM

9. If you are the urban pioneer type, you can get a beautiful brick mansion for about $30 - 50K. In nice neighborhoods. Want to be an artist and not worry about rent? This is the place to start out.

Posted by: Bubba | Aug 1, 2011 9:35:10 PM

10. It's interesting because as an outsider who was big in in the rave scene-Detroit WAS the home of techno-and it was looked upon as magnificent despots it's turmoil. Because the house music scene came out of the broken streets and barren landscapes.

Awesome place.

Posted by: Rowan | Aug 1, 2011 10:15:21 PM

11. Grew up in the Detroit area, had a Gay radio show in the early 80's, went to Gay marches in Detroit in the early 80's, and moved away a couple of years later - every time I've visited since, I just feel depressed at what happened to a once-great city after the white flight in the 50's and 60's, the riots in the 60's and the decline of the auto industry. Even Motown left - I agree with the poster who said leaving was the best thing they ever did, unforunately...

Posted by: Daffyd | Aug 1, 2011 10:28:15 PM

12. Yes, the state of Michigan has anti-gay legislation. That doesn't mean the entire state is universally hostile to gay people. I feel more at home and accepted in Detroit than I do West Hollywood.

Posted by: JR | Aug 1, 2011 10:50:40 PM

13. "Just don't get caught there after sundown."

For crying out loud, ignorance is bliss apparently. I've biked around Detroit @ 2AM before.

Just be aware of your surroundings (like with any other city) and know that someone neighborhoods are more safe than others (like with any other city).

Posted by: B | Aug 1, 2011 11:31:21 PM

14. Sounds like, instead of a PR campaign, Detroit would benefit from starting an LGBT volunteer groups, such as http://gayforgood.org/, who could help turn things around even more!

Don't promote for others to come and "fix" things. Fix things, then others will come!

Posted by: Kergan Edwards-Stout | Aug 1, 2011 11:33:43 PM

15. Try to get Gov. Snyder won't approve that message. Yeah Detroit is nice if you can FIND A JOB THERE! I tried a few times because I love the people around the Ann Arbor area, but no success, just companies advertising one thing and looking for everything else.

Good on the gay community though. At least they are more proactive than our governor.

Posted by: Chris | Aug 2, 2011 12:50:04 AM

16. I miss Detroit with all my heart. I really do think it will become the first great American city of the 21st century.

Posted by: doug | Aug 2, 2011 7:31:53 AM

17. cool party! pidarasi gulayut

Posted by: dissertation | Aug 2, 2011 8:31:36 AM

18. The closed minded ignorance of some comments is baffling to me. For decades Detroit has been an outcast among American cities. If anyone should understand what that means, it should be gay people.

To see even a small number of young gays and lesbians embracing the city is a very positive sign. Go Detroit! Some of us are rooting for you.

Posted by: M | Aug 2, 2011 9:17:19 AM

19. I am also from Detroit, lived their 20 years and only moved because I had a great job offer. I love Detroit, and miss it greatly.

Posted by: Stephen H | Aug 2, 2011 9:52:59 AM

20. I left Detroit in 1984. I've lived in NYC, NJ, Chicago, Seattle and LA. Same crap everywhere - you pay your mortgage, taxes and rent and you go to work. Hopefully you can enjoy a weekend and take an occassional vacation. That's the American system and our way of life. I'm back because it's affordable, a great STATE and we are not land locked. On weekends you can drive 2.5 hours to gay Saugatuck on Lake Michigan and to other beautiful places to visit. Chicago is only a 5 hour drive. And it's AFFORDABLE to live here! I bought a house with CASH. NO RENT OR MORTGAGE AT 46. Detroit has been hit by EVERYTHING - race riots, foreign competition, globalization, the great depression and we are still HERE and growing. There is opportunity here - where in the US can you start your own business with practically nothing? To those that post such negative ignorant comments don't think that what happened to Detroit is'nt going to happen to where YOU live - keep paying your high rent and upside down mortgages and high taxes! You won't have any money left to do anything other than pay your bills. We don't need YOU! We are enjoying life and we will grow!

Posted by: Mark | Aug 3, 2011 9:57:28 AM

21. I grew up in the Detroit area but left for Atlanta after college, and always wondered if Detroit would clue into the urban pioneering gays who remake neighborhoods. Midtown Atlanta was pretty grotty in the 90s, but block after block has put skyscrapers on empty lots or renovated old homes; I wondered why no one bought those Craftsman cottages and Victorians mansions in Detroit and did the same.

Maybe having a gay city council president and some muscle from the city will do the trick? In 20 years, visiting gay Detroit will be no stranger than gay Chicago or Toronto?

Hats off to Detroit, making a change and asking us to be a part of it!

Posted by: Gruntled | Aug 3, 2011 10:12:16 AM

22. Don't forget, with Detroit, you get Windsor.

AND while in Windsor, you can catch gay-themed rock musical Bare: A Pop Opera, produced by The Edge Productions, at the Mission Theatre, August 5-7. See it.

I have no connection with them. I just love the show.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 4, 2011 5:35:56 AM