DOMA | Immigration | News | Thomas Roberts

Thomas Roberts Talks to Gay SF Couple Fighting Deportation Order: VIDEO

Makk

Earlier this month, I posted about Bradford Wells and Australian Anthony John Makk, who have lived together for 19 years and were married seven years ago in Massachusetts, and are fighting a battle against U.S. immigration and DOMA to allow Makk to stay in the country. Makk is the primary caregiver for Wells, who has health problems associated with advanced HIV.

The couple tells Roberts that they launched an appeal of their case on August 24th.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Don't get me wrong, I like Thomas Roberts but has he been typecast as the "gay" reporter? Lately, he seems to be the go to for gay news stories, at the expense of other stories. Is that the fear many in tv have of coming out? that they will only be seen to be able to cover gay news? It's weird. Before he came out he covered much more substantive, worldly stories. Now, it all gay all the time.

Just my observation

Posted by: Marlee | Aug 30, 2011 1:52:59 PM

2. Maybe the network thinks more understanding, or perhaps he's asked for these assignments?

And you're assuming these stories aren't as important, but they are just as important to the people who are affected by these issues

Posted by: john | Aug 30, 2011 2:42:51 PM

3. This story is one of the most central to the gay rights struggle as it currently stands. The gay rights struggle is one of the signature civil rights questions of our era.

It's beyond asinine to winder why Roberts - or any journalist worth a damn - would cover it.

Does anyone ask Sean Hannity why he runs stories that have a right wing conservative focus? No they do not.

I don't like obvious trolls. They suck on stupid.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Aug 30, 2011 4:08:23 PM

4. I don't watch any TV news, but I'm wondering what's so trollish about a question by someone who observed a reporter's "quota" of gay stories went way up after he came out as gay. Sure, maybe Roberts requested that, but what's the harm in wondering out loud if it's stereotyping by his superiors?

Again, I don't know anything about Roberts in particular - but my take on TV news is that the anchors simply report the story assigned to them, they don't choose what the network investigates. I could be wrong about that in this day and age, or about the particular organization Roberts works for. But trollish question? Um, over-reaction, imo.

Posted by: Zlick | Aug 30, 2011 5:29:40 PM

5. These men are remarkably intelligent, articulate and tv-genic. It's not easy being on TV, even when you do it professionally, but they're excellent at it, especially under these circumstances. Although it's tragic that the Obama administration is trying to destroy them, they are the perfect spokespeople to expose and combat this horror.

Posted by: ohplease | Aug 30, 2011 6:30:09 PM

6. Perfect until someone does a background check on their claims.

Posted by: Anon | Aug 30, 2011 8:41:56 PM