Comic Books | Morrissey | News | The Smiths

Unite and Take Over: The Smiths to Get Comic Book Treatment

Smiths

Comic book artist Shawn Demumbrum spearheaded a successful Kickstarter project that is resulting in a 74-page illustrated comic book inspired by the lyrics from songs by The Smiths.

"I approached some of my fellow comic book creators and asked them to create 4-8 pages stories inspired by their favorite Smiths songs.  The song acts as an inspiration, jumping off point, theme or mood for the story.  Each story varies in style and genre."

My adolescent gay angst approves!

Watch Demumbrum's teaser for the project, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via pitnb)

Comments

1. What the hell is a "Smith"?

Posted by: Tim NC | Aug 10, 2011 8:38:46 PM

2. why is this guy whispering in this video?

Posted by: Tim NC | Aug 10, 2011 8:42:09 PM

3. @ @Tim... I guess the Smiths is a rock group from Manchester England that is way past your time. Oh I miss the 80's and my obsession with Morrisey...

Posted by: KEN | Aug 10, 2011 10:10:44 PM

4. The Smiths 1982-1987. The best band of the last 30 years and the only gay band ever.

Posted by: Kenton | Aug 10, 2011 10:28:51 PM

5. Hardly the only gay band ever! One gay member. I once had brunch with Mike Joyce and didn't realize it. Long story.

Andy, that second to last line was your funniest comment EVER.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 10, 2011 11:05:13 PM

6. No. NO. Fruck NO!
    Let the Smith's songs stand on their Own WITHOUT nerd molestation!

Posted by: MoJo | Aug 10, 2011 11:16:05 PM

7. Believe you will love it.

We have good reputation, fashion products,

come here quickly== http://www.jordanforworld.com

Opportunity knocks but once

Posted by: zhonglud | Aug 10, 2011 11:52:25 PM

8. He sounds like a creepy stalker...

Posted by: alan brickman | Aug 11, 2011 12:26:29 AM

9. I love works of great creative genius, and hope that this work would qualify....

Yes, the Smiths were the best band of that decade, but keep in mind that Wham was as 'gay' as the Smiths....

Posted by: TonyJ | Aug 11, 2011 12:34:43 PM

10. @ Paul R - what what what do you mean, Mike is gay? And Moz isn't?!

Posted by: Dan T. | Aug 11, 2011 1:59:06 PM

11. Big Mac coupon included in the back (good while supplies last).

Posted by: Rob M | Aug 11, 2011 2:24:12 PM

12. LOL @ Rob M's comment. Didn't Tori Amos do this as well?

Posted by: Christian | Aug 11, 2011 2:30:59 PM

13. I can only imagine a comic book that strings together lines and song titles such as "You're the one for me Fattie" "Girlfriend in a coma" "William, it was really nothing" "How soon is now" etc.

Posted by: Dback | Aug 11, 2011 3:33:52 PM

14. @Dan T.: no, sorry about that. I strung together two unrelated points. I wish Mike were gay---he's adorable! During brunch I sat there thinking, Gosh this guy looks so familiar and I don't know why. Only when I got home and told my roommate about it did he tell me that on the first Buzzcocks reunion tour, it was Mike playing drums. He was a very sweet guy, a bit shy but quite friendly, with a good sense of humor.

Moz, on the other hand, continues to test my patience as he has for, oh, just about forever. And is definitely gay.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 12, 2011 6:34:16 AM