News | North Carolina

BigGayDeal.com

North Carolina Church Sign Tells 'Perverted' Gays to 'Turn or Burn': VIDEO

Churchsign

A church sign in Wilmington, North Carolina that says "God loves gays but he hates a perverted life style - turn or burn" is causing a lot of controversy and church officials say that it is a message of love, according to WECT.

Claims the church's singmaker Anna Benson: "I love gays. I love everybody. I love people. I'm a sinner. And I had to accept Jesus as my savior and lord."

Says the pastor, David Heuring: "That sign is to let people know what a sin is. Because the majority people out there don't even know what the sins of the Bible are. We're going to teach the entire Word, and we're going to tell the entire truth. And I'll take the heat for it."

Watch WECT's report (takes a few secs to load), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Although nobody ever wants to hear it, I keep repeating the truth. Maybe someday it will occur to Gay people that the Bible bigots are lying to them: CHRISTIANS HAVE NEVER FOLLOWED THE LAWS OF LEVITICUS!!!! Those prohibitions don't apply to anybody but the ancient Israelites. The laws that Christians follow are listed in the Gospels, specifically Matthew 19, a chapter that, even more important, contains Gay-affirming Scripture. There is no need to get into these complicated Bible debates! The only thing Gay Christians or Gay atheists need to know is that Fundie hetero-supremacy violates Jesus Christ's commandment to love others as you would yourself . . . and that's the most important commandment of all!

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Aug 12, 2011 1:38:34 PM

2. If you eat fish without scales you will also burn. Does that enclude pussy?

Posted by: David | Aug 12, 2011 2:23:32 PM

3. I'll never understand why all these self professed sinners don't just spend their time and effort on taking care of the needs of their own souls, and leave the rest of us to worry about our own.

I never give their souls a second thought, and demand the same respect in return.

If come judgement day, God determines he isn't very happy with the way I've conducted my life, he knows what to do.

I'll take my chances.

In other words, mind your own damn business.
    I'm doing fine, thank you very much.

Posted by: mytwocents | Aug 12, 2011 2:37:15 PM

4. Pastor Heuring is kinda hot and has major Gay voice. Me thinks...

Posted by: Pugzz | Aug 12, 2011 2:37:42 PM

5. When another gay teen in their community kills themselves will they accept the blood they have on their hands?

Posted by: Sean | Aug 12, 2011 5:24:52 PM

6. Thank you @STUFFED ANIMAL, this message needs to be declared from the rooftops: Christians are NOT subject to strict observance of the ancient Mosaic Laws! This was decided a long long time ago. This is why circumcision is not required of Christian boys.

Posted by: prophet | Aug 12, 2011 7:20:21 PM

7. Want to give a piece of your mind to that homophobic (probably closeted gay) pastor, go to his FACEBOOK page:

Many are not letting him get away with his HATE and unChrist-like bigoted "viewpoints."

Posted by: FunMe | Aug 12, 2011 11:33:56 PM

8. Interesting that this "church" doesn't appear to have a website. I wanted to let them know that as "Christians," they are fueling the fire by encouraging harassment of and violence against the LGBT community. It also amazes me that people like these zealot nitwits expect the LGBT community to sit back and not express their sexuality at all. Talk about unhealthy! Oy!

Posted by: JRtheman | Aug 13, 2011 3:52:43 AM

9. Puh-LEEZE! Pot, meet kettle!

Some of the most perverted people I've run across are hatemongers like these so-called "christians"! These bastards are no more different than the Klan, burning crosses on interracial couples' lawns and calling their lives "perverted".

Lessee... here's this transsexual lesbian's "perverted" agenda for today: breakfast this morning is a wheat English muffin, I'll be taking out old political yard signs to the recycling center, take fans and such from the fair building to our HQ, go visit my dad in the hospital (in ICU for pneumonia), maybe help my youngest brother to mow his yard.

Now *how* is that perverted, sweetums?

Posted by: Marlene | Aug 13, 2011 6:18:45 AM

10. I thought it was proven that Hetrosexuals are perverted,Look at the men and women who are str8 who molest children and don't forget the PRIESTS..

Posted by: Jay Bowen | Aug 13, 2011 7:23:05 AM

11. Damn these right wing CHRISTIANS are Hypocrites

Posted by: Jay Bowen | Aug 13, 2011 7:24:06 AM

12. I guarantee straight parents in these "churches" are beating and molesting their children--and that the leaders turn a blind eye to it...at least they're not burn-worthy fa****ts, right?

AB, well put. In the UNTOUCHABLE-CLASS-BASED America, that's just life. But I decided long ago that THAT America isn't worth living in. But better stick around and give em Hell, I say; otherwise, what's the point, ya know?

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Aug 13, 2011 9:29:33 AM

13. These people and those like them are not very Christian. Gandhi once said " I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians, they are not very Christ like".

Posted by: Ladislav | Aug 13, 2011 10:30:10 AM

14. THIS IS A SMALL NOTHING OF A CHURCH BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AS YOU GO TO THE BEACH. THEY ARE JUST LOOKING FOR ATTENTION. I MOVED AWAY FROM THIS BUNCH OF REDNECKS 42 YEARS AGO AND NEVER LOOKED BACK. IN THE PAST THE TOWN EVEN HAD SUNDAY BLUE-LAWS THAT DEMANDED ALL BUSINESS'S REMAIN CLOSED ON SUNDAYS. ALL STUPID THERE

Posted by: chris | Aug 13, 2011 12:58:12 PM

15. Derek is mistaken "Turn or Burn" is NOT a Scriptural quotation. It does not say "turn or burn" anywhere in the bible. This would indeed fall under Canada's hate-speech laws, which have existed for twenty-some years now.

Nowhere does it say "God hates perverted lifestyle" nor does it say "turn or Burn" - thus they could not possibly fall back on an excuse of "we're just quoting scripture!"

This speech specifically targets gay people with hatred, and a direct condemnation that we're going to hell.

it's hate speech. don't believe me? do what i did in my first post- remove the gays an insert the Jews.

Is it not hate speech to tell Jews that they're going to burn in Hell? yeah. exactly.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 13, 2011 4:38:11 PM

16. Nowhere in the Bible does it say ANY ONE of the words on that sign. There are no direct quotations on it at all. 'Show me where in the Bible it says 'Turn or Burn'?

Posted by: Steerpike | Aug 14, 2011 5:51:24 AM

17. UPDATE!

I live in Wilmington and coming back from the beach this morning, I noticed the sign has been vandalized! There is a dark red cloth covering what appears to be a gaping hole in the sign...I couldn't really tell but from the edges of the hole poking from behind the cloth, it looked like it may have been burned as well...

Posted by: Michael W. | Aug 14, 2011 10:57:28 AM

18. Many interpret the Bible the way they want to believe. Others have gone to the original language and translated the meaning as it was meant to be translated.

Posted by: Dale | Aug 14, 2011 7:20:46 PM

19. Hey, you right wing religious types! Do you really think we are as stupid as you imply in your rantings? The ONLY reason you object to GAYS is the fact that most of us do not produce children to be sent off to Sunday School to be brain washed into going to Church every Sunday AND PUT MONEY INTO A COLLECTION BASKET SO THE PRIESTS DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO WORK AND EARN AN HONEST LIVING.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Aug 14, 2011 9:01:44 PM

20. Okay fine, it doesn't say "turn or burn" in the bible but Kiwi I guarantee you this is unprosecutable under hate speech law.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Aug 15, 2011 9:36:03 PM

21. it's been a fun day on the facebook page for this church....their moderator has admitted to believing that the more than 6 million Jews exterminated in the Holocaust are all in Hell. For eternity.

nice folks, eh?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 15, 2011 10:01:56 PM

22. Oh sheesh, here we go with "love the sinner, hate the sin" again.

While that may be an applicable standard in some cases (say, if a loved family member were to rob a bank), when it comes to someone's sexual orientation, it's a distinction without a difference. Why is it so difficult for so many people to see that?

Posted by: Scotty | Aug 16, 2011 9:00:32 AM