GLAAD | News | Tyler the Creator

MTV's 'Best New Artist' Tyler the Creator Says 'Faggot' 213 Times in Latest Album: REPORT

Tyler

Last night, MTV awarded its 'Best New Artist' award to 20-year-old rapper Tyler the Creator.

GLAAD wants to make sure people know his background:

Much of the public was first introduced to Tyler the Creator during last night’s MTV Video Music Awards, after the  young rapper won an award for Best New Artist and danced onstage with Will Ferrell, Jack Black, and Seth Rogen.  What many of them will unfortunately learn if they now decide to pick up a copy of his album is that he also writes some of the most violently anti-gay and misogynistic music currently enjoying mainstream recognition.

NME reported, last June, that Tyler's album Goblin uses the word "faggot" 213 and its variants times.

It provoked Sara Quin of indie duo Tegan and Sara - pictured - to post a blog calling him out. She wrote: "While an artist who can barely get a sentence fragment out without using homophobic slurs is celebrated on the cover of every magazine, blog and newspaper, I'm disheartened that any self-respecting human being could stand in support with a message so vile."

Tyler responded to the singer by tweeting: "If Tegan and Sara need some hard dick, hit me up!"

Tyler told NME: "I’m not homophobic. I just think 'faggot' hits and hurts people. It hits. And 'gay' just means you’re stupid. I don't know, we don’t think about it, we're just kids. We don’t think about that shit. But I don't hate gay people. I don't want anyone to think I’m homophobic."

Tyler also told MTV News, in response to the controversy: "Well, I have gay fans and they don't really take it offensive, so I don't know. If it offends you, it offends you...If you call me a n---a, I really don't care, but that's just me, personally. Some people might take it the other way; I personally don't give a sh--."

UPDATE from GLAAD: "GLAAD’s own internal review has found 10 occurrences of the exact word “fa**ot” in the album Goblin."

Last night's VMAs were the single most-watched telecast in MTV's history, with 12.4 million viewers.

Tyler the Creator's track "Yonkers" which won him Best New Artist, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I look forward to forgetting about this person.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Aug 29, 2011 7:10:50 PM

2. If you don't want to seem homophobic, don't use gay slurs. Easy.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Aug 29, 2011 7:11:12 PM

3. This is racism in action folks. Find the dumbest black men you can find and make them "stars" of the non-musical fraud "Hip-Hop."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 29, 2011 7:15:54 PM

4. Honestly, I, as a homosexual male, enjoy his music. He states that he isn't homophobic, and I will believe that. People don't dig deeper enough, they jump straight to conclusions. First off, his rap group, OFWGKTA (Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All) has a lesbian member, so obviously if he hated homosexuals, he wouldn't have her in the group. Using the word "faggot" doesn't make you homophobic. Sure, it's not the best word to use, but there's far more worse things that you could call someone. Anyway, they're just kids trying to have fun with themselves. It's not like they're saying "all gay people must die faggots faggots faggots i hate gay people!!!!". None of the is spoken in any of their songs. Maybe people should take the time to listen, before they jump to conclusions/criticize him...he does have quite a few songs that do have a "deep" meaning, or at least songs that are clearly meaningful to him and TONS of other legitimate, loyal fans.

Posted by: LaTrell Turner | Aug 29, 2011 7:17:17 PM

5. Well said Latrell!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Aug 29, 2011 7:26:04 PM

6. using the term faggot doesn't make you homophobic it just makes you stupid. mtv pushing this kind of artist just spreads hate and considering mtv owns logo they should know better. oh wait after seeing the crap they put on logo maybe they don't.

Posted by: walter | Aug 29, 2011 7:28:30 PM

7. @Latrell

"Using the word "faggot" doesn't make you homophobic"

No, it makes him stupid, which, in his logic, makes him gay.

Posted by: Jangles | Aug 29, 2011 7:29:14 PM

8. High five@Walter

Posted by: Jangles | Aug 29, 2011 7:30:25 PM

9. Stupid AND homophobic.

Nice try with the "has a lesbian member" con, Latrell.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 29, 2011 7:31:09 PM

10. But you guys continue to show your ignorance and be close-minded. Not EVERY SINGLE one of he songs uses the word "faggot", and not all of his songs have "inappropriate"/"homophobic" topics. He's quite a talented young man, but everyone's vision of that is steered away because he decides to use the word "faggot". Honestly, I don't feel offended at all by the word "faggot". To me, it has no definition. In my opinion, it's a word that's used to "insults" homosexuals, but I don't think it means "homosexual". If it meant "homosexual", then no homosexual should have a problem with anyone using the word "faggot", or being called a "faggot". Like, it's not that big of a deal. It's just a word. Maybe I just have a better way with coping with it than you guys, but he's the one living up life at a very young age, while some of you are trying to "take his off of his high horse". I respect him a lot. Like I said, obviously "faggot" isn't a word that should be used as much if he's causing this many people to get butthurt about it, but he's doing something with his life, and he's helping other people's lives as well.

Posted by: LaTrell Turner | Aug 29, 2011 7:39:46 PM

11. Latrell,

So it's OK to use the n-word as long as you don't mean it as a bad thing?

Just checking.

Posted by: Trev | Aug 29, 2011 7:39:49 PM

12. @ "Latrell"

If saying the F word is not homophobic then why aren't we allowed to say it on this site a lot or any other gay site...?

Under such logic would you mind if I use the N word? Being that people that would use that word would not, under your logic, be racist. Would you be okay with a white country singer using that word 213 times? Of course not, that singer would be run out of the business.

Hip hopers wanted their way and when they fail to communicate correctly, or intelligently, they blame people for "not getting it."

What I don't get is this stupid logic that hip hopers and "rappers" can say whatever they want yet others are not allowed to in other music venues.

Posted by: The Gay Report | Aug 29, 2011 7:41:35 PM

13. Hey Latrell -- should Michael Richards get his career back?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 29, 2011 7:48:28 PM

14. Oh my goodness, why I am using my time on this? Clearly, I can't change your mindsets about this whole situation, and I can respect your opinions, but you guys continue to be close-minded about this. I'm gonna go listen to Tyler/Odd Future now, because I can find satisfaction in his lyrics, and look deeper, rather than just picking out what you hear immediately. I'm sorry that the word "faggot" offends you all so much, but it's something that you should get over. Me being an African-American homosexual male has enough "perks", such as the terms that get thrown at me everyday, but I've learned to "overcome" that, and that words mean nothing to me. I hope that eventually you all will reach a mindset that's the same as mine, but for now, I'm leaving.

P.S.: I do have a passion for music, and this includes listening to many genres/artists. I enjoy Lady Gaga, and Tegan and Sara. Just letting you know how open-minded I am.

Posted by: LaTrell Turner | Aug 29, 2011 7:51:46 PM

15. Gag. (and i don't mean "Gaga".

Posted by: Jim | Aug 29, 2011 7:53:34 PM

16. @Sleepy Bear: forgetting about what person?

Posted by: justme | Aug 29, 2011 7:56:15 PM

17. As a long time fan of Tyler AND a proud homosexual, I'm embarrassed by the fact that you all are discussing his art based solely on the out-of-context metric of "saying faggot 213 times." Have ANY of you listened to either Goblin or Bastard? Because I know you all are too ignorant to read any more of my writing (god forbid actually listening to the album you're shitting on), I will end my remarks with this:

Everything Tyler makes is satire. And you guys getting "offended" by it is only fueling the fire. I'm sorry you're too old to understand the culture, but to those of us who don't get offended at the drop of a hat, this music is brilliant and provocative compared to most of the Katy Perry garbage that permeates the FM universe right now.

Posted by: Ralph B | Aug 29, 2011 7:58:39 PM

18. The "is it ok if I say the n-word" argument is very lazy. Both words should not be used in any context, but the fact is each word has had it's own separate history and meanings in this country.

To the younger generation (people in their teens or twenties) faggot is meant to say someone is weak, lacks manhood. etc. For the most part they aren't thinking f*ggot=LGBT person. This artist is 20 yrs old. He has grown up in an era where most people are indifferent or OK with gays in general. Gays have a high visibility on tv, they are even in shows that are aimed at teens. We have a President that recognizes Pride Month. This isnt the 80s or even 90s.

We still have a long way to go, but our time would be better spent getting outraged at politicians in positions of POWER who are working this very minute to strip the few rights we have and preventing us from gaining more. Not some 20 yr old music artist who said "f*ggot" a few times in an album.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Aug 29, 2011 8:00:43 PM

19. This is a non issue. You being upset about it makes it an issue.

Posted by: Jazeel | Aug 29, 2011 8:08:03 PM

20. This guy is clearly a jackass.

Look at that stupid face. Somewhere along the line, this little boy learned it was cool to be angry. What a twerp. He looks like a little faggot.

Posted by: Steve Albini was right | Aug 29, 2011 8:17:40 PM

21. I think Tyler The Creator would make a wonderful stranger. But hey, that's just me. That's how I roll.

Posted by: BEAU | Aug 29, 2011 8:20:02 PM

22. The words f*ggot, n*gger, ch*nk, k*ke and the host of others are words born of hate and loathing. To say, oh that's just how it is, how we are, we don't mean anything by it, is to perpetuate the hate, the loathing and any violence that comes of it. If you know the word "hits" and "hurts" then why use it, unless you are advocating the hit and the hurt. And if you are advocating it, then you're homophobic. And we'll exercise our right to not buy your product, to boycott any sponsors you may garner, do whatever we can to make sure you do not prosper for spreading your crap around.

Posted by: scooter | Aug 29, 2011 8:30:50 PM

23. just his use of the word creator makes you think the guy has some sort of a complex and i don't know what kind. we have all learned that the use of "n"word is inappropriate .we must also learn that use of the "f" shouldn't be used either. time to make these words obsolete.

Posted by: walter | Aug 29, 2011 8:31:28 PM

24. it was remarkable to me how MTV censors had to bleep every third word he said during his acceptance speech, all the while he was saying how this was something for the kids out there to see...

i get that he is excitable and streetwise and popular. at this moment. but he wont be taken too seriously or last too long in the spotlight with such poor social skills.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 29, 2011 8:35:12 PM