Lithuania | News

BigGayDeal.com

Lithuanian Mayor Crushes Illegally Parked Cars with Tank: VIDEO

Vilnius

Arturas Zuokas, the mayor of Vilnius, Lithuania, has a message for those who park their cars illegally: I will crush you.

The Irish Times reports:

Residents are reportedly tired of luxury car owners parking with impunity and have requested the local council do something about it. In a publicity stunt to reassure the public that the city authorities is addressing the issue, Arturas Zuokas jumped in an army troop carrier and drove over an old Mercedes-Benz S-Class that had been parked in a bus lane.

“I wanted to send a message” Mr Zuokas told the media. “I want to point out that if you have a car and more money it doesn’t mean that you can park it everywhere. Recently there’s been an increase in this type of parking violations, and it shows a lack of respect for others”.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Completely illegal, but rather awesome.

Posted by: Erich | Aug 2, 2011 12:50:27 PM

2. YES!! Can he come over and clean up our streets too?

Posted by: nando6990 | Aug 2, 2011 1:01:10 PM

3. Um, he rocks.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 2, 2011 1:03:20 PM

4. can hecome visit Manhattan for about 2 or 3 weeks ? and bring his tank with him ?

Posted by: jerry | Aug 2, 2011 1:04:46 PM

5. He needs to come to DC and do that. Embassy Row, Capital Hill and K Street would be good areas for him to start.

@Erich, it's only not legal if the law says so...otherwise it's open season in Vilnius for the Mayor to take whatever steps he deems necessary or are needed to fix the problem.

Posted by: JKM | Aug 2, 2011 1:06:13 PM

6. Right ON!

Posted by: MT | Aug 2, 2011 1:20:35 PM

7. That's not a tank.

Posted by: Diogenes | Aug 2, 2011 1:46:31 PM

8. YEAH! I'd like to do that to people who use "Handicapped" placards when they aren't really handicapped! My pet peeve!

Posted by: Jim | Aug 2, 2011 1:59:27 PM

9. Puiki ideja, geras pamokantis filmukas. Tik pjauna ausi mero naudojamas zodis "parkavimas" !!! Mes masinas statome, ne parkuojame....
    Aciu!

Posted by: lietuvis | Aug 2, 2011 2:22:04 PM

10. Notice he's crushing what I'm sure is a staged car worth about $6,000.00, instead of the Rolls Royce or Ferrari?

Posted by: Chris | Aug 2, 2011 2:30:10 PM

11. @ Chris

I noticed the exact same thing. I'm sure the dude's watch is worth more than that 16 year old Benz. Totes a publicity stunt. I'm sure the Ferrari owners are sipping their tea unbothered by this stunt.

Posted by: StuntQueen | Aug 2, 2011 3:14:48 PM

12. @Chris: It's Lithuana after all -- I don't think Rolls Royce and Ferraris abound.

Posted by: tobal | Aug 2, 2011 3:19:32 PM

13. Somebody has some anger issues...

Posted by: TyInTenn | Aug 2, 2011 7:24:10 PM

14. Doesn't the Irish Times know the difference between a bus lane and a bicycle lane? Evidently not. A bus most likely does not fit in a meter wide lane.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Aug 2, 2011 7:26:42 PM

15. ....mmmmm, from the same people who ban pride events. Not that I'm pro auto,never had one never will. Do you think he'd also enjoy driving over queers?

Posted by: Samhraid | Aug 3, 2011 8:14:11 AM

16. Totally staged considering that there was only 1 car on the entire street. But a good message to people who park without regards to parking regulations.....

A lot of new Asian immigrants to Canada seem to have parking issue's because they don't pay attention to no parking or handicapped signs....Perhaps the local cops or the RCMP could start borrowing tanks from the Canadian Armed Forces to teach then what exactly a no parking sign means......Once they get their brand new Nissan's, Honda's or Toyota's crushed maybe they will learn how to park like the rest of us.

Posted by: Darrell | Aug 3, 2011 12:16:58 PM

17. Kind of amusing. Wish I could remember what that armoured vehicle actually is, cause it ain't a tank. Its actually been bugging me that I can't remember. Oh well.

Posted by: Rob | Aug 3, 2011 6:15:36 PM

18. @ rob ...it's a saracen, people in Belfast and Derry know a lot about them. Maybe the Lithuanians could give one rainbow livery and have it head a pride parade.

Posted by: Samhraid | Aug 4, 2011 1:49:05 AM

19. 1) It's not a 'tank'.. More like an APC... :p

2) What kind of government does Lithuania has where city mayors have access to APC's for this kind of stunt?

3) I totally approve this kind of government action against jerks who park illegally!

Posted by: mmike1969 | Aug 4, 2011 6:45:44 PM