Chaz Bono | Howard Bragman | News

No Way Chaz Bono is Backing Down, Says Publicist: VIDEO

Bragman

Chaz Bono's publicist Howard Bragman talks to George Stephanopoulos about the calls from hate groups like One Million Moms for ABC to dump Chaz Bono from Dancing with the Stars and says there's no chance he'll back down.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. How can anybody be surprised that there are several idiotic commenters on Towleroad? Unless this is your first time here, this is the way it goes. Andy must be so proud.

Chaz doesn't need non-LGB idiots to hate him; his own community is more than happy to do the dirty work for the bigots who hate them just as much as they hate him.

Like I say: welcome to Towleroad.

Posted by: ohplease | Sep 2, 2011 7:49:44 PM

2. I represent 5 billion gays for chazz. on with the show.

Posted by: kodiak | Sep 2, 2011 8:07:54 PM

3. Lisa, if you went through all of the psychotherapy and soul-searching as a trans person has to before qualifying for surgery, and lived through phases of living as the gender you feel you are before any permanent steps are taken, I might just accept you as a tiger.

I can't imagine what it must be like to know with every fiber of one's being that one's body and one's gender don't match. I've never wanted to be anything other than a man. I can't imagine what it would be like to cut off parts of my body so central to my enjoying my sexuality. But it is this complete anathema (along with an education) that helps me understand
    how certain someone must be about what is right for them in order to even entertain the idea of, much less undergo, reassignment surgeries. Changing one's body is not something done lightly. The fighting one has to do be at peace is not for the uncommitted. You have to KNOW what is right for you. As certain as I am that I was born in the "right" body, trans people are as certain that their inherent gender differs from their physical body. The depth of my certitude and experience of my certitude helps me understand the depth and experience of theirs.

Posted by: TJ | Sep 2, 2011 8:22:22 PM

4. Chaz, if you are reading this, YOU GO BUDDY!, you GO LIKE THE WIND! Live your life how you choose and let the haters words bounce off and smack them back in the face. You are AWESOME and BRAVE and don't let anyone tell you different!

Posted by: castaway | Sep 2, 2011 8:24:52 PM

5. George Stephanopoulos helped elect Clinton and turned his back on him when the going got rough Then he wrote a book about how disappointed he was. It landed him a job at right wing ABC. This is not a man who I would ever watch or care about his opinion on anything. Just another villager.

I think this place attracts a lot of bigots who troll for attention. But it is all good. Just laugh them off. They are losing and they know it.

Posted by: Joey | Sep 2, 2011 8:26:55 PM

6. @lisa this site doesn't get a lot of female tolls but i guess you are one of the exceptions. chaz has proven he has balls because ot took a lot of courage to open yourself to these virulent attacks by the right. most people don't have that kind of courage. as to 1 million mothers probably like the catholic league and nom with 7 members supported by some church.

Posted by: walter | Sep 2, 2011 8:47:19 PM

7. Go Chaz, you have my support!

Posted by: DJSauvage | Sep 2, 2011 8:58:40 PM

8. Awesomeness clearly runs in that family. Chaz, you are gonna kick azz!

Posted by: Max | Sep 2, 2011 9:02:30 PM

9. Chaz obviously knew he would be against a lot of adversity when getting into the spotlight like he is doing...
    Somehow he is paving the way for many more transgender people to go mainstream in the US... and that is very commendable...

I wish you the best in your show business career Chaz...and in your personal life as well!
    =)

Posted by: George Florez | Sep 2, 2011 9:03:30 PM

10. As a gay man of 43yrs, I support Chaz Bono! Monica Cole of One Million Moms drips w/ hatred. She is no different than Shirely Phelps.

Posted by: Harry | Sep 2, 2011 9:32:24 PM

11. On a lighter note: Cher looked good.

Posted by: Eddie | Sep 2, 2011 9:50:38 PM

12. Chaz has bigger balls than me.

And that is coming from a man who has actually had the size on his balls complemented. ;-)

Posted by: Lance | Sep 2, 2011 10:09:36 PM

13. You go, Chaz! Your courage, your intelligence, and your strength are an inspiration!

Posted by: kit | Sep 2, 2011 10:20:56 PM

14. Everyone *does* realize that this controversy is exactly what Dancing with the Stars was aiming for, right? The more the hate groups scream about Chaz being on the show, the higher the ratings will soar. The producers wanted this kind of reaction, and the social conservatives are too stupid to realize that their knee-jerk reactions are being manipulated.

Posted by: Sancho | Sep 2, 2011 10:20:56 PM

15. @joey,did you just say ABC is right wing.you gotta be kidding right cos i ope not.ABC is as left as it can get.

Posted by: ned | Sep 2, 2011 11:16:29 PM

16. I just want to slap George Stuffinenvelopes. Whatta dweeb.

Posted by: Kanga | Sep 2, 2011 11:20:23 PM

17. Way to sqash it Howard! was it just me or was george being kind of an ass?

Posted by: Alex Paris | Sep 2, 2011 11:41:44 PM

18. I know it's surprising to see bigotry manifest itself in one minority towards another. But every minority struggle basically puts out the same message: "We are no different than you."

And if there is no difference, this ends up meaning: we're just as wonderful, just as bigoted, just as loving, just as petty, just as giving, just as selfish, just as enlightened, just as pig-headed, just as forward thinking, just as backward thinking than any other segment of the population. Or in short, we're just as human -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

If "We're the same" is the ultimate message? That sometimes makes us look good and sometimes it don't. But either way, the message is still good.

Posted by: Bernie Keating | Sep 3, 2011 12:06:51 AM

19. I laud Chaz's decision to stand his ground. No one should be the target of the hateful and factually incorrect things being said about him; by standing up to this vicious bullying, Chaz is fighting for the rights of all transgender people. And kudos for Cher for standing by him.

Posted by: Kevin Donohue | Sep 3, 2011 12:11:02 AM

20. Lisa G has made by far the most stupid, self righteous statement that I've ever wasted my time reading on this site.

"Ok, so by your logic if my brain tells me I am a tiger and I have stripes tattooed on my body and a tail attached, then I guess I must be a tiger."

If someone can't tell the difference between being a different gender than one's genitals, and being a different species then they ought to refrain from posting and making their ignorance known.

I've generally thought that Chaz was a bit of an attention seeker, but when I see the naked ugliness in these attacks, by people who ought to know just a little better, I've changed my mind.

Hey Lisa, burn a cross in anyone's yard lately?

Posted by: PRE | Sep 3, 2011 1:30:31 AM

21. Chaz--can we please be bros?

Because I kind of have a bromance for you.

Kthxbai.

Posted by: Derek in Madison | Sep 3, 2011 3:28:12 AM

22. @Pre Please don't dissuade Lisa from being a tiger. She might make a better tiger than a human.

My apologies to all felines.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Sep 3, 2011 3:41:33 AM

23. Howard Bragman, awesome.

Stephanopolous, not so much. Just because you identify yourself doesn't mean you aren't a hate group. One Million Moms, as part of AFA, IS a hate group.

Posted by: Randy | Sep 3, 2011 4:10:10 AM

24. Also, before assuming all the negative comments on Towleroad come from the LGB part of the LGBT readership, consider that many of our enemies also read Towleroad... it may not all be us.

Posted by: Randy | Sep 3, 2011 4:12:14 AM