Connecticut Christian School Forces Student Out After Learning She is a Lesbian

The Master's School, a K-12 Christian school in West Simsbury, Connecticut, issued " a not thinly veiled threat" to soon-to-be senior Rachel Aviles to withdraw rather than be expelled after learning she was a lesbian, FOX CT reports:

Masters This was to be her senior year and a former coach says she would have been up for all kinds of awards. But last spring she went on a class trip where several students, Aviles among them, pretended to be married. They made "wifey" phone calls to one another. They held hands — not unusual among same-sex friends at Master's, Aviles said.

"Looking back, it was kind of stupid," said Aviles, of Hartford. "But it was harmless."

Word got back to the administration, and the students were called in and questioned about their sexual orientation. When it was her turn, Aviles told administrators that she is a lesbian. Her friends knew. Teachers didn't.

Aviles said the school then urged her to withdraw rather than be expelled.

Aviles' former coach Heather Lodovico discussed the incident:

"She texted me and said something like 'They kicked me out,' and I made a joke, 'What, are you pregnant?' and she said, 'No, worse. I'm gay,'" said Lodovico.

The coach said she immediately got on the phone to see if the decision could be reversed, but no.

The school's headmaster refuses to discuss Aviles' dismissal, citing privacy concerns.

Comments

1. says

Why would you want to be a member of a club that doesn’t want you anyway? It’s the students that will suffer later in life when they go out in the real world and discover everyone isn’t just like them. It’s their loss. So be it.

2. Steve says

It’s just double standards. They let in non-Christians (and she isn’t one), but then they insist on everyone being straight. You can’t have it both ways

3. Poison says

So many people give me the argument that these Christian schools make their rules on homosexuality plain, so you should just not choose a school like that if you’re LGBT. The (painfully obvious) problem with that is that the decision to go to such a school is rarely left up to the child concerned.

What I don’t understand is that presumably, a child who attended this school since kindergarten and came out in high school, for instance, would be treated the same way as this girl. In this situation, you’d think that they’d start to understand that even years of Christian education can’t stamp out homosexuality.

4. Robert in NYC says

Most faith based schools in this country get some sort of financial assistance from the federal government. About time it ended, let them pay for their own chosen lifestyle. Religion is learned behaviour, nobody is born that way, while sexual orientation is innate, immutable.

5. dctopman says

I also contacted the two accreditation organizations that they are listed as accredited with. I told them I am surprised they would give accreditation to schools with such discriminatory policies. You can write to them too. They are – The Master’s School is fully accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. http://www.neasc.org/

The Master’s School is a member of the Connecticut Association of Independent Schools http://www.caisct.org/cais/

6. Max says

Same thing happened to me at a Catholic High School. Not surprised about it but I didn’t get a news story about it.

7. John says

It’s a private, religious school. What do people expect? If you attend a bigoted school, then how can you be shocked when you get hit with the bigotry stick??

Imagine a white person with black or Jewish ancestry joins the Ku Klux Klan. She reveals her background and is stunned with she’s kicked out. It’s just like that.

8. Bruce Callahan says

there should be no public money in this school. Even to the point of tax deferral(whatever) on the property.

9. A Friend says

Rachel just transferred into my class at Watkinson School in Hartford. She’s a lovely, lovely human being; she’s one of the best athletes we have, she’s funny, kind, charitable, and smart. Any school should be HONORED to have her enrolled. Masters has made a HUGE mistake and should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

I didn’t know about the conditions of her transfer until tonight, and I am disgusted by the actions of the administration at Master’s. This is truly an outrage.

10. Ray says

The school has the perfect right to do this. Homosexuality is clearly against Christian teaching, end of story. No amount of continued indoctrination by the pro-homosexuality lobby will ever change this. That is fact. I know some homosexuals and they are actually lovely folk, and it is a pity more do not have their kind of hearts. I am in no way hateful towards them.

11. Mark Edward Bock says

Monday 08 26 2013 4:40pm

I Was sexually abused at TMS FROM 1981 UNTILL spring 1986 both on and off campus. I know that you are required to report this to the proper authorities.

Mark Edward Bock (954) 295 3324.

Monday 08 26 2013 4:40pm