Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News | YouTube

BigGayDeal.com

Gay YouTube Soldier Reveals Himself, Comes Out to Dad: VIDEO

2soldier

The faceless gay YouTube soldier we've been following for months as he's posted videos of life under 'DADT' has finally revealed himself, making the most difficult call an LGBT person ever has to make to a parent, to tell his father he's gay.

Watch and listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Congratulations to all gay and lesbian service members on this historic day. As always, thank you for your service!

Previous videos in this series...
Gay Soldier Awaits Repeal of 'DADT' Next Week, Says 'It Gets Better' [tr]
Gay Soldier Answers Twitter Questions, Reveals 'DADT' Repeal Day Plans [tr]
Gay Soldier Outed by Viral YouTube Clip [tr]
A Gay Soldier's Coming Out Story [tr]

Comments

1. As a gay man serving in the Army, this brought me to tears. Absolutely amazing. Congrats, Randy.

Posted by: Aaron | Sep 20, 2011 7:06:36 AM

2. omg he's adorable.

Posted by: Danny | Sep 20, 2011 7:09:48 AM

3. My heart was in my throat. Congratulations to this brave young man serving our country! Glad his dad was so accepting. This video will help a lot of people.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Sep 20, 2011 7:15:50 AM

4. It's great that he had the courage and foresight to document this.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 20, 2011 7:18:27 AM

5. A person would have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by this. How wonderful that his dad was so great about it.

Posted by: voet | Sep 20, 2011 7:20:28 AM

6. Quite cool:-)

Posted by: Helio | Sep 20, 2011 7:23:46 AM

7. An incredibly brave man. I'm so proud of him!

Posted by: Wayne | Sep 20, 2011 7:31:40 AM

8. Congratulations to America! After a long and hard battle, you've now joined the 40-plus list of nations that permit gays to serve openly. Welcome. Continue to fight for other rights!

Posted by: DALI | Sep 20, 2011 7:33:44 AM

9. Speechless..

Posted by: Laura | Sep 20, 2011 7:38:50 AM

10. Wow! Simply an amazing video. Thanks for sharing your life with us ... and kudos to your Dad. Now call you Mom! She misses you, too. Good luck and Happy Freedom Day for all U.S. Servicemembers.

Posted by: TruthSeeker_Too | Sep 20, 2011 7:46:12 AM

11. oh i wanna marry him!

Posted by: Joey Boots | Sep 20, 2011 7:51:02 AM

12. Totally inspiring!!

Posted by: kranbree | Sep 20, 2011 7:54:18 AM

13. Totally inspiring on so many levels!!

Posted by: kranbree | Sep 20, 2011 7:55:38 AM

14. Its wonderful, but still so painful. It shouldnt have to be this way. It shouldnt have to be somethihng we worry about or are afraid of. Very mixed emotions.

Posted by: rovex | Sep 20, 2011 8:04:23 AM

15. I'll probably get hammered for this, but...

I have a slightly different take.

Very glad that he's come out on YouTube and very glad that he came out to his father. Not so sure about his choice to combine the two.

(FOR ME) coming out to a family member is an extremely private matter, not for internet consumption "LIVE" during the moment. After a reveal, sure, no big deal. I realize he's a hero for millions of kids thinking about coming out to their families, but it puts his father in a difficult place (and by this assertion, himself) to have his father's reaction there - good or bad - for the world to see.

I wonder what the outcome for both would have been had the reaction not been so pleasant, thus my reasoning. These things don't always go this well and perhaps he knew it would be OK, but what about the people who may have it differently? Reactions can run the gamut (as we all know) and it's sort of unfair to push this sort of thing live on a parent for popular consumption, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, it all worked out and good on him, but this struck me as a somewhat-odd methodology.

Posted by: johnny | Sep 20, 2011 8:07:35 AM

16. These are real family values. This should be included in the "It Gets Better" series, real time version.

Posted by: John | Sep 20, 2011 8:09:22 AM

17. Voet

You do realize that the right wing are made-up of a bunch of sociopaths right? So, they won't care about this boy because they think he is selfish for wanting to disrupt the army and not pray the gay away.

Posted by: Rowan | Sep 20, 2011 8:11:24 AM

18. Brave man and he's lucky he has deserving parents. Well done.

Posted by: newportjoey | Sep 20, 2011 8:35:04 AM

19. Wow, he's hotter than I imagined! lol This was awesome to wake up to. I'm so happy/proud of this guy. I still can't believe DADT is over!!

Posted by: ChrisMe | Sep 20, 2011 8:43:24 AM

20. @ Johnny. I'm sure you know as well as I do that coming out is a very personal matter and everyone does it their own way. I see this situation a little differently and applaud him. This young man, instead of *only* thinking of himself, decided to help others struggling with this and future generations by documenting this process.

Posted by: ChrisMe | Sep 20, 2011 8:50:58 AM

21. Absolutely moved to tears! I wish him well! Congrats to all service members for this day and thank you for your service to our country!

Posted by: RB | Sep 20, 2011 8:55:40 AM

22. Just Great! One can see that it was difficult for this young man to do but now it seems as if a boulder has been lifted off from his shoulders. All the best!

Posted by: Peter | Sep 20, 2011 9:02:15 AM

23. @Johnny. He's just making the personal the political. No person outside of the most lunatic fringes could see this as anything but heart-warming (and who knows, it might even touch a few on that fringe, too).

Posted by: tranquilo | Sep 20, 2011 9:12:40 AM

24. Wonderful. Today I can't help but think of my friend, former Air Force officer Rich Richenberg, expelled in 1995 under DADT, who took his own life this year. I wish he could be here to see this.

Rich was a decorated Air Force officer. He received a commendation during the Persian Gulf war for detecting and countering an enemy threat. The nature of the threat remains classified.

In 1993 Captain Richenberg was ranked among the top 10% of Air Force officers. He came out as gay to his commander. Discharge hearings began that year, and a board recommended a general discharge. The expulsion took effect in December, 1995 and was upheld in appellate court. The Supreme Court, without comment, refused to hear his appeal.

In recent years he had sold real estate and held a variety of other jobs.

Rich took his life on or about May 20, 2011.

Posted by: Alan | Sep 20, 2011 9:22:35 AM

25. @Johnny, It didn't go out live. It was recorded. I'm sure the young man would not have released it had his father reacted poorly. I'm pretty sure that he realized that seeing a positive coming out and response would be very beneficial to thousands and thousands of kids and others facing their own coming out. Though I agree with much of what you said in principle I think this kid thought what he did through thoroughly and made a decision to share his positive experience with the world. I for one am glad he did.

I failed to send a big high five and Kudos to Randy's dad in my last comment. Way to go Dad! I hope you will become a voice for justice for gay people there in Alabama. We need all the help we can get in the deep South.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Sep 20, 2011 9:32:44 AM