Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News | YouTube

BigGayDeal.com

Gay YouTube Soldier Reveals Himself, Comes Out to Dad: VIDEO

2soldier

The faceless gay YouTube soldier we've been following for months as he's posted videos of life under 'DADT' has finally revealed himself, making the most difficult call an LGBT person ever has to make to a parent, to tell his father he's gay.

Watch and listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Congratulations to all gay and lesbian service members on this historic day. As always, thank you for your service!

Previous videos in this series...
Gay Soldier Awaits Repeal of 'DADT' Next Week, Says 'It Gets Better' [tr]
Gay Soldier Answers Twitter Questions, Reveals 'DADT' Repeal Day Plans [tr]
Gay Soldier Outed by Viral YouTube Clip [tr]
A Gay Soldier's Coming Out Story [tr]

Comments

1. I was glued to the screen. This generation is lucky: my parents' reaction (when I, also, was 21) was not to throw me out of the house, but it was definitely not: "We love you, and we will always love you, no matter what." I bet far more gay young people get to hear those words these days. I got to experience that vicariously through this video.

I'm not complaining, but he was sexier when all you could see was his upper body and lips -- don't you think?

Posted by: Jack | Sep 20, 2011 9:42:23 AM

2. Before bed last night I checked my email to find he had posted a new vid. I had a feeling he would and it was a privilege to watch. He is an amazing man, and a role model for so many of us.

Posted by: Geoff M | Sep 20, 2011 9:44:57 AM

3. Hey soldier may you be loved and embraced for who you are.
    I wish you a long happy life with a loving partner. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Rob West | Sep 20, 2011 9:55:07 AM

4. Call or email your Senator and THANK them for this day. And the White House too. Now let's get busy and work to get back the majorities in the House and a filibuster proof majority in the Senate so DOMA can be undone. And we need to have the back of all the people like the young man in this video -- they will do more with putting a human face and realness to overcome LGBT prejudice then any thing HRC or GLAAD will ever do. Everyday people are what make change and progress happen. A great day.

Posted by: velocifero | Sep 20, 2011 9:58:09 AM

5. You re just gorgeous!
    The most bravest thing you did here . Nothing but admiration for you . Congrats!

Posted by: Tony Wong | Sep 20, 2011 10:11:23 AM

6. @Johnny I understand what you are saying about making this moment public, but Im guessing this was not broadcast live. Im guessing that the video was made and then uploaded. He would have had the opportunity to not upload it if for some reason it had not gone well and he wanted it to remain private. I am presuming that part of the reason it got uploaded in the first place is precisely because it went well, his dad would look good [if that was a concern for Randy] and in the process he might also make a difference for others going through the same thing.

Posted by: OberonOZ | Sep 20, 2011 10:16:28 AM

7. Incredibly sweet and wonderful. If only it were so for everyone who has to reveal this one trait about themselves! Congrats to this soldier and his Dad for being so understanding and accepting. Thank God DADT is history (and let's hope it stays an historical footnote in military history).

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Sep 20, 2011 10:19:31 AM

8. Thank you! Thank You! Thank You! You are brave young man. Wish more people could be more accepting like your father. This is a major step for our country as well as you personally. Glad you have the support and love.

Posted by: Joey | Sep 20, 2011 10:26:40 AM

9. This was a great way to start my day. Thanks so much for posting this, Andy.

Posted by: Luke | Sep 20, 2011 10:30:13 AM

10. Think about the courage that took. My heart was racing right along with his. In an instant his life changes for the better or worse. Can't think of any other declaration one can make short of having committed a heinous crime, with that kind of emotional impact.

It shouldn't have to be this hard. With patience, perserverance and continued enlightenment, that too is changing.

Posted by: mytwocents | Sep 20, 2011 10:37:51 AM

11. cried over this one.

Posted by: Ted | Sep 20, 2011 10:46:16 AM

12. Courageous man!

Posted by: Steve | Sep 20, 2011 10:51:32 AM

13. This is perhaps, the light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Posted by: Grego | Sep 20, 2011 11:00:34 AM

14. It's vitally important that he's an everyday guy who comes from a large blue collar family in Alabama. These are the very people who are *supposed* to reject him.

I think there are three lessons here: 1) the world isn't always what the corporate media wants you to think it is, 2) good people do what's right and 3) it makes a difference when it's personal.

Posted by: justme | Sep 20, 2011 11:01:11 AM

15. I'm really glad he captured this moment and put it out there because it's important that people witness events like this, good or bad. I'm thrilled for him that it went well and it was a brave thing to do.

Things like this and the frank conversation between Belinda Carlisle and her son are a great way to reach people who may still be on the fence, to give them a window into what has always taken place behind closed doors and see what love really means.

I came out to my father when I was 17 and during the conversation I told him I'd heard of families kicking gay kids out so I didn't know what to expect. His response, "I could never do that. It would be like cutting off my own arm" was something that helped me later when things were tough. It's important that people people witness moments like that, not just hear about them later as an anecdote, so they see that love doesn't end and the world doesn't collapse. Just think how powerful it will be to LGBT youth, the target audience for the It Gets Better vids, to see this.

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 20, 2011 11:09:28 AM

16. What an amazing video! Thanks for sharing. It's nice to see that the acceptance is continuing to gain momentum. Thank you for defending our country!

Posted by: Christopher | Sep 20, 2011 11:18:47 AM

17. What a lucky young man. And a lucky family with a fine father.

Posted by: Jeffrey Scott Lewis | Sep 20, 2011 11:19:44 AM

18. The FULL package is Hotter than I imagined!

Posted by: MK | Sep 20, 2011 11:49:01 AM

19. Bravo!

Posted by: Bosie | Sep 20, 2011 12:09:23 PM

20. Bravo. Great courage and self-respect. The father's regional accent makes it clear that he's in Alabama. Some would write off entire sections of the country, but I think that Howard Dean had the right instinct when he told progressives to campaign in all 50 states and never give up on a single one of the 50 states. We are, after all, one country.

Posted by: Artie | Sep 20, 2011 12:24:34 PM

21. Wow. Impressive. Congratulations and good luck.

Posted by: Cameron Johnson | Sep 20, 2011 12:31:46 PM

22. That was so great. He makes us all very proud.

Posted by: tropicbill | Sep 20, 2011 12:53:15 PM

23. Congratulations to that beautiful young man and his courage, not just for fighting for America but for his willingness to show us all how hard it can be to come out to family and not know how they'll react. Was not expecting it but I totally teared up during his liberating confession to his father. What we must all understand is that family is a wonderful thing but those members of our family that can't accept us should not dictate who we are or how we live our lives. We must all get rid of the negativity in our lives and not allow anyone, family, friend or stranger to diminish who we are. Congrats Randy and every other homosexual who is brave enough to live a truthful life.

Posted by: Bobby | Sep 20, 2011 1:09:40 PM

24. That boy is hot. Like insanely attractive, sweet, and that southern accent isn't making it any easier.

Also brave. And his father is fantastic. He said exactly what needed to be said and left it there. He just moved right along to other topics as if it were no different than if his son told him he was left-handed or brunette.

Overall inspiring, wonderful clip.

Posted by: AedanCRoberts | Sep 20, 2011 1:52:08 PM

25. Wow...inspiring on so many levels! Bravo!

Posted by: Mike | Sep 20, 2011 1:58:25 PM