Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News | YouTube

Gay YouTube Soldier Reveals Himself, Comes Out to Dad: VIDEO

2soldier

The faceless gay YouTube soldier we've been following for months as he's posted videos of life under 'DADT' has finally revealed himself, making the most difficult call an LGBT person ever has to make to a parent, to tell his father he's gay.

Watch and listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Congratulations to all gay and lesbian service members on this historic day. As always, thank you for your service!

Previous videos in this series...
Gay Soldier Awaits Repeal of 'DADT' Next Week, Says 'It Gets Better' [tr]
Gay Soldier Answers Twitter Questions, Reveals 'DADT' Repeal Day Plans [tr]
Gay Soldier Outed by Viral YouTube Clip [tr]
A Gay Soldier's Coming Out Story [tr]

Comments

1. One question though: what does the repeal of DADT have to do with this kid's telling his parents he's gay? I mean, what was it that kept him from telling them before today? And what if dadt wasn't repealed - would he have stayed in the closet to his family?

I know I'm a jerk here, but I just wanna know. In any case, I'm so glad for this kid. It's never easy and his parents took this like champs.

Posted by: topher | Sep 20, 2011 2:19:37 PM

2. Praying isn't something I do well, but I'm really praying he makes it home.

Posted by: ophu | Sep 20, 2011 2:25:50 PM

3. Today my boss told me that he would like for me to say 6 more months in Paris, I was like Hell No! I need to get back to the US and get started on my dream of marrying a military man.

Posted by: Mike in Paris | Sep 20, 2011 2:37:10 PM

4. Topher - he planned to come out to them next year, having only recently come to terms with his sexuality himself. However, due to his previous anonymous videos, he has found a lot of support from the YouTube community and bravely decided to accelerate his schedule (in part because he failed to remain as anonymous as originally planned, and didn't, as he notes in the video, want his family to find out from anyone else). I'm so glad he did; this video made my day.

Posted by: Timothy | Sep 20, 2011 2:37:51 PM

5. I'm guessing he ended up sleeping well.

Posted by: anon | Sep 20, 2011 2:39:25 PM

6. Thanks Timothy. I didn't watch the previous video so it struck me as odd that he'd said he'd always known, and then decided to come out today. I'm a bitter cynical little man. I'm truly glad for him though!

Posted by: topher | Sep 20, 2011 2:50:02 PM

7. He's hot.

Posted by: KD | Sep 20, 2011 3:08:22 PM

8. As a dad, I have to say I would be PROUD to have this wonderful young man as my son! So glad for his sake that he has a dad who loves him unconditionally. Too many of our young men and women still don't have that. Glad he's blessed with it though.

I echo everyone else that he's a real hottie, so I'm not worried about his being able to find someone to share his life with. Whoever it is, he'll be a lucky man.

All the best to you young man. Enjoy freedom.

Posted by: Bobby | Sep 20, 2011 3:27:41 PM

9. A W E S O M E

Thanks for your service to this country, and all who can!

"Just another step for man/woman and another for equality"

Posted by: Chris | Sep 20, 2011 3:35:58 PM

10. How wonderful ! And that sigh of relief at the end says it all !

Reminds me of when i came out to my close brother......and again what a relief that was !!
    Congratulations soldier........if the army had lost you, it would have lost one of its finest.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 20, 2011 4:23:03 PM

11. Good for him. I had been very cynical(not towards him) in my other comments about his vids, and I still maintain he wouldn't get half the attention he's getting if he was just "normal" looking and not the good looking guy he is, but congrats on going through with his brave decision on coming out.

Now go get some cultural education and learn to appreciate books and movies.

Posted by: Bryan | Sep 20, 2011 4:27:44 PM

12. This made me happy.

Posted by: Chuck | Sep 20, 2011 4:41:22 PM

13. @Johnny This story is NOT about you but about the soldier and how he dealt with his situation in his own way. Your experience is your own, as the soldier's is his, as another person is theirs.

Posted by: Craig | Sep 20, 2011 4:46:02 PM

14. Congrads Randy, yr one kewl young soldier...and what a wonderfull Dad, unconditional love....perfect, good luck to you,stay safe,stay well, . I told my dad i was gay, 40 yrs ago, and thats the LASt he spoke to me..or any one else in my family, your very lucky to have such an understanding, loving folks, cherish them ALWAYS...CodyJ.

Posted by: codyj | Sep 20, 2011 4:58:27 PM

15. His dad says this will change his relationship with his son. How? Makes no sense. I am not sure his dad really accepts his being gay.

Posted by: Robert | Sep 20, 2011 6:02:18 PM

16. What I would have given to hear my own father say "I love you", instead of "you're dead to me" when I finally came out. I'm so proud of this soldier and his father!

Posted by: Mark | Sep 20, 2011 6:24:03 PM

17. I'm a little jealous. My dad died when I was a kid. I remember him tucking me into bed and sometimes taking me to work with him on weekends.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 20, 2011 6:27:50 PM

18. I am so glad for him that it worked out well. I almost cried as he was seeking assurances that he was still loved. In the better world I imagine that will never be an issue again. I agree with previous comments that we just witnessed real family values. Maybe one day NOM and their ilk will understand that

Posted by: Bob | Sep 20, 2011 7:37:53 PM

19. Don't know why, but I cried throughout that phone call.....congrats Randy, job well done. You do your country proud as well as your family and the gay community.

Posted by: John Simpson | Sep 20, 2011 7:56:51 PM

20. Oh..these tears. For him. And me. If only my Dad would have said it just once while he was still alive. Just one time.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 20, 2011 8:50:38 PM

21. As a former military man myself and coming out to my father (a Vietnam vet) before he passed away, this guy is my hero!

Posted by: Harry | Sep 20, 2011 9:14:50 PM

22. OMG I am so happy for them. I just about burst when his dad said I love you. How wonderful for that lovely young man. Please come home safe! (okay, now I am crying.)

Posted by: dawn | Sep 20, 2011 9:53:16 PM

23. This video was incredible. He is so brave and honest that it makes me choke-up a bit. I wish I could thank him for being such a wonderful role model, for being so courageous, and for protecting our country. :)

Posted by: Sam | Sep 20, 2011 10:21:45 PM

24. I can't wait until his follow-up video. Something tells me we will see a man who is truly filled with joy that he no longer must hide this unbearable secret. I hope he has a long happy life with a wonderful husband at his side.

Posted by: Bill | Sep 20, 2011 10:22:05 PM

25. Amazing, just amazing. This young man is true inspiration and admirable role-model. His father is also worth commending. Bravo young soldier!

Posted by: Sergio | Sep 20, 2011 10:29:06 PM