Eddie Murphy | News | Oscars

BigGayDeal.com

Eddie Murphy to Host Oscars

Eddie Murphy will host the 84th annual Academy Awards, producers Brett Ratner and Don Mischer announced today:

Eddie_murphy "Eddie is a comedic genius, one of the greatest and most influential live performers ever," said Ratner.  "With his love of movies, history of crafting unforgettable characters and his iconic performances – especially on stage – I know he will bring excitement, spontaneity and tremendous heart to the show Don and I want to produce in February."

Commented Mischer, "Eddie is a truly ground-breaking performer, whose amazingly diverse array of roles has won him a devoted audience of all ages. His quick wit and charisma will serve him very well as Oscar host."

"I am enormously honored to join the great list of past Academy Award hosts from Hope and Carson to Crystal, Martin and Goldberg, among others," said Murphy.  "I'm looking forward to working with Brett and Don on creating a show that is enjoyable for both the fans at home and for the audience at the Kodak Theatre as we all come together to celebrate and recognize the great film contributions and collaborations from the past year."

The ultra-early announcement appears to be geared toward boosting a cinematic return for Murphy, Deadline adds:

This is coming months earlier than normal because usually the Oscars host isn’t chosen or announced until January. But everyone is eager to get out the news now. I do know that Murphy’s Hollywood agency WME thinks it’d be a real coup for Murphy’s dormant career which is about to get a kick-start. That’s because the veteran comedian is starring in the Brett Ratner-directed and Imagine/Universal-produced Tower Heist action laugher with Ben Stiller that opens on November 4th and is receiving great buzz. So Murphy and Ratner already have a close relationship, and this would be a way for Brett to put his personal stamp on 2012′s broadcast. Plus Murphy is starring in the DreamWorks dramedy film A Thousand Words scheduled for release on January 12th.

Comments

1. I have to agree with OS2GUY above. Does he call jews "k@#'s"?
    Does he call Latinos "sp1cs"? Does he call Chinese "ch1nks?"

No. Not in any routine I've seen, where he has no problem calling gays "f@66ots."

This has got to be a joke.

Posted by: Dr2239 | Sep 6, 2011 10:48:50 PM

2. While Murphy's "Delirious" may well have been the funniest stand-up show of the 80's, he hasn't actually been funny or relevant since.

This blatant attempt by a sub-par director to promote what already appears to be a sub-par movie is just pathetic. The Academy Awards haven't really been about what or who is the best in the film industry for at least 30 years and Murphy's inclusion as host just proves that point.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 6, 2011 11:14:56 PM

3. They must be trying to kill this show.

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Sep 7, 2011 12:07:17 AM

4. Lord some of you queens just can't let go...HUH? Complaining about his RAW Album and NOT CD.....Some of you proally was even born at that time.HMMMM doing alot of googling these days I see.And always must keep a grudge against an African American. JUST DON'T WATCH!

So much for you being non prejudicial.

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Sep 7, 2011 12:35:49 AM

5. I've never missed an Oscar telecast in over 25 years, I'm sure I'll still watch but
    this could be final nail in the Oscar Show coffin.

Posted by: Rob West | Sep 7, 2011 7:31:39 AM

6. In all of Hollywood, they couldn't find somebody better?

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 7, 2011 8:32:43 AM

7. Eddie Murphy is a "comedic genius" only in his own mind.

Posted by: Liam | Sep 7, 2011 11:52:02 AM

8. You know what, if you can't laugh then what's the point. 38 years old and only just watched the alleged homophobic clips. Get a life if you can't laugh - it's too short. I for one, am gay and comfortable with it. Eddie Murphy just makes me laugh and as for the San Francisco police routine it made me laugh out loud! Laugh at yourself and stop taking things so f**king seriously.

Posted by: r1_lad | Oct 11, 2011 6:53:36 PM

9. Personally I switch off the moment I see Eddie Murphy in ANY film- his obsession with gays is worrying and he's camper than ANY of the most outrageous queens who drag up and do OTT stuff. Hi homophiobia actually incites hatred. He's just a sad self-oppresed screwed up guy greedy for money by doing the hate thing and covering up his own sexuality.

Posted by: Peter Gregory | Nov 9, 2011 4:20:59 AM