Crime | News | Salt Lake City

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Man Brutally Attacked Outside of Gay Club in Salt Lake City

Dane Hall, a 20-year-old gay Salt Lake City man, had his jawbone broken in three places, lost six teeth, and was hospitalized for four days this week after being attacked outside one of the city's nightclubs, Q Salt Lake reports:

Hall Hall said he left Club Sound, which is gay-themed on Friday nights, and crossed the street to the corner of 600 W. and 200 S. in Salt Lake City, when four men approached him and began yelling gay slurs. He was then punched in the back of the head and knocked to the ground. One of the assailants grabbed his shirt and began punching him in the face, he said. After Hall fell to the ground again, the attacker grabbed him, placed his open mouth over the street curb and stomped on the back of head, knocking out six teeth in a move commonly referred to as ‘curb checking,’ which can result in death in many cases. Two other assailants kicked him repeatedly in the stomach, Hall said. The attackers called him a ‘fag’ and took his identification and $40, he said.

“I could have died. And a piece of bone from my jaw was jammed in my brain, to make things worse,” Hall said in email correspondence because his jaw is still wired shut after the attack. “If anyone has any information leading to the arrest I am offering a $10,000 reward.”

Salt Lake City police are looking into the attack. Anyone with information about the assailants or any possible leads are being asked to call the Salt Lake Police Department at 801-799-3000.

Comments

1. I think it's time for gay guys to start packing guns. Time to go Thelma and Louise on bigots. They expect us to be soft targets. Time to get licenses for firearms and defend ourselves.

Posted by: Bakeley | Sep 1, 2011 11:38:00 AM

2. The whole attack is terrible...but the "curb checking" thing sounds especially horrific. I've got a pretty strong stomach but just reading that made me a little queasy.

Posted by: ATLJason | Sep 1, 2011 11:38:48 AM

3. And every politician that promotes anti-gay beliefs is responsible for contributing to the culture of hatred and ignorance that leads to crimes like this.

blood on their hands.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 1, 2011 11:43:05 AM

4. I am "sure" the Salt Lake City Police are looking into this.

Posted by: benjamin | Sep 1, 2011 11:48:15 AM

5. Dismantle the LDS, one brick at a time

Posted by: PeterKNYC | Sep 1, 2011 11:52:22 AM

6. But Utah is such a NICE state, full of such NICE Mormons...!

I normally do not back the idea of gun ownership for self-defense, but in all of the white redneck Christianist-dominated areas of the US, I think it's actually a necessity now. The bigots are being cornered by modern society, who have decided that LGBTQ people in fact should NOT be summarily executed in the streets, and they're lashing out with blind panic. Their ignorant way of life is now seen as pathetic by the world-- and they can't stand the thought of being looked down upon.

Stupid dumbass bigoted cracker Christianists.

Posted by: One of the CA 36,000 | Sep 1, 2011 11:56:50 AM

7. Obviously, this is the fault of the Mormon Church (and Michele Bachmann, Glenn Beck, and the Tea Party), and couldn't possibly have anything whatsoever to do with the likes of Tyler the Creator, who just won an MTV award for "best new artist" after saying "f@ggot" 213 times in his latest album.

Posted by: Max | Sep 1, 2011 11:58:17 AM

8. Very tragic. It didn't make a single damn newspaper other than the Q.

Posted by: Jared | Sep 1, 2011 11:59:46 AM

9. I'm a bleeding heart liberal, but even I am leaning toward Bakeley's solution. This goes beyond a hate crime. It's attempted murder and maybe the solution really is to carry a gun. I know it sounds extreme but how many of our brothers do we have to read about being brutilized before something is done?

Posted by: Secret Identity | Sep 1, 2011 12:02:16 PM

10. Maybe it is time for gay thugs.
    Maybe a gang of buffed-out gay guys and lesbians should start stalking straight-bars and start beating up on single guys that come out by themselves or with buddies. I'm thinking in the model of Bhagat Singh, the Weather Men or Black Panther. Maybe if we sent a few messages of "we are tired of the abuse and we are not going to take it any more..."
    The legal establishments will do nothing if the political establishments are not threatened.

Posted by: Daya | Sep 1, 2011 12:04:41 PM

11. I don't advocate the use of carrying guns. I don't advocate violence. At all.

that said....(hehehe!)...here's a reality - we're a persecuted minority group that PEOPLE ARE NOT SCARED OF.

that's why people are so proud of their anti-gay bigotry - they're not scared of gay people, they're not intimidated by us.

I do not and will not support the carrying of firearms. I'm opposed to a gun culture. That said, there are things other than guns that one can carry. I would know.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 1, 2011 12:07:27 PM

12. I'm sure the Mormon police are "looking into it".

Posted by: Farley | Sep 1, 2011 12:12:30 PM

13. It's appalling that the local newspaper hasn't reported on this attack and the previous one.

And as one commenter asked, why has there not been a description of the assailants? Sort of sounds like skinheads, but who knows?

Posted by: Vincent | Sep 1, 2011 12:15:32 PM

14. WOW... GAY really is the new BLACK. Welcome to our authentic negro experience, homos. Circle up the wagons and get tougher and smarter. This is only the beginning...

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Sep 1, 2011 12:28:22 PM

15. @Blakeley: you beat me to it. That was the first thought I had after reading the article.

Time to get concealed carry licenses.

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Sep 1, 2011 12:37:20 PM

16. Let me guess: The police aren't sure if it's a hate crime. What do I win?

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Sep 1, 2011 12:37:21 PM

17. Until we understand the need to be armed, anti-gay crimes will continue. Crying about it will not end this. Homophobes go after gays, because they know we're an easy target. Self-defense is mandatory in cases like these.

Posted by: Sarina | Sep 1, 2011 12:50:31 PM

18. Those mormons are so sweet and cuddly, aren't they? Romney and Huntsman are the poster children for this intolerant POS "religion"

Posted by: Bubba | Sep 1, 2011 1:12:03 PM

19. one thing's for sure: if all gay dudes carried a gun, the republicans would start voting for gun control.

Posted by: troy | Sep 1, 2011 1:12:25 PM

20. Um … this is a "wait and see" for me.

Whatever happened to the alleged victim, I hope he recovers quickly and completely.

But the article is a one-source wonder that sounds/feels too much like the hoax attack that got all the press a few months back.

Salt Lake City is a progressive city with a gay-friendly police force (well, as gay friendly as any male bastion can be), and QSaltLake had zilch from the police. Moreover, the Salt Lake Tribune prides itself on being a beacon of progressive thought in the state, and they've reported nothing — which leads me to believe that there's probably nothing to report.

Of course, I could be wrong.

But I hope I'm right.

Posted by: Silus Grok | Sep 1, 2011 1:12:54 PM

21. Once again, this is a situation extremely similar to the hate incident reported in Iowa where Marcellus Andrews was killed, yet the local papers didn't report it and the police has thus far barely looked into it. Things like this really highlight the danger of being gay in a homophobic environment. Really scary, you're never truly safe.

I agree with what everyone has said in terms of self-defense. I don't think necessarily a gun is appropriate because the fact anyone can pick up guns so easily in so many cases isn't a good thing. Often times the thugs have guns too, so then you're in a shot and be shot situation.

Things like mace are very efficent and get the job done. But being openly gay and out and about at night sadly does make one a target, particularly if you're living in a city in such an anti-gay state. These thugs as has been said see us as easy targets and see gay men as "not real men". The way thugs handle conflict of any kind is violence. We have to protect ourselves so we know we won't be helpless when potentially faced in such extreme circumstances.

I'm glad Dane is alive, and I hope he recovers from his physical and emotional scars as soon as possible.

Posted by: Francis | Sep 1, 2011 1:13:34 PM

22. If anyone finds information on where to send money to help him with his legal/medical bills please post it or let towleroad(Andy, right? lol) know. I hope I can send him something.

Posted by: Lazlo | Sep 1, 2011 1:18:05 PM

23. Glad he is alive but sad this happened to him. I guess Hollywood is right. Gay is the new black.

Posted by: mitchblair | Sep 1, 2011 1:18:11 PM

24. What good is a gun going to do you when 4 guys pop out of nowhere and they're right up in your face? If you try to pull a gun on them, chances are it's going to get taken from you. Also, isn't it illegal in most places to bring a gun into a bar?

I lived in a town where the solution was to not get caught leaving the bar on gay night alone. Lone people are easy targets even if they travel armed, a group of 3 or 4 isn't so easy to jump. Really, it's not right that we should have to fear leaving a bar at night alone in the first place, but there is strength in numbers and that's what we need to show, not strength through force of arms.

Posted by: Pira | Sep 1, 2011 1:19:08 PM

25. Before you all jump to conclusions about this being a hate crime, I should tell you that I Googled the guy's name and found out that he has an arrest record a half a page long for everything from Hit and Run to Giving False Information to a Police Officer to Possession of Narcotics. It seems that Mr. Hall (the victim) is quite heavily into crime and drugs, so I would suggest that perhaps his beating had something to do with drug dealing and other criminal activities rather than his sexual orientation......

Posted by: Rick | Sep 1, 2011 1:32:28 PM