Larry David | News

'Curb Your Enthusiasm' Has its 'Born This Way' Moment: VIDEO

Greg

Curb Your Enthusiasm had its "Born This Way" moment on last night's season finale as Larry met Greg, a budding young fashion designer with an eye for swastikas.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

The clip above leaves out the "I think he might be gay" line. Full clip, below...

Comments

1. Fantastic--being gay defined as wanting to be a fashion designer, watching Project Runway, sewing, and creating pretty little doo-dads for women....oh, and screaming like a girl and having a limp wrist.....

Great to see that in the year 2011 we continued to be portrayed in the same stereotypical way we would have been 30 years ago, while other minorities have successfully eradicated such embarrassing and negative depictions of themselves.......which, I guess, is because other groups have some self-respect, whereas we, by and large, still have none....

Posted by: RIck | Sep 13, 2011 10:48:49 AM

2. I work with kids every day for the past 7 years. While all kids are not this gay Rick, I've met many of them who are. Some things just happen this way.

Posted by: Arthur | Sep 13, 2011 10:54:35 AM

3. @Rick, I agree to an extent, but I think the message he is trying to put out was "he's gay, get over it" to the mom. The supposed young butch gays that may be out there would not be easy to spot and therefore not an easy joke...which is what his show is about. I dont find it particularly funny, but at least I think his message was right.

Posted by: JWL | Sep 13, 2011 10:55:37 AM

4. "get a life jews!" classic Larry. Hilarious.

Posted by: Lisa G | Sep 13, 2011 10:55:43 AM

5. @Rick^^^

C'mon, lighten up for gods sake. Yes, so kids are this "gay". However, gays are also being portrayed in many venues as "normal" (I use this word only to make you more "comfortable")

We come in every stripe, and we should accept all of us.

It sounds like you might just be a bit angry with life.

Posted by: jtramon | Sep 13, 2011 11:05:46 AM

6. I was hoping for a more Susie-like reaction from Susie on being given a swastika. I wanted foul-mouthed rage.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Sep 13, 2011 11:05:46 AM

7. I have no respect for you, Rick. Nor when you post as Jason.

Posted by: nodnarb | Sep 13, 2011 11:07:51 AM

8. @JWL Just think of how easy it would be for a creative genius like Larry David (and scores of others) to create a plot out of mistakenly imagining a very masculine young guy to be straight, when in fact, he was not. Plenty of comic potential.

All episodes like this do, as well as other such portrayals of adults on "Modern Family" is cause us to be a laughing stock. People watching it are not laughing with us, they are laughing AT us, the way they used to laugh at stereotypical depictions of blacks in "Amos 'n Andy" or Step-n-fetch-it

That would be bad enough, but add to it the damage to the self-esteem of young men who are trying to "reconcile" their sexuality and their masculinity--like the high school hockey player we recently read about who was contemplating suicide because he saw no way to do wo--and this kind of crap becomes not just disgusting, but unconscionable.

And no, Arthur, there is no inherent link between sexual attraction to a man and being a sissy--being a sissy is learned behavior that arises from the message society sends to young men attracted to other young men that their attraction is incompatible with masculinity and that they therefore should behave in un-masculine ways.

For any of you to be OK with the perpetuation of such crap makes you even more evil than the heterosexuals who perpetrate it in the first place.

Posted by: RIck | Sep 13, 2011 11:09:05 AM

9. My only complaint is that they could've probably cast a better child actor, who wasn't so clearly hamming it up.

Posted by: Adric | Sep 13, 2011 11:12:54 AM

10. Being a "sissy" is a bad thing? Let me tell the boys that their behavior is wrong then, and Rick says they should be lumberjack republicans.

Posted by: Arthur | Sep 13, 2011 11:14:56 AM

11. @Rick^^^

My apologies on my previous remarks.

I should delete "It sounds like you might just be a bit angry with life".

And replace it with: "Wow, what a bitter, angry person"

There. That's better, bitter.

Posted by: jtramon | Sep 13, 2011 11:20:16 AM

12. Rick is the same idiot who posts that Lady Gaga has a bisexual double standard and that HIV doesn't cause AIDS, just FYI.

Posted by: nodnarb | Sep 13, 2011 11:20:20 AM

13. This was awesome.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 13, 2011 11:21:33 AM

14. "Being a "sissy" is a bad thing?"

Yes, Arthur, it is. The lowest of the low. No man who is a sissy will ever occupy a respectable position in society, unless you consider being servants to women respectable (i.e. dressing their hair, designing their clothes, decorating their houses). None of the gay men who are prominent in any other field--business, the media, sports, anything--even acting--are effeminate. None of them.

So being a sissy will condemn a boy to being a complete professional failure, to being laughed at and disrespected by society, and, in all likelihood, to a lifetime of self-destructive behavior--drug abuse, alcoholism, suicide, even--as well as making him likely to be beaten up physically or even murdered.

So that is what low-life like you are doing to young men if you encourage them to go down the twisted path that you and others have.

Posted by: RIck | Sep 13, 2011 11:24:04 AM

15. I wont mind if they follow me at all down the twisted path, working for non-profits that work against child obesity, and giving them a safe place to enjoy life. Yup, I'm leading them to suicide.

Posted by: Arthur | Sep 13, 2011 11:29:09 AM

16. 1) That clip was hilarious.

2) @Rick, _fu ck_ off...seriously. You're one twisted _fu ck_. As a gay man who leans more towards football, dirt biking, and generally "masculine", I have worked with a number of gay men who tend to be quite effeminate (what you might call sissy) and they hold executive professional positions of power in mainstream businesses. You have some serious issues with yourself you need to work out.

Posted by: Ian | Sep 13, 2011 11:33:38 AM

17. There's nothing wrong with someone being camp and feminine ... that's the point Larry David is making. Just because it's easy to make jokes about campness doesn't mean those jokes are hostile.

As a gay man, Rick, you will never conform to the male gender role you seem to support so much. Get over it.

Posted by: DayvyG | Sep 13, 2011 11:40:21 AM

18. Real men, those who are secure in their masculinity, wherever it might be on the scale from butch to nelly, aren't threatened by 1) women 2) sissies. Men who are threatened by women and sissies, and who view them as dragging us all down to their lowest of the low effeminate depths have serious psychological issues that cannot be solved by blog posts . . . not that I'm pointing fingers, or anything.

The kid actor wasn't very convincing, alas. Surely they could have found a real budding queen for the role! Otherwise, it was funny. Now, I have to get back to sewing my swastika pillows.

Posted by: Ernie | Sep 13, 2011 11:42:51 AM

19. well.... if they had him wanting a football and being a butch 7yo.. then where would the general american viewing public make the connection? its almost like they have to? Maybe if we had more gay male role models... things would be different? I had a really hard time thinking of any.. other than NPH and maybe Anderson Cooper.. but he's not even out yet...

Posted by: NorthoftheBorder | Sep 13, 2011 11:44:25 AM

20. well besides all that Ive read in the comment section - Id really like to know the young actors motivation/direction he was given in playing that roll....seriously Id like to know what they told him his character was supposed to be/or act like.

Posted by: Gay American | Sep 13, 2011 11:44:56 AM

21. lol i don't think "sissy" behavior is learned. i'm pretty sure, as a kid, i worked as hard as i possibly could to NOT look like i might be gay. this didn't stop my body from exhibiting what would typically be considered effeminate characteristics. even to this day. sure, i try to walk all butch and sexy like but i'm pretty sure a prance makes it's way in there every now and again. ;)

Posted by: Joseph Klock | Sep 13, 2011 11:47:31 AM

22. I thought of that too, Gay American. I suspect someone showed him what to do and he mimicked it.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Sep 13, 2011 11:48:56 AM

23. Hilarious.

Posted by: Gosh Golly | Sep 13, 2011 11:59:53 AM

24. As someone who works in an after-school arts program for kids ... let me just say, uh, YES... I personally know a handful of boys that act just like this. I've been teaching piano lessons to one for years. Just last year, he started dying pink streaks into his long blonde hair and wearing big dangly bracelets. Extremely effeminate and flamboyant little boys do exist ... I was never what you would call 'obvious' and neither were most of the gay men I know ... but that doesn't mean the obvious ones don't exist!

Posted by: MDK | Sep 13, 2011 12:04:45 PM

25. @Ernie Yeah, that's right Ernie. There are no "real men" in the sports world or in the military or in the corporate world--they and all the other men in society who do not find effeminacy in men acceptable or admirable (in other words, about 95% of the male population) are "insecure" and have "psychological issues" that need resolving.

Only you and other queens who iconize prissy little bitches like Lady Gaga and live vicariously through them while referring to each other as "girls" and "Miss" Whatever are "secure" and psychologically healthy.

Glad we got that straightened out. (LOL)

Posted by: RIck | Sep 13, 2011 12:05:11 PM