Madonna | News | Venice

Madonna Does Not Want Your Loathsome Hydrangeas: VIDEO

Madonna

At the Venice Film Festival, a worshipful fan makes the mistake of bestowing a gift of hydrangeas on Her Madgesty.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Don't see the difference in her attitude compared with a lot of gay men.

Posted by: Newcitspot | Sep 6, 2011 1:02:28 AM

2. Look at the distorted faces she makes. This woman is nothing but a caricature.

Posted by: HoHo | Sep 6, 2011 2:01:25 AM

3. Someone shows some kindness and she has to measure it not by the gesture, but by the fact that the guy doesn't know her personal taste.

Given that she's a crap actress and she's here as a film maker, a little more humility would be nice.

But she's not nice. She's a see you next tuesday. She made one great record, Ray of Light, a slew of fun singles, but she's clearly a horrible, shallow, self absorbed person. And because she only understands her own point of view, I bet she's a crap director.

Posted by: dms | Sep 6, 2011 2:26:44 AM

4. Seems the reviewers feels the same way about Madonna's new film as she feels about hydrangeas.

Posted by: Oliver | Sep 6, 2011 3:17:21 AM

5. She thanked the guy twice and also says to the person next to her that he couldn't have known that she doesn't like hydrangeas. What else do you want from her?

Besides, this was a press conference and the guy who approached her and gave the flowers was a journalist. It was incredibly unprofessional of him to do so.

Posted by: Jude | Sep 6, 2011 3:27:45 AM

6. snore

Posted by: MoJo | Sep 6, 2011 5:31:47 AM

7. At this late date you expect Madonna to be polite to anyone and NOT totally self-absorbed? Where have you been for 25 years? She's always been a b****, I've seen it many tmies and been on the receiving end of it myself.

Posted by: Carl | Sep 6, 2011 7:44:51 AM

8. Lawdy, I see the Gaga c0cksuckimg Monster party starring Madonna is still going on....HUH?

Get over it queens Madonna didn't lose a nights sleep over this incident or you Crocodiles complaining!....LOL!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Sep 6, 2011 7:55:32 AM

9. Gaga or Kylie will never ever do that...

Posted by: Joe | Sep 6, 2011 8:04:42 AM

10. Rude? Bitchy? Really? Why, because she had the nerve not to like the flowers, or because she dared to tell the person sitting beside her (but not the guy who gave them to her) she did'nt like the flowers?

Come on guys. I enjoy the witty, sometimes snarky comments I read on Towleroad, but this is just being nasty. It's a 16 second clip for goodness sake. If I'm going to condemn another person as being cruel and uncaring from watching 16 seconds of their behavior, they're gonna have to do alot worse than that.

And you do realize the irony in being snide and bitchy and dismissive about someone else because you think they're being snide, bitchy and dismissive, don't you? Far be it for me, an atheist, to quote Jesus, but why do you criticize someone else for straw sticking out of their eye, when you yourself have a rafter in your own?

Posted by: Chaddy | Sep 6, 2011 8:16:18 AM

11. Well, that was the non-news event of the day. Where's the "loathing"?
    She took the hydrangea from the fan and smiled - cut and print. (Was she supposed to wear it in her hair?)

Posted by: Bill | Sep 6, 2011 8:45:01 AM

12. Madonna is feeling the heat from GaGa. It's over.

Posted by: Chris | Sep 6, 2011 8:56:03 AM

13. As I've told her before, she needs to ditch Kaballah for the truth of scientology. She'll learn that she hates the flower because it is named after the anti-Xenon's home planet, Hydrangia, and the cause of all psychic pain and loose skin.

Posted by: Com Truise | Sep 6, 2011 9:03:30 AM

14. It could just be a case of false modesty brought on by the discomfort of being surprised. Perhaps she was simply trying to seem like a regular gal to the other people on the panel. We assume that public adulation would get easy after a while. If one has any humility at all, I can see where it might always be a little discomforting, especially when it's launched on you. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Posted by: Jeff In Boston | Sep 6, 2011 9:36:35 AM

15. To all the poor pathetic queens stuck in the 80's still worshipping Madge: please join the rest of us in the reality-based 21st century.

Posted by: Really? | Sep 6, 2011 9:40:39 AM

16. LOL!! That's my girl! Love you Madge. Gaga would have tossed his salad in appreciation.

Posted by: KCSTARINDALLAS | Sep 6, 2011 9:46:45 AM

17. Seriously, guys?

Madonna was polite to the guy. She smiled and thanked him twice for the flower. I think that's all she or anyone of us is required to do in a situation like that.

What more do you want from her?

Posted by: Jude | Sep 6, 2011 10:13:11 AM

18. Madonna is from Rochester Hills, Michigan. What's up with the British accent?

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 6, 2011 10:24:20 AM

19. @ Ryan (and anyone else who criticises her accent): I live in France and constantly find myself slipping into English (ie, not American English) when I teach and when I am around Brit or Aussie friends a lot. When you hear that accent all day, you just can't help but doing so. It's the same thing when I speak French or German; I start copying the accent of whoever is around me, it is natural, inevitable, and just part of being in a culture. Do you really think that after living in the UK for 8 years, having a British husband, and having British children, she wouldn't pick up a bit of a British accent? Only Americans would think of that as bizarre. And you know what, I really don't see what the problem is if she likes that accent better. Americans already LOATHE foreign languages, and now they can't even handle non-American English accents??? If you ask me, it went hand in hand with her jump into European culture, music, and being away from the US in the Bush Years!

Onto the current 'scandal', I really think it's hilarious ANYONE could call her rude with that. Really? It was the equivalent of "Thanks, white wine isn't really my thing, but I guess I'll try it out". I just...really...? I was expecting WAY worse than that!

After years of reading Towleroad, it is clear this site has a bias against both Madonna and Hillary Clinton. I don't know if Towleroad is sexist, or age-ist, or doesn't like powerful women, or doesn't like blond women, but I think every post I've every read concerning either of them has been a trash post, or tinged in a visibly negative way. And of course, each one is followed by a stream of age-ist and sex-ist comments, inevitably using the word 'b¡tch' and 'cüñt'. Sooooooooo pathetic! Thanks Towleroad, for doing your part in constantly picking at women who dared to focus on their careers and breaking barriers for women throughout their entire lives...not.

Posted by: HOCKEYJOCK | Sep 6, 2011 11:06:01 AM

20. Didn't know Andy "moderated" the comments section. I guess spelling out the word C*NT in relation to Madonna is forbidden! Pashaw!!

Posted by: Tagg2 | Sep 6, 2011 12:16:39 PM

21. She was a lot more gracious than I have been about receiving unnecessary accolades. But that's just me.

Posted by: Thunderboltfan | Sep 6, 2011 1:07:08 PM

22. OH MY GOD! WHERE oh WHERE did all this Madonna hatred come from? Especially for something as hilarious and inconsequential as this, I'm sincerely amazed how many people are dying to mouth off on how much they dislike her. Are you people all twelve years old and uninformed about how much Madonna has done for the LGBT community? Cut her a little slack. She was probably trying to make a joke. Get over yourselves!

Posted by: GMB | Sep 6, 2011 1:41:40 PM

23. What is with the comments be moderated so much? Total censorship. Someone I know tried posting twice on here and the comment disappeared. So weird thow oppressive this website is becoming.

Posted by: Waltwitman | Sep 6, 2011 3:29:46 PM

24. This is what was written:
    Why is there a fan coming up to her right before she does a press conference? If someone came up to me and told me that I was their princess I might find that strange too. I agree that this blog is becoming more and more negative towards Madonna. I imagine it has something to do with the fandom of you-know-who always on display here. I don't understand why gay men seem so caught up in their own generation gap. Why is there so much ageism on display, especially among gay men who still have to fight their own uphill battles to be accepted as equal? There has always been a love/hate rapport between Madonna and the public, and her relevance is measured by the fact that she is still getting more headlines than anyone else after all these years for doing next to nothing. That says a lot about the general public, and not much about her considering how guarded she is about her privacy. I wish her all the luck in the world with her new endeavors. How fantastic to still be passionate enough to push your own boundaries and abilities when you are comfortable enough to never do any work again...I'd say that is a good indication of artistry, whether or not it is to your personal taste.

Posted by: Waltwitman | Sep 6, 2011 3:33:13 PM

25. If you wanna pass judgement, pass it for something more serious than this. It was just kinda funny. We've all done and said far worse.

Posted by: Gary | Sep 6, 2011 6:49:58 PM