James Franco: Shirtless, Pink, Obsessed with River Phoenix

Wooooo_franco

James Franco appears shirtless and doused in pink paint on the cover of the new issue of 'Wooooo' magazine, an independently produced interview zine.

In other, Franco news, James was recently at the Toronto International Film Festival where he offered up cash for a 13-year-old girl's fan art of himself.

Franco was in town to discuss his collaboration with Gus van Sant, a multi-media installation based on My Own Private Idaho, CTV reports:

One of the films, "My Own Private River," is a feature-length collection of deleted scenes and alternate takes from the original shoot, while companion piece "Idaho" was developed from one of three scripts Van Sant used to create the original movie. Franco was 13 when that film — a dreamy drama that casted River Phoenix and Keanu Reeves as teenage hustlers with a complex relationship — was released. He said that he used to rent the VHS copy of the movie from his local video store over and over again.

"It was just something about the movie — the esthetic, the themes, I guess the idea of a makeshift family, River's incredible performance … and even the clothes," said Franco, seated next to Van Sant.

"I remember at the time I'd try to dress like River's character."

Franco and Van Sant — who was also present at Sunday's session — collaborated on the Academy Award winning film "Milk," and Van Sant remembered that even then, Franco wouldn't stop asking him about "Idaho."

"I'm just plain obsessed with 'My Own Private Idaho,"' said Franco, wearing a striped mohair sweater over a collared shirt with jeans and black boots.

Comments

1. dk says

I don’t get JF or the big fuss everyone makes over him. The only thing he seems to really be good at is creating questions about his sexuality which seems to keep people interested in the next strange thing he does.

2. JM says

@DK

I do not think he has ever created questions. I feel that the gay community has imposed that on him. He has always been a straight male who is comfortable enough with his sexuality that he can see beauty in relationships that deviate from his own preferences. Seems to me that there are a lot of gay men who seem to be angered that he is in fact straight, yet blurs the lines.

3. Rocky says

@JM

In the eyes of the usual sociopathic bitter gay bitches,every “attractive” guy is either a closet case or gay even though its written in stone that he is straight.Anderson Cooper who does not make his sexual orientation his job is indeed a “closet case” in their eyes.Apparently you have to begin every sentence with “I’m Gay” followed by your first and last name.Talk about being a small-minded smoldering little queen.

4. Oscar in Miami Beach says

He is great.He is comfortable with his sexuality.As opposed to Marky Mark that hates gays and is scare of them but not scare of selling drugs in South Boston when he was young.Ask the cops.They know him well.

5. testing" ton says

I like James and I don’t think he tries to make questions about his sexuality. He has a child with his girlfriend of several years. He just happens to have interests in some counter cultures

6. FunMe says

Guys and gals … chill! He’s probably straight and that’s cool. He’s just a straight MALE who think it’s cool to hang and be supportive of gays. How cool is that? Team Franco and hey … he’s an artist, straight, and artistic – so let’s keep him in our side.

7. George says

Erm, he does not have a child, and “his girlfriend of several years” was his girlfriend only on the red carpet. The recent playboy article noted the end of that “relationship”. His longest relationship is with his “partner” Vince Jolivette–14 years and counting. Roommates, business partners, friends, whatever he calls it. Never apart.