BigGayDeal.com

Gay Buffalo Teen Kills Himself After Years of Bullying: VIDEO

Rodemeyer

Jamey Rodemeyer, a 14-year-old gay teen from the Buffalo, NY area, killed himself last weekend after what his parents say was years of bullying, WIVB reports:

Soon after coming home from a family camping trip, Jamey was found dead Sunday. His parents say he was always under pressure because of struggles with his sexuality. Jamey’s mother Tracy Rodemeyer said, "So he hung around with the girls a lot, so then the teasing started happening like 'Oh you're such a girl or you're gay or whatever and that bothered him for many years."

Jamey’s father Tim Rodemeyer said, "To the kids who are bullying they have to realize that words are very powerful and what you think is just fun and games isn't to some people, and you are destroying a lot of lives."

Buffalo News adds:

On Saturday night, he posted a lyric from Lady Gaga's song "The Queen" on his Facebook page: "Don't forget me when I come crying to heaven's door."

Then around 1:30 a.m. Sunday, Jamey posted two final messages to his main public Tumblr blog. One said he really wanted to see his great-grandmother, who had recently died, and one offered thanks to Lady Gaga.

That was his last entry.

Jamey was very active online, with a Tumblr blog, and YouTube account. He "routinely blogged about school bullying and thoughts of suicide in between upbeat posts about his pop star idol Lady Gaga" and posted to his followers about National Suicide Prevention Week, the paper adds.

He even recorded an 'It Gets Better' video.

Watch Jamey's heartbreaking video, and a news report, AFTER THE JUMP...

WIVB report:

Parents carry on anti-bullying message: wivb.com

The Gay and Lesbian Youth Services of Western New York can be reached at 855-0221 or glyswny.org .

There are also national places to turn to for help. They are all free and confidential and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The Trevor Project
24/7 Suicide Hotline for GLBTQI Youth
1-866-4-U-Trevor
www.thetrevorproject.org

USA National Suicide Prevention Hotline
24/7, Free & Confidential
1-800-SUICIDE

Comments

1. RICK - humor me. Please enumerate for me the attributes, behaviors, and attitudes we all know instinctively are masculine. Because sometimes, I have been confused. Please let me know the specific decibel, tone, and character of laughter and speech I may exhibit. Show me how to walk, "Tea and Sympathy" style, so that I never offend. Show me the angle of the wrist I must never exceed, and the wave of my hand that must not appear too dramatic. Let me know what a masculine man can and cannot do. I need to know the acceptable limits. Because when I was a kid, I was instinctively attracted to some activities that got me the label of sissy even though at no time was I actively trying to emulate or copy women. I had no desire to be a woman and did not see myself as a girl. I had no concept of "gay" or conscious rejection of masculinity - some things just didn't interest me (even though many "gender-appropriate" activities did). Instinctively, I threw a baseball how I threw it; despite observing my brothers and friends, I threw like "a girl" (or so I was told). It didn't help that I was slight of build, blond, and "pretty" (or so I was also told, way too often).

Joining the choir at school (well, I was invited to join the junior high choir because of my lovely soprano voice - which, incidentally, didn't completely change until my late 20's) sealed my fate; that, and being cast in a play, which I mistakenly enjoyed even though plays were for girls and sissies. I was bullied mercilessly. I survived because I had some good friends, both male and female. I also learned my lesson: despite instinct, despite what you are drawn to, act like others and fit in. I eventually quit the choir and stopped any other activity that would make me suspect. I tried desperately to blend in and fade into the background. No effeminate behavior from me, ever again!

Only, it didn't work. In high school, I still looked like I was 10. I was still that kid who at one time sang. Despite efforts to offend no one, I wound up one day dragged behind the bleachers during P.E. by a group of boys who called me f*ggot and did still unspeakable things to me. One way or another, I was to pay for being a gender traitor, even though I tried to fit in, even though I didn't really think I was gay.

Puberty eventually found me. I grew into a pretty/handsome young man. But I carried around internalized shame because of what happened to me. It must, somehow, have been my fault. In some ways, the pathetic attempt at corrective rape was successful. I stopped being friends with the person I mentioned above to RIN; he was WAY too openly effeminate. I didn't want any of his sissy stink rubbing off on me - I learned my lesson, and resented the effeminate (even though, instinctively, something about all of this just didn't seem right, or fair). Years later, when I was older and wiser, I looked him up. Part of me wanted to apologize for rejecting him. How chagrinned I was to find out that he had flourished, is happily partnered for as long as I have been, is also a successful costume designer/college professor. He never apologized for being who he was and is. He never learned the lesson. And is a better man for it.

I'm older and wiser in many ways. It wasn't my fault. It wasn't my fault for liking "girl" things, or for being slight of build and pretty. I've even apologized to myself for blaming myself. I never wanted to be a "flamer" and don't feel I missed out on anything by not camping it up, not referring to me or anyone else as "she," not affecting over-the-top, exaggerated feminine mannerisms or bitchy, shallow attitudes. But I will not blame the effeminate for being who they are and how they are. They are not the ones, in my opinion, who need to learn a lesson. I will not succumb to the Stockholm Syndrome again.

Posted by: TJ | Sep 21, 2011 5:59:57 PM

2. This is so tragic and unnecessary. I blame the parents of the bullies. They teach hate and, some are a a single parent who works all the time and stays busy. They need to take responsibility for their kids and hopefully this will stop.l

Posted by: William May | Sep 21, 2011 6:39:35 PM

3. I am a straight married man and father of 2, combat veteran. I feel so terrible that people in general do not understand or properly respect an homosexual individual. This poor kid was trying his hardest to stay postive but unfortunately the bullying was overwhelming. My heart and prayers go out to his family.
    I've been on the battle field one too many times and I don't care if your black, white, Gay, Straight as long as you are fighting along my side and wearing that uniform with pride we are all the same. If your are "gay" take a stand and stay strong dont let bullies like Rick tell you different.
    People that bully others are true cowards in disguise, who have flaws and insecurities themselves.Remember just because you are gay does not mean your are not tougher then the man next to your. We are all truly equal with our own hidden talents. Again my deepest emotions to the Rodemeyer family.

Posted by: Darwin Martinez | Sep 21, 2011 9:05:31 PM

4. RIP Jamey. :(
    Oh how I DO wish he could/would have waited, called the Trevor Project Suicide Hotline and talked to friends and most of all...I wish he would have realized that IT DOES GET BETTER.Look at the repeal of DADT! That's just the beginning! Jamey will miss so many more victories and milestones...
    People are as diverse as fingerprints or snowflakes. No two are ever exactly alike.
    We ALL, as HUMANS, need to learn to, if not EMBRACE those differences..then at least TOLERATE without the need to taunt and bully.
    And this INCLUDES people who bully even WITHIN the LGBT community! Please feel free to be YOU and allow others the same rights. And those of you who are 18 or older...please just let the kids know that you are there to help to guide them through the emotional minefields.
    As with any cause worth fighting for...you should LEAD, FOLLOW or GET OUT OF THE WAY! Thank you. xoxoxoxox!!!

Posted by: queenrosered1 | Sep 21, 2011 9:34:43 PM

5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4fbYhPSijA

I made this for you Jamey

Posted by: Jay Foxworthy | Sep 22, 2011 12:33:03 AM

6. "And death shall have no dominion."

Dylan Thomas

Posted by: tjones | Sep 22, 2011 1:32:05 PM

7. Its sad for any one to have to take thier own life because of dealing with a world full of hate and lact of understanding we spend far to much time LABLING People then taking the time to understand and see where they are coming from I guess that was require to much time and energy / being small minded and foolish requires no thought or action which most people have become pleased with Reguardless of how you act Masc or Fem If you are comfortable doing so SHOULDNT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO without people having something to SAY ?? People All OVER THE WORLD GET BETTER BE BETTER BECOME BETTER

Posted by: Chem | Sep 22, 2011 7:25:52 PM

8. This breaks my heart. This breaks my heart. I am so sad.

Posted by: Eric M Davis | Sep 23, 2011 9:33:55 AM

9. @TJ

A beautifully honest posting, TJ. You didn't have to be so generous with painful memories, but we needed to read what you wrote. RICK's beliefs on this subject (and others) are ridiculous. His arguments on this subject of fem VS butch among Gay men are old and of no value for the 21st Century.

Thanks again, TJ.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 23, 2011 9:57:13 AM

10. @ Rick: As someone who identifies as a Black gay male, your ignorant and effemiphobic statements are disastrously offensive and dangerously myopic.

Recommended reading: http://yoloakili.com/2011/09/reflections-of-a-black-queer-suicide-survivor-part-1/

Posted by: David | Sep 25, 2011 12:12:50 PM

11. DERRICK - didn't know people were still posting on this thread until I saw David's listed on the "recent posts" sidebar. Thank you for your support. I don't know if I was being so generous; just trying to be real in the hopes of making a point about the difference between "should" and reality. "One size fits all," fits no one. I read your posts all of the time, and appreciate your perspectives as well as your humor.

Posted by: TJ | Sep 25, 2011 3:07:14 PM

12. I think that it's messed up that people won't let other people live their lives like they want to. Nobody's perfect and nobody has the right to judge.

Posted by: Sophia Hatcher | Sep 27, 2011 8:28:22 AM

13. I think that they should get the one who are doing the bullying to because i am 14 to i get bully but if they dont do it where it get serious they dont put hands on me but if i see some being bully I WILL HELP no matter what cuz no kid shoild go though anything because of the way the act look or talk .!!

Posted by: ingrid | Sep 27, 2011 8:47:36 PM

14. This is so tragic...its not fair..why must people judge others...They're not God.!!! This will not be ignored..Please Join the Jamey Rodemeyer Support Group in Facebook.!! We're trying to raise awareness of the situation.!! bullying has to STOP.!!

Posted by: Jumii | Sep 30, 2011 9:14:01 AM

15. 14 years old and already playing for the other team? Shows the ground the gay agenda has gained. First they said they just wanted to be tolerated and accepted. Now they're shoving it down our throats.

If you're going to be gay and advertise it, don't expect not to be ridiculed. What on earth did you think would happen?

Posted by: Thanatopsis | Oct 14, 2011 11:47:47 AM

16. rick get over your self because being gay isnt wrong neither is being bisexual because i am

Posted by: cody | Jan 6, 2012 9:48:30 PM

17. rick get over your self because being gay isnt wrong neither is being bisexual because i am

Posted by: cody | Jan 6, 2012 9:52:01 PM

18. Oh, I don't hate gays, I love everyone....except lady gaga. In all seriousness tho, I feel bad for the boy RIP

Posted by: j rock | Apr 11, 2013 9:05:44 PM