Barack Obama | Bullying | Lady Gaga | News

Lady Gaga: I'm Meeting Obama Over Anti-Gay Bullying Suicides

Gaga_obama

Lady Gaga tweeted today that she's meeting with President Obama following the suicide of gay 14-year-old teen Jamey Rodemeyer, who killed himself last weekend after what his parents said was years of bullying.

Said Gaga in another tweet: "The past days I've spent reflecting, crying, and yelling. I have so much anger. It is hard to feel love when cruelty takes someones life."

Rodemeyer Rodemeyer offered thanks to Gaga in an emotional "It Gets Better" video he recorded earlier this year in which he talked about the bullying he was enduring.

Said Rodemeyer in the video: "Lady Gaga, she makes me so happy. She lets me know that I was born this way, and that's my advice to you, from her, and all you have to do is hold your head up, and you'll go far."

Rodemeyer's mother, Tracy, told CBS News:

"It really just started with all the boys, cause all the girls just loved him and they always defended him, but all the boys would say, 'Geez you're such a girl. Why are you hanging out with all those girls? What are you, a girl? Oh, you must be gay'...The bullies now are still walking around. They get to wake up tomorrow and go to school and see all their friends, but my son will not be given a second chance no matter how much I have prayed. I would have given my own life to turn back the minute we seen him."

CBS News adds:

Tracy Rodemeyer will bury her son in a t-shirt with a message of acceptance and defiance. It reads simply: "Born this way."

Comments

1. Parents don't always know their children are being bullied. I did not want my parents to know when I was being bullied in grade school. I felt ashamed. But I had a lot of love from my parents who were proud of me, and a sister and brothers who loved me, and I had some friends in school, so I made it through okay, even though some days at school were hell. Fortunately things got a lot better for me when I went to a good high school

Posted by: john patrick | Sep 21, 2011 9:14:42 PM

2. I want to know what Gaga's going to wear to this meeting with Obama! The meat dress? The lobster headdress? Will she arrive in the egg?!

Posted by: Sancho | Sep 21, 2011 9:35:57 PM

3. Only two celebrities out there are working very hard to promote equality right now! Lady Gaga and Cyndi Lauper. I would love to see this two wonderful artist work on a song together! Cyndi just opened the True Colors Home Residence for young LGBT homeless in NYC. They both make this world a much better place!

Posted by: Sean | Sep 21, 2011 9:39:51 PM

4. Really, my comments were deleted AGAIN?

Oh, I forgot, this isn't the place to have an intelligent conversation, just bray at each other like donkeys fighting on the f***ing internet.

Posted by: Jesus | Sep 21, 2011 9:58:02 PM

5. @LincolnLounger ... Not sure what you mean by Brad Pitt paying "lip service". He's on record for having donated a lot of money to the No-on-Prop-8 campaign. What else do you want him to do besides frequently promote marriage equality (which he has also done in interviews)?

Posted by: RJ | Sep 21, 2011 10:11:14 PM

6. I wonder if Gaga will actually meant with Obama...

Posted by: BRENDA | Sep 21, 2011 10:31:48 PM

7. We know that we are readily available 24/7 -- through email, cell phone, twitter, IM, Facebook - and we know that this very availability makes the bullying relentless - inescapable - exhausting and terrifying -- for many gay and lesbian teens - going far beyond the high school hallways and other school activities -- to their homes - their rooms - and seemingly their entire world -- we know this -- WE KNOW THIS.

Anyone who provides any respite at all from this horrific daily fear and terror - be it Lady Gaga or Dan Savage - is a hero - a God Damn American hero -- and are to be applauded and celebrated - period.

Posted by: Ricky | Sep 21, 2011 10:35:39 PM

8. How could Lady Gaga not take this personally? She's done so much, she wrote an anthem, appeared on talk shows, gave interviews, tweeted, fought for marriage equality, and on and on. Now a little boy is laid to rest in a tee shirt with her lyrics on it, and his last words were about how the song made him feel better. But it wasn't enough to save him. We could take inspiration from her example of meeting with the president-she's taking action in response to this tragedy-she's doing something, and taking it to the top. I applaud her. What will I do in response to this senseless death? What will you do?

Posted by: kodiak | Sep 21, 2011 11:11:44 PM

9. people post vile on here just to rile people up. they get joy out of making people angry, just like bullies get joy out of hurting people. Ignore the trolls. Reflect on life and remember those who have it tougher.

Posted by: reality | Sep 21, 2011 11:23:30 PM

10. And lets see how much we can bully in the comments section of a pro-gay-LGBT issues website.

Posted by: dd | Sep 21, 2011 11:23:32 PM

11. I have usually always been proud of my gay brothers and sisters, but after reading some of the thoughtless trash written on this thread, I realize we're really no better than the worst of rednecks. Lisa, you disgust me to no end. If I had known about this kid, I would have reached out to him and done whatever I could for him. It might not have been enough, but I would have tried. Poor boy, may God be with you now and forever. When is enough, enough?

Posted by: John Simpson | Sep 21, 2011 11:37:42 PM

12. We, my husband and I, have three adopted sons. One is 19 and Gay. The other two (15 and 11) are NON-Gay.

The two youngest have been bullied at their schools and even though we have reported the various (and at times daily verbal abuse they have faced) administrators have done little other than obtaining empty promises from the perpetrators...I say empty because these boys have continued the bullying relentlessly.

We are now forced to elevate this matter to a legal level. We have had to get a lawyer involved to get the school districts of our youngest son's elementary to get seriously involved. Even with me present the bullies have called our son all sorts of awful names...it has been a nightmarish for him!

Our middle son's school administrators promised to keep a closer eye on the boy doing the bullying...as well as on his friends who have decided to join in the bullying.

Somehow many administrators just don't get...and in some cases, not even after t is far too late to anything...

It is simply awful!

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Sep 22, 2011 12:02:39 AM

13. What beautiful child. Even though his life was short he brought so much to it. It is sad that a brilliantly light person such as he, so disturbs the darkness in some, that even in his death, they can't stop the bullying. Rest in Peace dear boy. You, just being who you are, opened my heart, thank you.

Posted by: Joey | Sep 22, 2011 12:17:34 AM

14. So, "Lisa G" if that is really her/its name, waddles out of her disgusting cave to stir up hate and try to get a response. She gets one-- all the while dancing on the grave of a 14 year old boy. There are no words to express just how sickening "Lisa G" is. This is her MO. She does it in thread after thread. My guess? "Lisa G" is a warped religious right-wing troll simply looking to stir up trouble and take people off point. The real point? Lady Gaga with "Born This Way' and Dan Savage with It Gets Better are flat-out heroes and have done SO much to make this world a better place. While scum like "Lisa G" continue to do all they can to make things worse...

Posted by: iawl | Sep 22, 2011 12:40:46 AM

15. Rodemeyer's story makes me feel helpless. When I heard about Tyler Cimenti's case, I thought that the community, through institutions like Trevor Project, could give these victims the affirmation of self-worth that their families withhold. Near as I can see, even a supportive family, as Rodemeyer appeared to have had, just isn't enough.

@LadyGaga thank you for trying.

Posted by: Rich | Sep 22, 2011 12:49:57 AM

16. @ Iawl,

Like you, I've noted "Lisa G" on thread after thread spewing typical fundamentalist Christian BS. An obvious troll.

Posted by: Artie | Sep 22, 2011 1:07:07 AM

17. Don't feel bad... My first comment appears to have been censored too. It was a little long, and I actually called out the religionists for encouraging and reveling in teen suicides.

Funny how, after all the time religionists spend abusing and berating young children, that anyone could PRESUME to infer that they bear some responsibility in making this world unsafe for young questioning children.

Funny too, how a comment that says as much would be censored and removed. Obviously someone has a gun to Towleroad's head(s).

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Sep 22, 2011 1:18:56 AM

18. The problem is in the schools. This kid knew who he was, he was comfortable with himself. But he would have started school a few weeks ago and he obviously couldn't face some of the people there anymore.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 22, 2011 1:20:35 AM

19. . If you have the time to sit down and write a comment then offer something that will help, or offer an idea that will inspire someone. Negative words led to this boy feeling so awful and unwanted that he felt life was worthless....as a community we are creative, we are powerful, and we certainly know how to use words. Lady Gaga might actually be someone really useful..

Posted by: web design London | Sep 22, 2011 1:24:33 AM

20. May I simply recommend NOT burying anyone in a shirt that says "born this way". Think about it.

Posted by: Randy | Sep 22, 2011 1:40:46 AM

21. Poor boy, It did not have to end this way. It's time for gays to stop being weak. I was bullied too in school but not once did I have suicidal thoughts. Life moves forward and so did I. Maybe it was because I did not care about my "social status" and most of these suicidal teens do. I was lonely but I did not care. Most of these bullies end up being low-life's anyway. You just have to hang in there and it will get better.

Posted by: Gonzo | Sep 22, 2011 3:06:31 AM

22. The parents should be held more responsible. They should have had Plan B in place for pulling him out of that toxic environment. That child should have been presented w more options than he thought he had.

Posted by: Von Lmo | Sep 22, 2011 3:45:07 AM

23. Oh Lisa G. Is that the best you can manage? Honestly my love, we're going to have to send you back to Troll School for emergency remedial troll-work.

Look dear, you're letting down trolls all over the world with your clearly obvious attempts to upset people. Don't you realise that the first rule of trolling is "don't be obvious". If people spot you're a troll, then you lose all your power. You need to concentrate on appearing innocent and reasonable and getting other people to disagree with other, while you can just sit back and enjoy the misery you cause.

You are giving hard-working trolls a bad name. Sort yourself out love. Towleroad is a good site, and it deserves better than your half-hearted, lazy attempts. Even that
    someone who barely tries, like Anatasisa Beaverhausen manages better than you.

Improve - or get yourself over to Queerty, where you'll find the trolling much more basic and suited to your level.

Posted by: Keithy | Sep 22, 2011 5:15:27 AM

24. another ploy lady Gaga is using to make a quick buck off the GLBT community

Posted by: Richard Golden | Sep 22, 2011 6:07:20 AM

25. A lot of people are clearly incapable of "getting it". I'm reffering to those saying things like "bullying is bad, but it's not worth killing yourself over so it's his choice/fault". No point arguing with individuals like this, since they're not smart enough to understand (empathy is dependent on overall intelligence). Moving on from haters/trolls/idiots, this is one of the saddest news I got lately. Pleny of blame to go around. Bullies and their parents, the social worker who was counseling him, the school's administration that allowed the bullying to take place over an indefinite period of time whithout acting, the international business corporation of child rape, murder, hate, discrimination, stupidity and violence (aka the church - all of them, in all religions) and so on and so forth. And we have another kid killed (because it is murder, no matter how much some people want to hide it).

Posted by: Peter | Sep 22, 2011 7:01:13 AM