Immigration | News

Gregory and Guillermo, a Gay Bi-National Couple, Chronicle Their Immigration Battle: VIDEO

Greg_guille

Gregory and a Guillermo are a gay bi-national couple chronicling the immigration challenges they face, in a project called The Other Half of the Orange.

Here's their first video, which deals with a forced separation in Sweden after Guillermo was denied a visa to come back into the U.S.

Writes Gregory: "He'd been approved for an O-1 by the dept of homeland security here in the states, but the next step is to re-enter the country and have this validated. His lawyer advised he go through a western European country (as the embassy in his home country of Colombia has a bad rep for mistreating Colombians) but this was a huge mistake. They look down on that, and he wasn't gven the visa. Had our partnership been validated federally, considering that hetero Americans can secure a visa for their fiances(!), this would not have been as long and painful as it has"

Gregory tells me they plan to marry in NY this fall, though protections will still not be guaranteed until DOMA is repealed.

Watch the sweet video, AFTER THE JUMP...

farväl chapter 1 from the other half of the orange on Vimeo.

Comments

1. I get what they are going through: I am a Colombian gay man... and visiting my US boyfriend is not the easiest endeavor I can think of....

Good luck to this sweet bi-national couple!

=)

Posted by: George Florez | Sep 23, 2011 2:30:41 PM

2. If only someone would do a playgirl cover to raise awareness for this issue.

Posted by: DJSauvage | Sep 23, 2011 2:52:02 PM

3. Not sure I get from the information here why they left the U.S. for Europe in the first place? Was it to get Guillermo's visa?

Posted by: Charley | Sep 23, 2011 3:00:13 PM

4. I'm half of a bi-national couple, myself. Stories like this sicken me. But at the same time they make me somewhat glad that I never had these kinds of troubles. Sure, flying across the country every single weekend to be with my boyfriend was a struggle, but there was no uncertainty.

And remember, Maggie Gallagher has commented on this specific issue, saying that gay couples aren't worthy of the privilege of immigration equality.

Posted by: DN | Sep 23, 2011 7:36:52 PM

5. Just makes me laugh that its 2011, almost 2012, and this is still going on.

Posted by: Jim | Sep 24, 2011 3:00:37 PM

6. Charley: as they describe in the story, you can't get a visa in the US, you have to leave the country and go to an embassy. The US embassy in Guillermo's home country is known for corruption (which is fairly common for embassies in the non-Western world), but he should be able to get his visa at any other US embassy in the world Their lawyer advised them to go to Western Europe; apparently, that advice was misguided and he was unable to get his visa there. It's a no-win situation is the embassy in one's home country is corrupt. This happens to straight people as well: if the embassy is dishonest, they will expect you to pay thousands of dollars in bribes (obviously illegal) to grant you a visa.

Posted by: Luisa | Sep 28, 2011 1:06:43 AM