Comments

1. jason says

Why on earth is Towleroad promoting Rihanna? She’s not particularly gay-friendly, has failed to say anything postive about gay rights to the media, and refuses to speak out against gay rights abuses in her home country of Barbados.

Moreover, Rihanna’s image is manufactured and designed to titillate sleazy straight guys of the type who hate gay guys. Oh, and did I mention that she can’t sing?

2. bruce says

I swear I have heard this sound before. It sounds like version 1,0024 from the school of no-talent synthesizer-fixated DJ/producers with too much time on their hands. The lyrics are dreadful and repetitive.

3. bruce says

Bart, exactly my thoughts. This type of sound has been around for at least 15 years. It just seems that Calvin Harris has re-gurgitated the exact same sound and set it to Rihanna’s distorted, AutoTuned vocal.

I really was expecting much better.

4. Christian says

Thank you to every comment above. Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one who thinks this over-hyped, untalented woman is dreadful. Towleroad does realize that gay people listen to music other than repetitive auto-tuned pop, right? That being said, I do look forward to a lot of this site’s music roundups, can’t wait to hear what they think of the new Tori Amos and Kate Bush albums.

5. graphicjack says

I actually don’t mind her, but did anyone else notice the homage to Madonna in the photo? Looks very early 80’s/Burning Up/Borderline to me. Looks like Gaga isn’t the only co-opter of her style. Wannabe’s. :)

6. TyN says

I don’t see why people are complaining. It’s pop music, and for the most part this is what today’s pop music is. I’m not a fan of pop, but it is what it is. If you want music reviews then go to Pitchfork.

I do however, like that electronic music has seeped its way into nearly every genre now.

7. BEAHBEAH says

If Lady Gaga sang this, how many of you would be praising it as genius? I’m guessing quite a few

It’s a dance/pop song, not gonna change the world. Three listens from now, most of you will be singing the chorus to yourself… and of course dancing to it in the clubs.

8. dms says

Huge hit. Mark my words. Very early 90’s club. Can’t you just see Victor Calderone remixing this? I’m hearing echos of ultra nate free.

Someone do a mash up!

I didn’t know we were supposed to be boycotting rihanna.

Truth be told, I’m not even really a fan. I don’t own her music and I sort of think she exploits violence against women. Her videos seem portray her as a virago who seems to tempt men to beat her. Creepy. And I’ve heard her interviews. Not a bright girl.

That said, i do think this sounds like a huge hit and will be big with gays in the clubs.