Andy Cohen | News | Patti Stanger

BigGayDeal.com

Millionaire Matchmaker Patti Stanger Praises Non-'Queeny' Gays, Says Gays Can't Be Monogamous: VIDEO

Stanger

Viewers on social networks began calling for the cancellation of Millionaire Matchmaker Patti Stanger's show following remarks on the premiere of Andy Cohen's Watch What Happens Live last night.

After telling one caller who asks her about monogamy that "in the gay world, it will always be open" and "there is no curbing the gay man," Stanger tells Cohen "I have tried to curb you people."

When Cohen objects, she says, "When was the last time you had a boyfriend?...You know this. You're gay."

Stanger expressed the same sentiment in 2009 on her show.

Another gay caller received this compliment from Stanger: "First of all, you're very handsome, I thought you were straight...because [you're] not queeny."

Jewish men were also targeted by Stanger: "They lie." "So I'm a non-monogamous liar," Cohen responded, half in jest.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Longer video over at Gawker.

Comments

1. When one of your requirements for your "dating service" is 'must have at least $1million' I doubt that relationship is founded on love.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 26, 2011 1:36:27 PM

2. Brash loudmouth sticks her foot in it. This is news how, exactly?

She's obnoxious, she's shallow, and yes, she labors under ridiculous stereotypes. And as Jonathan pointed out she also really sucks at her job. The only reason she's still on the air is because she's great television (see above). But she's starting to alienate her audience and more importantly her producer. Stick a fork in her. She's done.

Posted by: Don | Sep 26, 2011 1:37:26 PM

3. Andy, you can call me . . . single, Jewish, looking for a monogamous relationship. Wrong coast, but we'll figure that out.

Posted by: Alan | Sep 26, 2011 1:40:03 PM

4. With people like her, it's helpful to rely an an old adage:

"Consider the source."

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Sep 26, 2011 1:47:34 PM

5. Yet another trash show and trash person foisted on the world by Andy -- trash begets trash.

Posted by: floria1 | Sep 26, 2011 1:57:27 PM

6. I don't think she's homophobic, at all. I think she's ignorant, as has been said, very vain and narcissistic, with an extremely simplistic, Los Angeles-stereotypical world view. I also agree she was probably coming with the "my gays" mentality and expecting us to just nod and laugh. Her show is trash TV. These comments come with the territory we're stepping in.

The thing I have to say is that, ultimately, quite a number of gay men will and have said the very same thing, so I'm not going to go gun ho in attacking her, that would make us hypocrites. Unless we criticize all the gay men who believe the same things.

Posted by: Francis | Sep 26, 2011 2:12:50 PM

7. First of all, monogamy, like marriage, is overrated. Many gay (and some hetero) couples are fine with open relationships.

Second, I trimmed my cable TV plan back to the cheapest available ($14/month) three years ago, losing Bravo as part of the deal. And you know what? Good riddance. Don't miss it. Reading about what it has become is irritating enough.

Posted by: Thunderboltfan | Sep 26, 2011 2:18:48 PM

8. Uhm. It's kinda true. Don't be mad cause she called you out.

Posted by: Yes | Sep 26, 2011 2:32:18 PM

9. what is this "person"? and why is anybody--anybody--give it airtime?

Posted by: Danny | Sep 26, 2011 2:55:37 PM

10. She has a point, maybe she could finesse it better and not seem as if it is so offensive. But, face it fellas...how many gay men in long term relationships are genuinely monogamous? We celebrate grindr and circuit parties and craigslist and manhunt. Why don't we lift up loving long term relationships and condemn the other? We can't have it both and you can't claim gay culture is "different" it isn't...it's wrong.

I'm no fan of this grackle, but she is right. The gays are oftentimes an embarrassment. I'd rather be alone that have to open up my relationship because it's what gays do.

Posted by: Chas | Sep 26, 2011 3:01:29 PM

11. Gay male couples are more promiscuous than heterosexual couples, not because we're both gay, but because we're both men. That doesn't mean that all gay men are promiscuous, or even most, but face it A LOT of US ARE! And I place no negative connotations or pejorative sentiments on the word promiscuous. I believe that monogamous and open relationships are both morally neutral. What matters is what the partners in the relationship agree to. Monogamy is not "better" - it's a valid choice among options. We have to remember that the gay movement has always been 50% about rights and 50% about sexual liberation. Our goal should not be to be "just like straight people."

Posted by: jimsur212 | Sep 26, 2011 3:10:38 PM

12. I wouldn't say that she was completely wrong in her opinions, but she was still crass and offensive. Of course, that goes for just about everything she said. Andy Cohen's pained facial expressions suggested that he may have regretted giving an entire hour over to Patti's rants without having some other guest to act as a much needed buffer to challenge her ridiculous generalizations.

Posted by: Abie | Sep 26, 2011 3:15:43 PM

13. If this was on TV I'd be so pissed... Public Web Access Shows, will they ever learn...

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Sep 26, 2011 3:17:07 PM

14. Hysterical.

Posted by: anon | Sep 26, 2011 3:18:00 PM

15. It was on TV...The Bravo talkshow, "Watch What Happens Live."

Posted by: Grant | Sep 26, 2011 3:23:09 PM

16. With the divorce rate being as high as it is I don't think the gay community is the only community who find monogamy challenging.

Posted by: Jon Lee Hart | Sep 26, 2011 3:23:50 PM

17. I wish I would have seen this chick on the street so I could give her a piece of my quasi-queeny, monogamously-inclined mind. For real, like who the hell is she anyway? You know my friend actually suggested we try out for this show, but I couldn't stand to have her pick me apart without wanting to fly into a rage

Posted by: Jesus | Sep 26, 2011 3:41:32 PM

18. Well some people in the LGBT community definitely help to fuel the assumptions that gays indeed can't stick to one person.

Wasn't Alan Cumming a few days ago saying men aren't meant to be monogamous?

Posted by: Bryan | Sep 26, 2011 3:42:12 PM

19. My husband and I have been monogamous for 7 years PATTI!!!!!!

Posted by: mrbill | Sep 26, 2011 3:43:15 PM

20. And since when did "coupledom" become the new orthodoxy ?
    And what "gay-police"set themselves up to patrol that bogus moral value ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 26, 2011 3:45:16 PM

21. ...Who?
    Why does this woman who completely doesn't matter warrant ANY attention from us?

Posted by: Liam | Sep 26, 2011 4:01:32 PM

22. I'm always stunned to find that gay men have bought into the whole heterosexual ideal and that they can be the most closed minded and conservative of all. A good relationship is one that makes both people happy, end of story. A monogamous one isn't better than an open one and vice versa. To suggest that an open relationship happens at the expense of a caring loving one is just plain retarded. The happiest, most long term loving couples I know aren't monogamous (nor are they out fooling around with others 7 days a week either). Patti is a complete ignoramous when it comes to both gay and straight relationships. I mean c'mon, she hates redheads (asks people to dye their hair), she hates curly hair (asks people to straighten their hair), basically says that nobody overweight will ever find love and tells people they are ugly. If you find yourself agreeing with her I suggest you have a lot to learn about life.

Posted by: Jonathan | Sep 26, 2011 4:06:01 PM

23. @Jonathan : Exactly !
    When did it become compulsory to ape every flawed characteristics of the straight community ?
    I thought we were worth a little more to ourselves than to become some kind of slow learner mirror images of our betters.
    I'm afraid that to me it all smacks of our low self esteem that we measure ourselves and our behaviour by hetro standards.

Sweet Jesus, what next ? We all have to have kids as well ?
    This orthodoxy is getting irritating.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 26, 2011 4:24:57 PM

24. And I never thought that because I'm in love with my BF that it ever gave me rights of possession !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 26, 2011 4:31:22 PM

25. She is completely correct. It's just not acceptable to say these things in polite society (which, of course, is a suitable description for the USA).

Posted by: Shane | Sep 26, 2011 4:33:04 PM