Crime | New York | News | Stonewall

BigGayDeal.com

Stonewall Inn Gay Bashers Plead Guilty to Hate Crime Assault

Christopher Orlando, 18, and Matthew Francis, 22, two Staten Island men who attacked Benjamin Carver, a DC resident on a visit to New York City, in the bathroom of the Stonewall Inn in October 2010, pleaded guilty to felony hate crime yesterday, DNA Info reports:

Francis Francis (pictured) pleaded guilty to third-degree assault as a hate crime and second-degree attempted robbery. He is expected to be sentenced on Sept. 27. Orlando, who prosecutors believed played a lesser role in the attack, pleaded guilty to third-degree assault as a hate crime and second-degree attempted robbery in exchange for a six-month jail sentence to be handed down Jan. 12. He also faced up to eight years in jail. The case was prosecuted by the Manhattan District Attorney's Hate Crimes Unit.

In the October 2010 attack, Carver was asked if he was gay and then pinned down by Orlando while Francis beat him, saying, Get away from me faggot. I don't like gay people."

Comments

1. Francis will be limping out of prison. Sweet Justice!

Posted by: Robin | Sep 9, 2011 9:53:35 AM

2. Murder: New York City

'Each day, the New York Police Department announces major crimes, including most homicides, in the five boroughs. This data is compiled from those reports, in addition to news accounts, court records and additional reporting. The map will be updated as new information becomes available.'

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 9, 2011 9:55:29 AM

3. White trash thug. Enjoy prison.

Posted by: Max | Sep 9, 2011 10:05:16 AM

4. If it's OK to refer to anyone [real or imagined] to be 'working-class', 'blue-collar', 'un-educated', etc. as 'white trash', is it OK to refer to 'poor' [working-class,blue collar] people of color as the N-word? Ditto 'Hispanics'? OK to call them [the 'un-educated' ones, of course] as 'sp*cs'?

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 9, 2011 10:14:12 AM

5. The disparagingly classist comments that proceed mine aside, I'm glad to hear that this case actually went somewhere.

Every time I use the men's bathroom downstairs at Stonewall, I only use the single stall one with the lock because I saw the damage that was left after this attack and I didn't want to be in that situation. This is the point of hate crimes legislation though--stricter penalties for those who seek to spread profound and lasting fear throughout an entire community through their actions.

Posted by: Jesus | Sep 9, 2011 10:28:11 AM

6. Ratbastard,

you're obsessed with inner-city crime. Why don't you move to Wyoming. You might get lynched for being a homo, but you won't have to deal with your recurring nightmare: an inner-city Black male with a gun saying, "better gimme yo' money 'cause that watch you got on aint real gold."

If not Wyoming, Ratbastard, then maybe Montana--real "Brokeback Country"...not a Colored person in sight. Ooops, I forgot about Native Americans. Try Iceland, RAT.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 9, 2011 10:37:47 AM

7. Derrick, you are off topic as always. "Wyoming," "inner-city Black male," "Montana," "Brokeback Country," "Native Americans," and "Iceland" have NOTHING to do with this story.

Rat, you make a very good point. No one cares if I say "white trash," but if I even say so much as "black homophobia," the left-wing guardians of free speech go apoplectic. I wonder why that is.

Posted by: Max | Sep 9, 2011 11:00:35 AM

8. @ Ratbastard & Derrick from Philly,

It's not the color of skin, it's the garbage that people of whatever color read in the New Testament. Oh, come on. Don't be coy. All that hate-filled anti-gay venom that the apostle Paul is always ranting about. And where, exactly, do you think the gay basher in this post gets his ideas from? It's funny, but I still haven't heard about any groundswell of Christians who want to revise the New Testament and delete Paul's homophobic tirades. I guess there just aren't any Xtians who are bothered by it.

Now then, Ratbastard and Derrick from Philly, I know that the two of you will have disagreements based on racial disrespect. But neither one of you could possibly give any respect to that hateful so-called New Testament "religion". Wait. I just realized that I forgot something in my post. I forgot to mention the Old Testament. (LMFAO)

Posted by: Artie | Sep 9, 2011 11:02:07 AM

9. He's gonna have a nice time in the slammer....

Posted by: Steve | Sep 9, 2011 11:07:43 AM

10. That dudes in the closet! He has gayface big time!

I swear, it's always the homophobes that cause trouble that would like nothing more than a juicy cock in their mouth.

Posted by: Matt | Sep 9, 2011 11:17:53 AM

11. Derrick this message is personally for you...by the way not all people in Wyoming are monsters...yes the Matthew Shepherd incident did happen...I had lived there for 7 years I did not ever have a problem and I will be going back after college...also those that dispel hate as you have are gay themselves....you can scream no i am not gay but you are being self loathing individual and hate yourself...there have been studies proving that those that dispels homophobe comments are gay themselves...

Posted by: Silas | Sep 9, 2011 11:23:18 AM

12. @ Silas

Whats that got to do with this story?

We all know ratbastard is just that: a rat bastard.He's just another redneck fag who lives in the middle of nowhere.Its a good thing he's so afraid of New York City because he wouldnt last 2.5 whole seconds with his dingbat racist attitude.Im amazed at how many racist white gay bitches read towleroad.I guess "angry white man" sydrome is a nationwide disease that even gay white men can get.

Posted by: Rocky | Sep 9, 2011 2:23:09 PM

13. Most of these comments explain why bashings still happen. Name-calling and blatant disrespect of one another.

When will we break out of the prison of disrespect?

Posted by: Stan L | Sep 9, 2011 2:29:20 PM

14. Rocky, I understood Rat's comment to be a question about double standards in racial language. Perhaps you could enlighten us with a principled response, rather than an ad hominem attack?

Posted by: Max | Sep 9, 2011 3:13:59 PM

15. Oh, Max, you disingenuous racist.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Sep 9, 2011 4:05:27 PM

16. Sorry, Sugarhill. Race card expired on January 20, 2009. You'll have to come up with something else from now on.

Posted by: Max | Sep 9, 2011 4:58:49 PM

17. @Rocky,

1] I DO NOT live '...in the middle of no where'

2] I was born and raised in big cities [NYC + Boston]. I grew up in 'minority-majority' neighborhoods. I have multiple 'minority' friends, and talk with them the same way I post here [except I have a potty mouth, which is censored on TR].They aren't offended, in fact generally agree. My best friend is Puerto Rican.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 9, 2011 11:56:08 PM