2012 Election | Barack Obama | Democratic Party | Elizabeth Warren | News

Elizabeth Warren Takes on 'Class Warfare': VIDEO

Elizabeth_warren

A new clip of Harvard law professor and consumer advocate Elizabeth Warren, who is challenging Scott Brown for U.S. Senate in Massachusetts, shows why she'll be a formidable debate opponent and showcases her skills in discussing the debt crisis, fair taxation, and the "class warfare" accusations leveled by Republicans against President Obama over raising taxes on the rich.

Explains Warren in this clip from her talking tour: "There is nobody who got rich on his own."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via dan savage)

Comments

1. ON FIRE!

Posted by: Glenn I | Sep 22, 2011 1:15:36 PM

2. What is the gay equivalent to lemming follower? Does sexual preference automatically draw you to socialist taxation policy?

Posted by: Lisa G | Sep 22, 2011 1:19:42 PM

3. If only our President were so inspired ...

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Sep 22, 2011 1:35:21 PM

4. Wow, someone who GETS it!

Any chance she can beat this?

I think he is well-liked and polls for him are strong. SO as fantastic as she might be, does she really have a chance?

Posted by: dms | Sep 22, 2011 2:18:41 PM

5. rick the latest PPP poll shows Warren beating Brown

PPP has been the most acurate pollster out of all 2008 and 2010 election cycles #1

The reason PPP is more acurate is due to computerized caller polling as vs live pollster calling. Live people can scew questions, scew answers, fudge results so the fewer actual humans involved in the process of polling increases accuracy which PPP is showing hands down #1

warren is winning against Brown at the moment but it is only 2 weeks since her announcement and can be easily explained by that since most politicos do well after they first announce. Months from now is the question

Posted by: say what | Sep 22, 2011 2:20:13 PM

6. Ps Lisa G

LOL

The top 10 earning Buiosnesses in fact did NOT pay any taxes what so ever last year and many recieved subsidies from the gov/ corporate welfare

Exxon paid $0 and recieved Billions from the gov though they made Billions in profits

Bank of America paid $0

ATT paid $0

GE paid $0 and actualy recieved billions from the gov though they made billions in profits

You Lisa G are misinformed or purposefully perpetuate lies

Choose your side and know the Koch brothers and other oligarchs don't even care if you exist

Posted by: say what | Sep 22, 2011 2:23:45 PM

7. Lisa G is just a typical libertarian troll who doesn't understand how our economy works. Get some education honey. then come back and tell me just how much those corporations are putting into the community. Profit margins now compared to 75 years ago are INSANE. The rich get richer and the middle/working class get squeezed. A civilization can only be judged on how it treats its poorest citizen. Poverty and homelessness are not getting any better, and I really don't think that another tax cut for a corporation is going to feed the old widow living in poverty in my neighborhood or take care of you should you end up old, alone and poor. Good luck with your blind allegiance to the rich.

Posted by: wtf | Sep 22, 2011 3:11:32 PM

8. Sometimes I'll comment on Towleroad but I always read it, and I just have to say that it is NOT worth even addressing Lisa G. A complete troll who apparently runs straight to Towleroad full of right wing talking points, always trying to come off lighthearted but totally insulting at the same time and THEN denying it when called out, and crying about how abused s/he is by everyone at Towleroad for then attacking her! Just dropping a note to say that while conflict can lead to great discussion, that's not Lisa G.'s intent. Best ignored, I say, and I say this after having fallen for it a few times.

Posted by: Derek | Sep 22, 2011 5:24:47 PM

9. I had thought she would run as an Independent much like Bernie Sanders. She shows that she can stand on her two feet, she doesn't need the party to show her platform. Not to mention her long hard fought record of defending the middle class. Hopefully the people of Mass. will get out and vote for this great woman and hopefully people won't swoon for the Wall Street sell out Scott Brown because of his truck. So stupid that he was able to fool people, that he was one of them, because of a stupid truck.

Posted by: Redebbm | Sep 22, 2011 6:03:26 PM

10. Are you all insane?

I gotta ask.

Its the taxes *I* pay as a small business owner, and as a private citizen, that funds the roads, the police, the army, and so on. I pay for this now. Right now.

And you don’t think I built my damn business on my own? You don’t think I am the only one who was willing to take a freakin risk on my vision? You think that society as a whole contributed to my business growing and being successful?

So, in the deepest dark of the credit crunch, where was society with the capital to back the asset purchases I needed to fulfill orders when the banks wouldn’t? The banks that are partially publicly owned, too big to fail, yet probably should?

What grew my business was the intense backbreaking labor I put into my business. The complex financial arrangements, and the risks *I* freakin took. The danger to my families well being by literally risking every stinking thing we had in order to pursue this, while this idiot and her fellow travelers were busy raping larger versions of businesses and denying their rightful owners their assets handing everything over to their buddies.

Lady, you have no business being in government. You have no business teaching. You have no clue what it takes to start, grow, run a business.

OMFG

Posted by: Lisa G | Sep 22, 2011 6:08:49 PM

11. sorry Lisa G macroeconomics called and you still don't get it. While you may think you are pay your share there are others who do not you can't take this a personally affront its not about you this is an systemic problems that is widening the gap between the rich and the poor and Warren as a professor of economics has a solid grasp on these concepts and the deceit foisted upon the american public... as an outside observer it is clear to 99% of us what the american problem is I don't know if you can filter out the talking points and see the truth being reported outside the american political bubble...Elizabeth Warren has the issue nailed all your protestations to the opposite belies your complicity, wake up.

Posted by: epic | Sep 22, 2011 9:01:31 PM

12. "President Warren" has a wonderful ring to it.

Posted by: David R. | Sep 22, 2011 9:52:23 PM

13. Hey Lisa G, do you think that you are single-handedly supporting the roads system of America? Is your tax dollars enough to cover the entire police force? How about the Army? Let me guess, the answer is a big fat NO. THAT is what is at the heart of this, the fact that you CANNOT stand alone, that social institutions are supported by millions of people. Your success is dependent on the success of other people, and you owe them part of your success as much as they owe yours. See that road that you claim your tax dollars funded? Well you contributed less than a dollar to that. Give us your paypal account and we can send it back to you, then you can stop bragging about owning the damn road.

Posted by: Dev | Sep 23, 2011 6:04:14 AM

14. Yes, Lisa, society did help and allowed you to build up your business. Society provided the physical, legal, social and economic infrastructure that enables your business to exist and thrive. If you can do it entirely on your own, try opening the same business in Somalia or say Chechnya, places with little to no government and no rule of law. Everyone in this country seems to be forgetting that without government and the complex socioeconomic system we've built we'd be living in some sort of primitive tribal barter society. Why don't people get this?

Posted by: Vlad | Sep 23, 2011 8:55:52 AM