Gay Pride | Gay Rights | Taiwan

BigGayDeal.com

50,000 March At Taiwan Gay Rights Parade

TaiwanGayPrideParade2
In Taipei, according to WashPo:

Thousands of gay rights supporters have marched through Taiwan’s capital, calling for increased tolerance and the enactment of anti-discrimination legislation.

The Saturday event is the ninth annual gay rights parade in Taipei, which has one of Asia’s most vibrant gay communities.

The parade has attracted gays from around the world, with many marchers dressing up as prom queens, zombies or sumo wrestlers.

The AFP says as many as 50,000 marchers marched:

"We have an even bigger crowd this year particularly after a number of incidents showing that discrimination against the gay community is still serious," said organiser Hiro Liu.

Among them was a much-publicised medical dispute involving five patients receiving organs from an HIV positive donor, who was homosexual, due to a hospital's mistake.

The incident led to some suggestions that homosexuals should be banned from donating blood and organs, which drew heated criticism from gay rights groups.

Gay groups were also offended when a senior politician demanded opposition presidential candidate Tsai Ing-wen to disclose her sexual orientation, as it will "affect her judgment call as a president," he said.

Comments

1. the male body is something to behold! isnt it? nice picture!

Posted by: stevenelliot | Oct 29, 2011 12:32:23 PM

2. Beautiful picture. But, "I want my rights, so I'll take off my clothes!" :) Seems counter-productive to me. I mean it's one thing at a gay pride parade, but a gay rights march? I don't really get it. But hey, to each his own. Glad they are trying.

Posted by: Cal | Oct 29, 2011 12:41:40 PM

3. oops - i didn't read the whole post - gay pride - so my bad. :) (I still don't see what running around speedos accomplishes, but have fun!)

Posted by: Cal | Oct 29, 2011 12:43:16 PM

4. @CAL...It's not so much the running around in speedos I object to. It's more that the picture from any event is ALWAYS the guys in speedos or the most flamboyant drag queen in attendance. In an event here described with 50,000 marchers you would think that a picture other than the standard underwear clad bois could be found to represent the community.

Posted by: Tim NC | Oct 29, 2011 1:04:12 PM

5. I'm with you guys, people always run the photos of the peacocks and ignore the gulls and blue jays. I'm in the camp that thinks gay acceptance will come by demonstrating how normal and average gays will be.

My real qualm here is that banning blood donations from gays is not about homophobia, it's about risk vs. reward and I don't know the Taiwan HIV levels, but the American levels are so much higher in gay males that the FDA can't justify accepting the blood. This is just a slice of reality, and the way to overcome it is by getting those HIV levels down.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 29, 2011 1:44:31 PM

6. Michael, "normal?" Really? We are normal. Perhaps, a better choice of word would be "commonplace." Fix your lexicon. Your subconscious is gurgling homophobia.

Posted by: CarlottaVonFunkenhowzer | Oct 29, 2011 5:13:27 PM

7. This parade seems more like a "look at what 6 months in the gym has done to my body" parade than a gay rights parade.

Posted by: jason | Oct 29, 2011 6:01:15 PM

8. "My real qualm here is that banning blood donations from gays is not about homophobia, it's about risk vs. reward and I don't know the Taiwan HIV levels, but the American levels are so much higher in gay males that the FDA can't justify accepting the blood."

No, it's about homophobia. Gay sex is a legitimate risk factor for the FDA to consider, but a lifetime ban on donation for anyone who has had gay sex since 1977 is unscientific and irrational.

Heterosexuals who have had sex with prostitutes only have to wait 1 year before they can donate blood. Gay or bisexual men and their partners, however, are excluded for their entire lifetime, regardless of when the sexual activity took place, whether the relationship was monogamous, or even if they test negative for HIV.

The American Medical Association supports changing the current lifetime ban to a 5-year deferral policy. The American Red Cross itself has, since 2006, called for a deferral period of 12 months, to make it consistent with the deferral period for other potentially high-risk sexual activity.

But because it's a question of federal law, the politics of homophobia interfere with the science.

Posted by: BABH | Oct 30, 2011 11:00:31 AM

9. Carlotta, we've had a miscommunication. My entire point was that gay people are normal, and once everyone else realizes that.

Babh, Thailand does not have the same federal law. I'm very open to the idea that the FDA is overly cautious and should scale back recommendations, but that's a common problem with government regulations - the regulators get in less trouble for mistakes when they skew towards overprotection.

You haven't shown that they are passing these blood restrictions because they just don't like gays. There is a strong correlation, and it wouldn't be the first time the FDA banned something that wasn't a big risk.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 31, 2011 9:33:06 AM