2012 Election | Herman Cain | Joy Behar | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Herman Cain Says Being Gay is a Choice and Wants to See the Science That Proves Otherwise: VIDEO

Cain_choice

Herman Cain, frontrunner in many of the latest GOP 2012 straw polls, was asked by Joy Behar this morning how he could think being gay is a choice when so many people are vilified for it.

Said Cain: "You show me the science that says that it's not. Could be persuaded. Right now it's my opinion against the opinion of others who feel differently. That's just a difference of opinion."

Cain went on to add that he wouldn't allow his personal opinions to get in the way of running the country, and also repeated his intention to reinstate 'DADT'.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Think Progress LGBT adds: "The American Psychological Association, the world’s largest association of psychological professionals, describes sexual orientation as 'a complex interaction of environmental, cognitive and biological factors.' There is considerable evidence to suggest that biology, 'including genetic or inborn hormonal factors,” plays a significant role in a person’s sexuality.'"

Comments

1. Ignorance has no color, no shape, no size... I guess you might say, it is, basically, nothing. Right? Then why is it that some would prefer to be nothing than to do their research and speak the TRUTH? Raising Cain is much ado about nothing!

Posted by: Steve | Oct 4, 2011 2:14:02 PM

2. So where was the obvious follow-up question? SO WHAT IF IT IS?????

Posted by: Zlick | Oct 4, 2011 2:16:06 PM

3. According to the Bible, Cain is translated to mean "of the evil one," or in some cases "from the evil one."

Therefore, a vote for this man is a vote for evil.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 4, 2011 2:48:33 PM

4. I don't understand...if it was a "choice" then The Closet wouldn't exist.

it's that simple. There would be no Closet if being gay was a choice. All gay people would be Out. That The Closet still exists in such a massive way is in fact proof that it is no choice at all.

that said, with all i know now i wouldn't choose to be straight if it was possible. i love being gay. LOVE it.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Oct 4, 2011 2:53:38 PM

5. "Show me the science!"

We've been showing you the science for decades.

You guys sh:t on science.

Posted by: BobN | Oct 4, 2011 3:06:21 PM

6. That uppity moron needs a weekend with Rick Perry to learn about discrimination. I hate him so much.

Posted by: JP | Oct 4, 2011 3:18:08 PM

7. Herman Cain is the north end of a south bound horse.

Posted by: DearComrade | Oct 4, 2011 3:26:19 PM

8. Here is my tweet to Herman and his campaign @TheHermanCain Here's your proof you jackass http://tinyurl.com/2vrvba

Posted by: Mykelb | Oct 4, 2011 3:27:17 PM

9. about as much of a choice as race

Posted by: h | Oct 4, 2011 3:39:31 PM

10. Hey Herman, do you know what's a CHOICE?

Religion.

Posted by: Shello | Oct 4, 2011 4:02:54 PM

11. "Right now it's my opinion against the opinion of others who feel differently. That's just a difference of opinion."

You have a right to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.

Posted by: Doctor Whom | Oct 4, 2011 4:14:29 PM

12. Over the years, I have discovered that whenever I meet someone who believes that homosexuality is a choice, (I try to avoid meeting anyone who thinks this, but I do travel quite a bit) there is one key question to ask. No, it isn't about religion or science or even politics. The question is simply: “Have you ever met a gay child or a gay adolescent?” The person generally pretends to entertain the question, but the answer is invariably no. I think this is no coincidence. I mean, it's one thing to think the 21 year old guy in the fishnet shirt and leather pants is making some kind of a decision, but a five year old boy who loves Barbies? Or a twelve year old boy who hates sports and loves home ec? I mean, really?? To what advantage is the choice to gender bend in kindergarten, or even junior high? You don't really get too much out of it. It's like choosing to get braces even if you don't need them. No one DOES that.

Posted by: oliver | Oct 4, 2011 4:37:45 PM

13. This man is going to create public policy opposing gay rights for the entire United States of America because he hasn't bothered to read the APA's research on homosexuality?

I won't be allowed to marry the person I love because Cain is uninformed?

Is this a joke?

Posted by: moony | Oct 4, 2011 4:47:39 PM

14. What does being gay mean? Does he mean feelings? Does he mean behavior? Please elaborate. I'm sick and tired of people using "being gay" as a catch-phrase due to their laziness.

Posted by: jason | Oct 4, 2011 5:19:10 PM

15. Here is a man who climbed the corporate ladder because of the color of his skin and thinks he earned his own way. If he were white we would never have heard of such a second-rater.

One thing he did learn during his corporate years was how to quickly adopt the prevailing thinking inside the company. Should come in handy.

Posted by: acting affirmatively | Oct 4, 2011 5:53:57 PM

16. IF being gay/homosexual is a choice, doesn't make it being a straight/heterosexual also a choice?

Choices are made consciously, were facts are unconsciously, and were it concerns sexuality it is not a choice, but simply a fact, something that some may call a birth-defect, but then, when homosexuality is a birth-defect, heterosexuality is also a birth-defect..... even when the religious fanatics (ie exclusionists) argue differently!

When individuals are excluded based upon a book that was written 3 centuries after jesus lived, then such exclusions are based on facts that have been overhauled, are outdated... as no one with a minimum amount of brains now a days believe or will argue that the earth is flat, that the sun is rotating around the earth, or that black people are rightfully enslaved.........

We, the human race, have evolved, developed, and are supposed to be enlightened, having gained knowledge!

One can make the choice to belong to a church, yes, one can make the choice to have a religion, yes, one does so with knowledge!

Posted by: Master Adrian | Oct 4, 2011 6:12:02 PM

17. this man should stick to making cardboard pizzas and stay out of things he knows nothing about. plus does he really think those white right wing bigots of the tea party would ever vote for a black man he is nuts.

Posted by: walter | Oct 4, 2011 6:39:29 PM

18. You want proof? Here's your proof.

I'm a homosexual. I did not choose to be a homosexual. I did however, choose to accept that fact about myself.

I can no more control who I'm attracted to any more than you can control who your attracted to. It's just something one comes to recognize about ones self over time. I can control my response to that attraction, but I can't prevent it. And even if I could prevent it, why would I want to. It's a beautiful thing.

So right back at you Mr. Cain.

Where in the hell is YOUR proof, that it is a choice?

I prefer to trust my own judgement, and millions of others like me, on this one.

Posted by: mytwocents | Oct 4, 2011 6:48:38 PM

19. Wow ... I get SO TIRED of this question, whether sexuality is a choice. Because neither a YES nor a NO answer justifies the tyranny of the masses we are subjected to daily. Consider the possibilities ...

If NO, sexuality is NOT a choice ... y'all conservatives should maybe mind your own business and let us live our lives in peace.

If YES, sexuality IS a choice ... exactly WHOSE CHOICE do you think it should be? Does Herman Cain have the balls (or ignorance) to think HE should be entitled to make that choice for me or for anyone (other than himself)? Y'all conservatives should maybe mind your own business and let us live our lives in peace.

Posted by: SearchCz | Oct 4, 2011 7:03:14 PM

20. Ugh... thank goodness this black guy is a Republican, he is in the right party!

Posted by: NY2.0 | Oct 4, 2011 9:14:13 PM

21. This idiot will never get the nomination any way.

Posted by: jaragon | Oct 4, 2011 9:17:13 PM

22. Cain is on the other side of street now. 60 years ago he had to walk on the black side of the street. Now he has the side of street where gays aren't suppose to walk. It feels so goooood to have someone to kick down. He and his ilk are Uncle Toms.

Posted by: hank kelly | Oct 4, 2011 10:07:12 PM

23. It is terribly important that homosexuality be painted as a choice since God is known to be just. If it were otherwise than a choice, God's eternal damnation would be unjust. This is the sort of pathetic rationale required when argued from authority invented in your head.

Posted by: Ralph | Oct 4, 2011 10:53:04 PM

24. All these people that keep saying that homosexuality is a choice just need to answering one question..and that is When did they decide to become straight? and that will be the end of the interview...no need for science to prove or disprove anything.

Posted by: Nathan | Oct 5, 2011 12:17:28 AM

25. Why do the women from The View have to speak all at the same time? Joy B asked the question but then it was diverted when all the other women started addressing him with "indirect" questions about being gay a choice or not. Aagggh!

Posted by: Chris in Irvine | Oct 5, 2011 9:40:23 AM