Brandon Flowers | Mormon | News

Brandon Flowers Touts Membership in the Mormon Church: VIDEO

Flowers

Killers frontman Brandon Flowers, who has said that many of his heroes are gay men but whose positions on gay rights have never (at least not recently, to my knowledge) been clearly expressed, has recorded a video touting his membership in the Church of Latter Day Saints. If you're gay and a fan of Flowers' music, it's hard not to feel slighty disillusioned by it.

"My name is Brandon Flowers. I'm a father. I'm a husband. And I'm a Mormon."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Can't we save our anger for the people actually fighting against us?

Mormons are complex people just like the rest of us. They don't all blindly follow their church, they don't all disapprove of homosexuality. Belief isn't something you just shake off with logic, it's a big part of you.

Some of them voted against us or donated money against our causes. They deserve our anger, but expressed through civil, persuasive conversation and attempts at changing their minds by changing their hearts. Simply dismissing them is just bad politics.

Posted by: at | Oct 18, 2011 5:06:53 PM

2. I still like him. Some gays are so sensitive. Grow up. Until he says something antigay leave this cutie alone!

He once walked in a gay pride parade in Vegas.

Posted by: Dan | Oct 18, 2011 5:44:24 PM

3. A singer says "I'm a Mormon," and the liberal bigotry is unleashed:

- “bigoted moronic cultists” (Ohplease)
    - “2nd world war … collaborators” (bandanajack)
    - “part of a cult” and “bigots” (JD)
    - “WILTED” (Gregoire)
    - “ignorant tool” (Matthew)
    - “institutionalized insanity” (Thunderboltfan)
    - “a cult” (WTF)
    - “M,O,R,O and N” (Ludovico)
    - “bigoted hateful” (ClubDJ)
    - “several wives” (DMS)
    - “he's mentally ill” (Marcus Bachmann)
    - “whatever cause of bigotry their "prophet" demands of them” (Ryan)
    - “moron” (Chris)

That's disgusting. WTF did he say about gays?!

Posted by: Max | Oct 18, 2011 6:08:09 PM

4. When people say they are religious, they need to explain their position on gays for simple reason that there aren't any religions (Western or otherwise) that really support equality (except the Satanists, bless their souls).

Gaga has met this standard.. Public campaigns for equality, against DADT, against bullying, creating a male persona with the explicit goal of talking about trans issues, etc. etc.

Posted by: Karl | Oct 18, 2011 6:15:56 PM

5. "My name is Brandon Flowers. I'm a father. I'm a husband. And I'm a Mormon."

Group responds "Hello Brandon"

Now tell us how the 12-steps are helping you to overcome your mormonism...

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Oct 18, 2011 6:31:04 PM

6. I've never heard, until now, of "Killers" or Brandon Flowers. I must wonder how or why a Mormon/Christian could, in good conscience, name a band "Killers." What about the Commandment, "Thou shalt not kill?" Seriously, what's up with the name "Killers"?

Posted by: matthew | Oct 18, 2011 6:40:48 PM

7. Karl, have you never heard of Judaism? Support for same-sex marriage among Jews was at 76% last year, by far the highest of all religions polled. Only Atheist/Agnostic support is higher at 80%.

Source: http://pewforum.org/Gay-Marriage-and-Homosexuality/Support-For-Same-Sex-Marriage-Edges-Upward.aspx

Posted by: Max | Oct 18, 2011 6:43:15 PM

8. Personally, I think all churches are cults. But the Mormon cult in particular is the one that spent $40 million to push the antigay Prop 8 referendum in California. So, yeah, I'm a little hostile.

How about this: Your cult wants to be overtly political? Great! You can start paying taxes.

Meanwhile, Flowers, considering your style of music and the audience whose money you're taking, you really need to clarify what you stand for. Bet your bandmates are happy about this...

Posted by: Rehab | Oct 18, 2011 6:55:42 PM

9. Check out Pew polls on lay Catholic support of GLBT rights and gay marriage.

There is church dogma, and there is what people believe.

People are awfully complex critters.

Posted by: Rin | Oct 18, 2011 7:24:21 PM

10. @Silus Grok
    "...I'm willing to cut my church some slack"

That's actually the problem. If Mormons tolerate anti-gay bigotry of your church - and they do - the statement 'I'm a Mormon' means 'I'm anti-gay'. It's that simple.

Posted by: Eugene | Oct 18, 2011 7:34:20 PM

11. Really AT, belief if something you don't just shake off with logic? I did that and know many, many others who also have. Why are you so weak?

Posted by: MikeyDallas | Oct 18, 2011 7:44:01 PM

12. Rehab, are you "a little hostile" to the 70% of African-Americans who voted for Prop 8?

Lol... of course not.

Posted by: Max | Oct 18, 2011 7:53:39 PM

13. @SILUSGROK thanks for stating your opinion. I have no problem with Brandon Flowers as a person. I may believe differently than him but I have found Mormons to be more rational in discussions about things than some evangelical Christians. They also have great work ethic and human values. Will we ever change all faiths to accept homosexuality? Probably not. But to trash an individual because of his faith in a church is really just like what we see from some evangelicals. I guess as long as we have the haters in both camps we'll never get to reconciliation.

Posted by: RBearSAT | Oct 18, 2011 7:54:23 PM

14. @Max

African-Americans should be viewed as individuals because they don't share an ideology and their race has nothing to do with anti-gay beliefs. On the other hand, Mormons willingly support an anti-gay organization, so it's totally ridiculous to compare them to African Americans.

Posted by: Eugene | Oct 18, 2011 8:04:51 PM

15. One of my best friends is Mormon. He is young, he's bright, he's atriculate, he's handsome, and he's openly gay, and he's Mormon, and he lives in Calfornia. He goes to church every week and he teaches Sunday school to youngsters. His faith is important to him, as is the idea that he feels he can be a positive aspect in teaching the new generation as they grow up. Who cares what the older, elders do/think....they are on the way out. The only way to change is to bring the next generations up correctly.

Posted by: Rolph | Oct 18, 2011 8:06:06 PM

16. @Rolph
    "He goes to church every week and he teaches Sunday school to youngsters."

Do the youngsters know he's openly gay? How about the people in the church?

Posted by: Eugene | Oct 18, 2011 8:17:05 PM

17. I don't understand why everyone's making a big deal about this. He has said nothing homophobic in this video or in the past. It's now new that he is a Mormon. I'm out and gay, hating the Mormons was so 2008. I'm not even Christian, but to me Mormon, Baptist, Catholics, Methodist, ect ect all denounce homosexuality, but I don't see anyone hampering on individuals who believe in those faiths just over there stance on homosexuality. Sure I think Mormonism is little phony, but not anymore phony then Catholicism. Everyone should respect ones Faith whether you believe it or not.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 18, 2011 8:21:45 PM

18. @Francis

Anti-gay faith deserves no respect.

Posted by: Eugene | Oct 18, 2011 8:38:18 PM

19. "I assume what "we" want is for the Mormon church to accept gays..."

You know what happens when you "assume".

I want the mormon cultists wiped from the face of the Earth by having the idiots who believe this 19th Century con man's moronic story all to wake up to reality and to have them not indoctrinate one more person into their cult.

I want all the evil they do -- and they do no good whatsoever, since everything they do is in support of their evil -- gone forever.

I want this corporate con game of a cult to cease to exist. I want all their ridiculous fantasies about ruling planets in the "afterlife" and the power of magic underwear to disappear into history, as have so many other myths, cults and con games before them. And the sooner, the better.

And if you don't like my attitude, then keep your fantasies -- and your bigotry or your enthusiastic support of bigotry -- to yourself. Religion is supposed to be a private matter. I will happily not discuss it if everyone else won't, either. In fact, I'd enthusiastically support that arrangement!

Posted by: ohplease | Oct 18, 2011 8:40:38 PM

20. No Mormon will ever willing receive one cent of my money. I study entertainment, hotels, airlines, manufacturers, etc to ferret out Mormon money. The Mormons are a cult that use their billions to do in gays and lesbians. They are a disgusting church who have practiced secret rituals for decades and have brainwashed their members. I want nothing to do with them and anyone who belongs to this religion. They have spewed their hate and racist practices long enough in this country.

Posted by: Stephen Pickard | Oct 18, 2011 9:31:36 PM

21. As a gay man, your comments make me sad. Brandon Flowers is an individual, and shouldn't be type-casted because of his religious beliefs. It's just like when people make an assumptions about a gay person because he is gay. When will we learn?

Posted by: Jimmy Mason | Oct 18, 2011 9:44:25 PM

22. @Jimmy Mason

Brandon Flowers is an individual that supports an anti-gay organization. If it was "I'm a father. I'm a husband. And I'm a KKK member" would you still refuse to "type-cast" him?

Quite a few gay men need to regain a sense of self-respect.

Posted by: Eugene | Oct 18, 2011 10:01:45 PM

23. @ Silus Grok-- you identitfy yourself as Out, Gay and Mormon. Two out of three ain't bad; it is the third one I have issues with. I am Out, Gay and a Recovering Mormon. I am a returned missionary, a former seminary teacher, BYU graduate and tow-the-line believer for the better part of thirty+ tortured years. In my twenties I went through a prescription drug-prescribed "change therapy" by LDS Social Services. I was brain washed with "repairative therapy" techniques. After finally seeing clearly enough to leave the cult-- it took the better part of ten years to get my life back.... The fact that Brandon Flowers is contributing to this desperate PR offensive by the LDS church is sad, pitiful and depressing. My hope is that it backfires. Silus , you said the "church is wrestling with its understanding of homosexuality"... If by "wrestling" you mean spending millions of dollars to take away my right to marry here in California.. if by "wrestling" you mean the daily contribution to the endless gay suicides within the church... if by "wrestling" you mean the ridiculously homophobic comments by church "leader" Boyd K Packer... I could go on and on.. They are not "wrestling" at all Silus-- they are RESPONSIBLE for erasing the line between church and state and spending millions to abolish civil rights... they are RESPONSIBLE for the tragic suicides in the church.. they are RESPONSIBLE for hate speech that only leads to more homophobia and more tragedy. To put it quite simply: they have blood on their hands. But you go ahead and be your proud, out, gay Mormon self..... enjoy that and sleep well tonight.

Posted by: iawl | Oct 18, 2011 10:09:43 PM

24. Can't beleive some of these comments. Not all Mormons are anti gay. Until he actually says something that's anti gay he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Yeah, I know Mormons supported Prop 8, but so did the Catholic church, do we condemn all Catholics? Don't sink to the level of the bigots.

Posted by: Ken | Oct 18, 2011 10:42:30 PM