Brandon Flowers | Mormon | News

BigGayDeal.com

Brandon Flowers Touts Membership in the Mormon Church: VIDEO

Flowers

Killers frontman Brandon Flowers, who has said that many of his heroes are gay men but whose positions on gay rights have never (at least not recently, to my knowledge) been clearly expressed, has recorded a video touting his membership in the Church of Latter Day Saints. If you're gay and a fan of Flowers' music, it's hard not to feel slighty disillusioned by it.

"My name is Brandon Flowers. I'm a father. I'm a husband. And I'm a Mormon."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "African-Americans should be viewed as individuals because they don't share an ideology..."

Eugene, The African-American vote was 95% for Obama. No other demographic even came close to that much uniformity.

If the liberal bigots on this board are going to bash Mormons for Prop 8, then it's only fair to examine the unusually high black voter turnout as well.

"for the first time, black women turned out at a higher rate than any other racial, ethnic and gender group."

Posted by: Max | Oct 18, 2011 11:38:08 PM

2. That is so so so unfortunate..... Yeah... just was thinking about what I wrote and Yes ... UNFORTUNATE .... is the perfect word... oh yeah and BUMMER... heavy sigh!

Posted by: Vasili Scandalis | Oct 19, 2011 12:29:46 AM

3. Mormons either have bad judgement or bad character. They have bad judgement if they believe the crap that church teaches. They have bad character if they don't believe it, but rather than standing up and saying so, go along with it for the sake of family and friends.

I have a few Killers songs on my ipod. I think I'll be deleting them.

Full disclousure: I've read the Book of Mormon cover to cover.

Posted by: joad | Oct 19, 2011 1:05:45 AM

4. The only Mormons (or Catholics, or Scientologists or ... ) I like are those who've escaped the cult.

Flowers has always struck me as a Grade A putz, still does.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 19, 2011 1:54:17 AM

5. CASSANDRA:

You might want to study the subject before making such uneducated comments. Atheism relies ONLY on science and logic to view the world, without any supernatural influence. The reason you feel vilified is because you are wilfully ignorant, and proud of your ignorance. People like you ARE the reason religions are being criticized all the time. I'm not an atheist, but I would certainly pick their side of the debate against people like you. At least they study things before they speak about it.

Posted by: Dev | Oct 19, 2011 3:55:16 AM

6. Whatever, I never liked the Killers sappy lyrics or their predictable John Tesh like music. Does this mean they are going away now, finally?

Posted by: contragenic | Oct 19, 2011 4:19:24 AM

7. I still find this 'career move' puzzling.

What is the point?

I would find it just as distasteful if a celebrity came out in a 'I'm Catholic/etc' puff piece.

As a spokesman for the Mormon church, how does Brandon defend the church's teachings on gay and lesbians?

Yes, if you appear in a glossy, massive-budget ad campaign for an organization, you are a spokesperson. You can't have it both ways - you either are or you aren't shilling for it. You can't attempt to use your celebrity to sway the public but pretend it's a 'private' matter when questions are asked.

SMH

Posted by: John | Oct 19, 2011 5:57:58 AM

8. I don't care what church you belong to, if you start proselytizing your beliefs in my face you are dead to me.

Posted by: ynot | Oct 19, 2011 7:35:53 AM

9. So utterly Mormon...posting videos of how cool they now are, but "moderating" all comments, not even allowing a gentle plea for more understanding towards gays to post on YouTube.

Posted by: Bob Greenpoint | Oct 19, 2011 7:44:14 AM

10. I dont believe he is anti-gay at all, but promoting the church in this way is very misguided. I know a few catholics who wouldnt dream of promoting the church in its current state. I thought Flowers would be similar given his generally liberal stance.

Posted by: rovex | Oct 19, 2011 7:55:08 AM

11. So what, who cares?

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 19, 2011 7:59:41 AM

12. So long as he isn't personally working against my rights, can someone tell me why I should care? The church may work to articulate against me and my rights but then upwards of 90% of all religions do. If you want to shun him go ahead. But I'd suggest you start looking in your own community for parallels to these religions in that case. You may not like everything you see there either and then what are you going to do; shun everyone who is gay?

Posted by: Marc C | Oct 19, 2011 8:55:59 AM

13. He just wiped out his fan base.

Posted by: Alec Sarkas | Oct 19, 2011 9:21:38 AM

14. How are Mormons any more homophobic than many Catholics or other Christians?

Aren't Catholic leaders calling for anti-gay marriage amendments? What about catholic adoption agencies in Illinois who refuse to work with gay couples?

Why pretend that bigots don't come in all stripes? Is the LDS Church that more homophobic than most other religious sects?

As for Romney and his dealing with anti-Mormon bigotry, well no duh that would happen. It's ironic but most Evangelical Christians don't consider Mormons Christian because of major theological differences. Mormons believe God, Jesus, and Satan came from the planet Kobol. They don't believe in the Holy Trinity. Etc. The fact that Mormons convert the dead to their religion rolls is offensive to many .

Hopefully, Mormons who feel the sting of bigotry might develop more empathy for others who suffer oppression.

Posted by: Christopher | Oct 19, 2011 9:33:18 AM

15. Max as a black person who is anti religion and also not African American I find your statements insane.

You white AND black americans need to travel the world a little.

Oh and Max, can you find the percentage of white people who turned up to vote for Bush please? Or any republican leader?

And please tell me as a black person why I should vote republican? A party that doesn't believe in affirmative action, doesn't believe in discriminatory laws..believes in big business that hires poor darker immigrants to work for cheap whilst always employing their lili white friends, cousins and family to all the top white collar jobs...

Because seriously I'd like to know.

Re Brandon Flowers, why are you all shocked? He has always been honest about being a Mormon. Plus Andy you said it in your post, the dude has never publicly supports gays despite the fact he steals so much creatively from them. Surely that should have run a bell in your mind?

Posted by: Rowan | Oct 19, 2011 9:50:53 AM

16. What fan base? It has been shrinking since 2004, with each subsequent Killers album, reaching a new low when his solo album flopped late last year.

He's an arrogant boy, no doubt about it. Read his interviews, especially those pertaining to his waning success.

Posted by: John | Oct 19, 2011 12:26:22 PM

17. A party that doesn't believe in affirmative action,
    *****

I wish the Republicans took a principled stand and came out against the only remaining vestige of institutional racism: affirmative action. Instead, the GOP chooses not to offend racists who discriminate people based on the color of their skin, i.e., beneficiaries and supporters of affirmative action.

Posted by: AG | Oct 19, 2011 12:33:36 PM

18. I can't stop laughing over all of this.
    I never trusted the guy. He was always ambiguous about his views on the mormon "church" and furthermore the way he constructed his whole pop music personae seemed less like the "straight ally" people took it to be, and more like "smarmy self hating homo who wants to get rich making cheesy synthpop". When WXPN used to play "Human" I'd turn my radio off.

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | Oct 19, 2011 2:21:26 PM

19. Max is back! Republican operative and provocateur! We're on to you Max.

Posted by: Modern Meet | Oct 19, 2011 3:20:22 PM

20. Karl, have you ever heard of the United Church of Christ? Or the Episcopalians?

Now, I wouldn't be "out" if I hadn't...well, I don't want to say too much...but I felt something while praying. So I'm certain there's something out there. Organized religions are human attempts to understand that something. And, like most human things, they get it wrong. A lot.

But when you feel the need to go on forums like this and ridicule people who believe in "sky daddies," and call other people stupid for believing in something you don't, you're engaging in hate speech. And just being asses.

When you claim that religion has done nothing good in the world, or repeat the platitude "religion should stay out of politics," you're displaying your own ignorance of American history - liberal religious people led the movement for the abolition of slavery and the civil rights movement - and of the First Amendment.

And what the gay community does not need is this sort of crap within it. Believe in what you want to, but learn to respect others, or to at least have the basic human decency to pretend to.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 20, 2011 9:57:10 AM

21. Why is it that I see more bigots and hate mongers in the gay community than I do in the community around me?

Posted by: Tevor | Oct 24, 2011 1:15:04 PM

22. What's disappointing isn't him doing this video so much, but rather his lack of speaking out in favor of equal rights for Gay Americans. If he supports same-sex marriage, then he should be speaking out in favor of it in the face of Mormon leaders. If he doesn't support same-sex marriage, then why should he get money from gay consumers when he would contribute to their oppression.

Posted by: Paul | Oct 25, 2011 1:57:00 AM

23. Does that mean I can't have him?
    Why is he the most handsome man on the planet and has to be a mormon? Damn it!

Posted by: Anne | Oct 25, 2011 7:57:59 AM

24. I think some of you guys have it wrong. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is well funded because church members are donating, and it's anything but secretive. The reason they are doing these kids of videos is because so many people have weird ideas that the members of the church are all weirdos, polygamists, satanists, gay people haters, etc...when in fact we're not. I went on an LDS mission and I heard all sorts of crazy things that people believe about us. These "I'm a mormon" videos are for them...not for people who already know. I think it's awesome that brandon is saying what he believes. Obviously he's gone through some changes in his life sense the band's earlier albums. Also...we don't hate gay people. We believe what we believe about homosexuality, but the actual people are just as important to God as anyone else.

Posted by: Food Freak Frank | Dec 2, 2011 4:21:09 PM

25. Kind of sad to hear he is still drinking the kool-aid the mormons supply, you are living a hypocritical life in your profession and likes. Come on Brandon this is 2012 not 1890. We all know what you are allowed to do and support, after all if you change the mormon church will expel you! Then you can be yourself.

Posted by: Marko | May 28, 2012 5:15:08 AM