Film | Gay Parents | News

HBO Developing 'The Kids Are All Right' as Hour-Long Series

Kids

Deadline reports that the critically-acclaimed film The Kids Are All Right is being developed as an hour-long series by HBO:

"Lisa Cholodenko, who co-wrote and directed the Focus Features release, will write the pilot script. I’m told that it will continue the adventures of the five main characters. They were the same-sex partners (played in the film by Annette Bening and Julianne Moore), their son and daughter (played by Josh Hutcherson and Mia Wasikowska) and the biological father of the kids/sperm donor who surfaces and tears the family apart (played by Mark Ruffalo in the film). Deals are still being worked out, but Cholodenko will be exec producer alongside the film’s original producers"

Comments

1. Could be interesting depending on who they cast, but will the daughter still be away at college?

Posted by: Henry Holland | Oct 14, 2011 10:00:01 AM

2. Without the original cast from the film I can't see this series being successful.

Posted by: Joshua | Oct 14, 2011 10:52:56 AM

3. @Joshua "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was hugely successful without Kristy Swanson, wasn't it?

No matter who is cast to replace the film's actors, as long as the series is as well written as the film, I believe this show will be a success.

Posted by: Keith | Oct 14, 2011 11:39:51 AM

4. Can't wait. I love that movie. Yeah & it's too bad all the actors from the movie are too much in demand to do the series.

Posted by: scar2 | Oct 14, 2011 12:57:07 PM

5. I'm guessing that gays are supposed to be excited about this because it increases representation and visibility (not to mention keeping gay creative types working), which I guess it does on its face, but the fact that yet another crossover property is being mined because people can't come up with enough interesting ORIGINAL ideas does not speak well for the entertainment industry.

Posted by: Jerry | Oct 14, 2011 1:23:33 PM

6. If they find a reasonable facsimile of Mark Ruffalo and get him naked every week, then I'm there.

Posted by: thunderboltfan | Oct 14, 2011 2:24:23 PM

7. It's always my pleasure to read this type of stuff. I am very much interested in these types of topics and it's my habit to read this. Keep it up!

Posted by: Mac Keylogger | Oct 25, 2011 10:46:29 PM