Bullying | Education | Indiana | News

BigGayDeal.com

Pennsylvania Professor Humiliates Lesbian in Class, Calls Her 'Disgusting, Unnatural, and Abnormal': VIDEO

Santiago

Christina Santiago, a student at Eberly College of Business and Information Technology at Indiana University of Pennsylvania says she was attacked and humiliated in front of her classroom because she is a lesbian.

RallyDuring a discussion that turned to homosexuality, her business professor, who has not been identified, called it "disgusting, unnatural, and abnormal" and when Santiago identified herself as a lesbian he told her that the words applied to her. The teacher continued, telling her that "God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Adam.

Santiago's instructor complained about voluntary diversity training and said that students like Santiago were forcing their sexuality on him.

An investigation is underway and students have held at least one rally in support of Santiago.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Name him. Let's go after him. To attack a student in his class like that, he should have been fired yesterday. What the hell kind of "investigation" is needed. Ask the students in the class what was said, if he said it, can his sorry ass.

Then he can blame that on the gays too. Or maybe he can blame it on being a piece of phlem.

Posted by: Bart | Oct 17, 2011 8:33:13 AM

2. Since there is another Indiana University, which is well known for acceptance of gays, I think you should change the headline to read "Pennsylvania professor at Indiana University of Pennsylvania" or something similar in order to distinguish this school. Bloomington, Indiana, the home of Indiana University, has been voted the best gay friendly small city in the US, and should not be associated with bigots elsewhere.

Posted by: CFOX | Oct 17, 2011 8:35:15 AM

3. Good on Christina for standing up to this academic bigot.

Posted by: jason | Oct 17, 2011 8:38:18 AM

4. Few things infuriate me more than educators using their position to spew their personal bigotry. If this were any other aspect of a person - religion, nationality, race, even physical appearence - this hate-filled idiot woudl be fired so quickly he might not realize it until he was filling out his unemployment forms. We need to fight for the same protection of students when sexuality is attacked in the classroom.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 17, 2011 8:44:25 AM

5. It is too bad that this teacher uses his influence on sharing his beliefs instead of getting the students to think for themselves and get enthusiastic about learning. This is a sad day.

Posted by: Professor Locs | Oct 17, 2011 8:50:27 AM

6. You know what the only unatural and unholy abomination here is the lunatic Bigot that needs to be striped of her tenure and removed from any position of authority.

Posted by: curtis | Oct 17, 2011 8:57:40 AM

7. This teacher is a hypocrite. He says he is being denied his Constitutional rights because his student is forcing her sexuality on him. But, at the same time, he is forcing his sexuality on her, which he thinks he has the right to do. Hypocrite.

Posted by: trees | Oct 17, 2011 8:58:48 AM

8. CFox beat me to it. The headline is very misleading and piles on Indiana, when (for once) the actual culprit is in Pennsylvania. A bit of trivia -- Indiana, PA is Jimmy Stewart's hometown.

Posted by: Smartypants | Oct 17, 2011 8:59:40 AM

9. Come IU Bloomington, Christina! It's very gay friendly, and it has a better business school.

PS. So her professor couldn't even get the Adam and Steve joke right? What a loser.

Posted by: Matthew | Oct 17, 2011 9:11:05 AM

10. I also believe the headline could be clearer. This happened in Pennsylvania. He will probably be declared a hero and have a Street name after him or a parade in his honor.

Posted by: Jerry | Oct 17, 2011 9:14:51 AM

11. This is the hole where I lived in from age 8 to 27. I went to school at IUP. LGB cowards denigrated me saying I was a "model" gay when I said they needed to be vocal and visible and stand up for themselves. Then they would return to their parties to swill more booze, suck d!ck and mince in their closets.

It's soooooo f'ing nice to be to be proven right. Guess I was ahead of my time because the contempt is just dripping off of me.

Posted by: Marc C | Oct 17, 2011 9:20:12 AM

12. Fundie bigotry strikes again. Seems like many of them take roles as teachers. Since they can't keep their mouths shut, I guess they will, one by one, continue exposing their homophobia, and hopefully there are consequences accordingly.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 17, 2011 9:30:27 AM

13. Listening carefully to the video, I think the professor is a woman. "Diversity training forced upon HER." She should be fired, stripped of tenure and then burnt at the stake. Enough of this free speech crap. We don't pay money to be humiliated in class. Keep your religious views in the Dark Ages, where they belong.

Posted by: Abel | Oct 17, 2011 9:36:38 AM

14. another individual who doth protest too much.

but if the person "humiliated" was identified, why not the person doing the humiliating?

Posted by: Danny | Oct 17, 2011 9:43:23 AM

15. Gee, where are all the whiners about "Freedom of Speech"?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 17, 2011 9:52:53 AM

16. i grew up in that area...and this type of homophobia does not surprise me one bit. hence why i moved away as soon as i turned 18.

Posted by: brando | Oct 17, 2011 10:07:39 AM

17. Thanks, Andy, for being on top of this.

I haven't seen this incident mentioned anywhere else in gay media.

Posted by: AG | Oct 17, 2011 10:26:14 AM

18. The cool thing about college (unlike high school) is when your prof is an a-hole you can call him on it in class. The playing field is more leveled.

I had a professor who was pure 100% evil when his wife left him and if you were female he would abuse you horribly. I got into it with him in class, he tried to mess with my grade, I took it to the department head and...voila! He got suspended and that was that.

She had the opportunity to engage his bigotry in a public forum. That is part of the educational process and probably the whole class is wiser for it. It is rare that you have the opportunity to face down your detractors in life.

Kudos to her.

Posted by: Rin | Oct 17, 2011 11:07:07 AM

19. Every time here God didn't "create Adam and Steve (or in this case another Adam)", I think... who do you think created Steve (and Adam)?

Posted by: tranquilo | Oct 17, 2011 12:05:45 PM

20. Oh look, a christian being a bigot...that almost never happens... (sigh)

Of course, anyone who alludes to Adam and Eve merely makes me point out that this meant Cain and Abel were giving their Mum an Eiffel Tower and the whole human race is based on seething incest....nice story...

Posted by: Vky | Oct 17, 2011 12:35:14 PM

21. I wish she could have stayed in that class and turned up teh heat on the professor.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Oct 17, 2011 12:49:28 PM

22. same thing happened to me in 2005 in my intro to political science class when the discussion turned to homosexuality, the professor got brash and ignorant, i stood up for myself and was verbally abused... ugh i wish i could have spoken up. but it was 2005.

Posted by: MKe | Oct 17, 2011 12:52:31 PM

23. Great job, all you Indiana-boosting commenters above. Now the headline makes it sound like it was a UPenn professor.

Posted by: BABH | Oct 17, 2011 12:53:31 PM

24. God created us ALL. This kind of ignorant sh*t needs to be put down by college administrators in no uncertain terms!

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Oct 17, 2011 1:42:27 PM

25. Amazing how, in this guy's world, SHE is the one forcing her sexuality on HIM.

Posted by: AdamA | Oct 17, 2011 2:15:57 PM