Bullying | Education | Facebook | News

Joplin, MO Teacher's Bullying Solution: 'Don't Be Gay'; Suggests 13 More Kids Need to Die for Issue to Warrant Attention

Joplin

Yet another teacher is under fire for anti-gay remarks made on Facebook.

JoplinhsJim Whitney, a teacher at Joplin High School in Missouri responded to former student Josh Gonzalez, who posted a Facebook link to a news article 15-year-old Jamie Hubley, who committed suicide after being bullied.

Said Whitney: "Moral of the story: Don't be gay."

When another commenter asked, "How many more kids have to kill themselves before everyone realizes that this is an actual issue?," Whitney responded, "11-13 ought to do it. Somewhere in that vicinity."

The comments were posted by Missourians for Marriage Equality on the group's Facebook page, where they encouraged people to contact the Joplin school board.

The Joplin Globe reports:

Whitney did not respond to requests for an interview but released a statement via email on Monday afternoon saying he was sorry the incident occurred.

“I do not condone bullying or harassment of any kind and I am very aware and saddened by the negative impact this type of behavior creates. I regret that the posts appeared on Facebook. They do not reflect my personal views and I apologize for any and all offenses caused by the comment.”

Whitney, however, did not respond to follow-up emails and telephone calls to explain how comments that do not reflect his views came from his Facebook account, nor has he been available for additional questions.

Board President Ashley Micklethwaite said the school board would likely discuss the remarks at a meeting yesterday.

Comments

1. You better say you were hacked, you big pussy. What a pathetic piece of $hit. Have the balls to own your words. Have the balls to spread hate and back it up when confronted, not some weasel making up reasons why you didn't.

I wish I had a kid in his class, he would get the lecture of LIFE from me...

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Oct 26, 2011 2:17:43 PM

2. Remember the example of Clint McCance in Arkansas. He was a piece of trash school board member who said similar things on Facebook. After public pressure, the guy was canned.

Posted by: Gregoire | Oct 26, 2011 2:39:11 PM

3. Yeah, right, his "comments" don't reflect his views? Really! Bull F*cking Sh*t! He knew what the hell he was saying and he didn't gave a rats @$$. He is just like all of the other bigots in the world...they want to keep the world just as it was back in the stone age and they all think that everybody should think like they do, no new ideas or things that are different! I guess they all want the world to be boring as hell! I hope they can his trashy a$$ and he is banned from working with the public!

Posted by: Jo | Oct 26, 2011 3:23:04 PM

4. the worst part is the cowardice. the remarks "appeared" on his fb? No asswipe, remarks don't just "appear" either you or someone with acces to your account WROTE them. Have the balls to use action verbs for things you've done.

Posted by: andy | Oct 26, 2011 4:29:10 PM

5. I'm from a suburb of Joplin, I went to a high school that is less than 10 miles from Joplin's. I have absolutely no doubts that nothing serious will be done about this teacher; his sentiments are shared by the majority in that area. It would take massive pressure for the school board to take action, and all the while it will be a show to placate the media. He'll be lauded not only by the school district (in secret), local Christian churches will go on and on about what a good soldier for Christ he is and that it's a sick sign of the times for him to be hounded like this by liberal perverts. Should he lose his job, there will be churches collecting donations to help him through this unfortunate time.

Not long ago, Joplin had a cruising spot called McLelland Park. The park is still there, but it has thankfully been cleaned up. Joplin is the type of place that sends undercover officers out to bait men engaged in cruising. Should you be busted, they print your photo and personal information about you in the paper. This happened to a young man from my graduating class, he was 20 years old at the time. I don't know what became of him after that, but I'm sure his life was ruined and he was forced to move away just like all of the others.

Another fellow student at my school, a brilliant but nerdy and eccentric young man, was forced to leave during his sophomore year due to bullying and then condemnation from the faculty. He was a theatre nerd, and loved to wear late 19th century young men's attire. The faculty actually told him that if he continued to be different they would do nothing to protect him - he was asking to be beaten bloody and deserved whatever happened. He fled to live with family on the W. Coast, thank goodness he had that chance.

I will never forget the veiled threats in school, not just from students but by teachers and faculty too. A math teacher discussed gays one day, another student asked if he thought there were any at our school. He said most likely, as about 10% of humans are gay. He shot me a menacing glance while saying that any gay students would be wise to stay invisible if they refuse to repent. I lived like a ghost in my town, even after graduation.

I will never attend my H.S. reunions. The Joplin area may put on a nice face after the F5 tornado, and pride themselves that they are such a tight community - but it's only so for good 'ol folks and church-goers. It's always been very clear that if you're not either of those you deserve a horrible life, even death. This teacher will be a hero and a martyr for speaking God's truth.

Posted by: DC | Oct 26, 2011 6:01:00 PM

6. Moral of the story: It you are a homophobic moron, don't be a teacher.

Posted by: Inis | Oct 26, 2011 7:02:17 PM

7. Case was dropped per a local radio station, I'm not surprised as I live in Joplin and it's the very definition of "good ole boy" Country in a lot of ways.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for this place as I've lived here my whole life.. especially a soft spot post tornado, but then things like this make me realize why I can't wait to get out early next year.

Portland Oregon here I come.

Posted by: Tiffany | Oct 26, 2011 11:32:14 PM

8. C'mon. Where's the PROOF this a-hole's FB account was "hacked"? But the school board bought the claim apparently, or is pretending to.

From Today: JOPLIN, Mo. — A Joplin High School math teacher who came under criticism after anti-gay posts allegedly originated from his Facebook account has been cleared by the school district.

Superintendent C.J. Huff said that Jim Whitney’s Facebook account was compromised and that there were no findings that would indicate wrongdoing by Whitney.

The board of education discussed the matter and was given a report following an investigation into the incident during a closed session at Tuesday night’s meeting.

No action is being taken against Whitney.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 27, 2011 6:17:51 PM