Kellan Lutz Won’t Mind if You Hit on Him in a Hot Tub

Kellan Lutz gives a great interview to Brandon Voss in The Advocate which reveals his comfort with gay men. Lutz talks about his roles in Twilight, The Comeback, and The Immortals.

LutzSays Lutz of The Immortals:

I love that our director, Tarsem, saw the gods as youthful. If you were a god, wouldn’t you rather be in your 20s or 30s as opposed to old and gray with a beard down to your ankles?

Check out more photos from The Immortals HERE.

Lutz also loves hugging gay fans:

Oh, they’re the best. I love them. When I meet gay fans out and about, they’re so great to talk to — and I’m big on hugging, because I’m from the Midwest. They’re just so energetic and loving. I’m proud to have those fans, and their support means a lot to me. I don’t want just girls coming to my movies; I want guys to come too.

And discusses the time one hit on him at a spa when he was naked in a hot tub:

We talked for about 15 minutes, and it clicked that he was probably hitting on me. By no means did I want to lead him on, so it was just kind of funny to me to realize that he was hitting on me — and doing a pretty good job.

2_lutzHe also describes the moment his 'gaydar' turned on:

Growing up, I could never tell who was gay. Even in high school, I had friends that I didn’t know were gay until years later. I’d find out on Facebook or something and be like, “Oh, that explains some things,” or “Wow, no wonder they were so cool.” I remember going to a buddy’s house right when I came to L.A. He was showing me his place, and I asked, “Where do you sleep?” He’s like, “Here, in this bed.” He had a roommate, so I was like, “Where does your roommate sleep?” He said, “He sleeps here too.” I was like, “Oh, OK.” I’ve slept in the same bed as my brothers, and I’ve crashed on a friend’s bed, so it did not even cross my mind that they were gay. He called me up after I left his house and said, “Kellan, you handled that so well. I haven’t told many people, so thanks for being such a good person.” Suddenly, all this stuff started clicking, and everything made sense: Some guys I thought were just friends aren’t just friends! That’s the day my gaydar finally kicked in. We’re still the best of friends to this day. Now I have some really close friends who are gay.

And says you can live out your housewife fantasies with him, if you're lucky:

I’d prefer to live with gay guys. They’re the cleanest, and they just take care of stuff. Because I’m always away, coming home to a clean house means a lot to me.

Kellan Me Softly [the advocate]

Comments

1. Gus says

It sounds like he wants a gay roommate to be the 21st century equivalent of a old fashioned gay manservant depicted in all those British upper-class Masterpiece Theater pieces on PBS.

2. Paul R says

I’m really glad to learn that he has better gaydar than I do. I live in San Francisco and guys talk to me all the time, and I’ll think What a nice straight guy!

Then later I’ll realize, Oh duh. He wasn’t straight.

3. John says

Jesus Christ folks, lighten up. No one’s suggesting this guy is some kind of hero or role model, gay or otherwise. He’s a frequently photographed, very well known personality and part of one of the most well known movie franchises currently out there (like it or not). The fact that he has adopted a silly, playful, completely open approach to the subject of the interview – in an interview with a national gay magazine – doesnt have to impress you but why in the world do you have to be so negative? Im seriously asking, why the negativity?

4. Chris says

Agree with JOHN…why the negativity?

I’ll add…why assume all gay-friendly people are gay?

To the contrary…for Kellan to say what he said, and how he said it, suggests to me how comfortable he is with his heterosexuality – he’s not threatened by homosexuality.

Why read into his remarks more than what’s there?

5. Gregv says

My thoughts exactly, John. I think some people are just professional complainers. The Internet is the easiest place to behave that way.
    Kellan Lutz sounds very open-minded and frank, and I imagine his friends all value that in him.

6. Rob says

I’ve a friend whom I’d never expect to talk gossip or trash. I was actually speaking of Immortals and he point blank said he didn’t like Lutz. I found that odd, considering he’s pretty hot. He didn’t make some accusation of sleeping with Lutz, nope. Instead, he accused Lutz of stealing his boyfriend. I found that rather surprising.

Suffice to say, I believe my friend. It’d be odd to make that kind of story up. So why am I bringing it up? Because if he is closeted, if he’s a player and a stealer then he’s just being a jerk.

7. ohplease says

“Creepy.”

Of course. What defines “creepy” better than being friendly and liking gay guys? Whenever I meet a gay guy who’s friendly and likes gay guys, the novelty of it sure as hell creeps me out.

On the other hand, I expect it from most straight guys, so, just like there are more bitter gay men than there are stars in the sky, Lutz’s attitude is no surprise at all.

8. jakeinlove says

I love it when people are just so open and honest in their thinking that we’re all just a bunch of people and we all do things differently. He seems like a great person to hang out with. No BS machismo which makes him all more machismo.

Good for you Kellan!

9. ohplease says

“It’d be odd to make that kind of story up.”

Yes, because there are no odd, crazy, attention-seeking, lying, needy gay men anywhere in the world. And you certainly never run across them on the Internet.

10. kevin says

I am originally from the Midwest and have just one thing to say: We are not huggers. We are usually friendly, pleasant and helpful to new people but, a hug from a stranger would make most of us a little uncomfortable. I still find it a little odd when I meet someone for the first time and they want to hug me.

11. Rob says

OHPLEASE,

My point was, if you were going to make up a story why not say “oh I slept with him and he’s a liar” or something of that nature.

I just don’t trust the BS of Lutz anymore.

12. Ari says

So typical of this site that comments about the sweetest, most gay friendly guy, would include “creepy”. Also being upset about him saying that gays are neat and clean is just ridiculous. How about a comment like, “what a cool guy”? I can’t believe I walk among gay people who would bash this sweetie. Makes me very sad that there are such cynical losers reading Towleroad, a site that is always cool and always strives to be positive. This needs to stop. You know who you are. This guy is doing more to change attitudes than the people who always make these negative, unwarranted comments.

13. JohninBend says

Does anybody else read this interview as Kellan testing the waters for when he finally comes out? Prefers to have gay roommates because their cleaner? Puh-lease!

14. Bryan says

Not particularly directed at him, but I’ve become soo cynical of most things in Hollywood, that sometimes it’s hard to tell who IS actually gay friendly from those people who pay gays lip service just to get that demographic on their side.

15. V-8 says

whether he is gay or not, it does not matter… but he sounds very gay when he speaks…. that is where my gaydar goes off, not when I read stuff written and attributed to him…

16. Marie says

Thank you, Chris!!

Cannot believe how one of the genuinely nicest guys in Hollywood attracts such cynics all the time. Is it because he appears to be too perfect? Too handsome; too muscular? Whatever it is people need to get over it and accept that good things do come in good packages. Rare as that may be. For me knowing how big his heart is, how much he tries to do to affect change in this often dumb, corrupt world says it all. From the environment to animals and human rights, Kellan is out there making a difference. Deal!

17. testing" ton says

Maybe he is gay and testing the waters, but maybe he does just like living with cleaner roommates. I know not all gay dudes are clean, but if we’re specifically dealing with gym jocks the gay ones are going to be less messy than the straight ones LOL

@Kevin – I totally agree, people from the Midwest are known for being polite but not physically affectionate. When I moved to the west coast from Minnesota for like months I kept getting weirded out by how close people get to your personal space.

18. Homo Genius says

Why does someone who makes a decent living off movies have/want roommates? The last interview was all about his housemates. The only adults I know who have roomates are either super BFFs or they just cant afford to make it on their own.

19. Jose says

I never thought this guy was handsome, but this just upgrades him to adorable. I take him as a big flirt, nothing wrong with that. Haters probably wanted a hater.

20. hmhm says

Also, gay people could really benefit from reading Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. Its unbelievable how interviews like this are perceived as a “step in the right direction”, “he’s on our side”, etc. In this plantation of America, there are so many Uncle Tom gays.

21. Paul R says

One of my brothers (straight) would love to live with a gay guy. He likes attention from anyone, he says straight men are pigs and he got sick of cleaning up after them (he’s a neat freak—much neater than I am, to the point where it’s borderline OCD), he’s about to get divorced, he doesn’t think a woman would want him as a roommate…It’s not that odd. Some straight men are plenty comfortable around gay men.

He used to hang out with all my gay friends and they all had big crushes on him, and he thought it was cool. And he and his girlfriend preferred going to gay bars because they said gays were more fun, she didn’t get hit on, he didn’t really either because he’s so clearly straight. It’s 2011, and most guys under, say, 45 with a bit of education and liberal views who have spent a lot of time in urban areas just don’t care. Especially if their gay brother is their best friend.

22. scott says

I have to agree with Kevin on the hugging part. I’m a midwesterner and hugging definitely was not part of our culture. Polite and friendly yes, but don’t invade the personal space. I still feel awkward when people feel compelled to hug me when greeting me!

23. Kyle says

Stop perpetuating the steretype! Not all gays are neat.

That being said, I need a gay roommate to pick up after me! :-) That’d be cheaper than hiring a maid, right?

24. Den says

Isn’t he really just saying what he thinks Advocate readers will want to hear. He would give a different interview to Sports illustrated and a different one again to a woman’s magazine. The comment about gay guys being so clean and neat is essentially harmless but patronising too.

25. AC94114 says

I will gladly live out my “housewife fantasies” for him!

For all you rude, Negative Nancies on here spewing your mean, hateful, judgmental words: aren’t you the same people repeating the “Stop The Bullying” mantra, yet you go on the internet to bully someone you don’t know (and will probably never have the honor of meeting)?!?