Madonna | Michigan | Music

BigGayDeal.com

Madonna's Brother Is A Homeless Man

500px-Madonna_en_ChelseaMadonna's older brother is living under a bridge in Traverse City, MI.

"My family turned their back on me, basically, when I was having a hard time," the 55-year-old Anthony Ciccone told The Michigan Messenger. "You think I haven’t answered this kind of question a bazillion times -- why my sister is a multibazillionarie, and I’m homeless on the street?"

Ciccone doesn't mention the nature of his "hard time," nor does he explain why he lost his job at his dad's winery last year. He does say that he suffered from frostbite during his first winter on the streets, and recounts how another homeless man, a friend, lost ten toes to the cold.

"Never say never," says Ciccone. "This could happen to anybody."

It's 47 degrees Fahrenheit in Traverse City this evening, and falling.

Comments

1. "...why my sister is a multibazillionarie, and I’m homeless on the street?"

Boo-freakin' hoo! My sister's rich, so I shouldn't have to take responsibility for my actions. So if my sister makes more than I do, does that mean when I'm behind on a bill or two, she should pay it?

This guy has 7 siblings! He must have some pretty bad issues if nobody will help him, not even his father. You can bet they all tried to help him at some point and he went back to his old ways.

You can have all the money in the world, but if the person you want to help doesn't want to get better, then there's nothing you can do for them.

All this is speculation though, we don't know the whole story.

Posted by: Morgan | Oct 23, 2011 9:56:54 AM

2. I don't care if your brother is an alcoholic or doens't get along with you! An appt in Detroit is very cheap! Madonna has turned into this cold queen and has been for a very long time! Family is family particulartly italians family members...Her Dead Mother would be so very VERY proud! Madonna is so yesterday! When was the last time she did anything for the LGBT Community?

Posted by: Josh | Oct 23, 2011 10:36:48 AM

3. Michigan is a very large state, and the distance between Traverse City and Detroit are a 5 hour drive..... the myth of the $5,000 house in Detroit is just that. you can get that property but you need to invest about $50,000 to make it livable...

I spent a week in Traverse City this summer, a beautiful place, at a $300 a night hotel, I'd say 3.5 stars.... that is not a place to live... I saw an artist studio, about 10x15 feet renting for $1200 a month, off season.... so again, not a cheap place...

for what I understand Madonna set her father up with the Winery, a beautiful but very understated property. there are probably way richer families in that area actually, than her father and maybe even her (there is tons of old money in Michigan)...

it is not her fault that her brother went down this path (I also suspect an addiction of some kind).... she is one of the middle-to-younger children of the family, why should she be responsible for them all? I am sure she helps them without telling everyone about it, as she does tons of charitable contributions to a million causes in silence as well (unlike other celebrities)....

people need to be responsible for themselves, even addicts, even the siblings of the rich... nobody owes anyone anything, including Madonna to her family and us (the public)...

Posted by: V-8 | Oct 23, 2011 10:55:52 AM

4. on the second paragraph I meant to write "that is not a cheap place to live" referring to Traverse City... it is a gorgeous resort town, a touristy place, with expensive stuff...

Posted by: V-8 | Oct 23, 2011 10:57:21 AM

5. …”Intensely selfish people are always very decided as to what they wish. They do not waste their energies in considering the good of others.”

— Ouida, ‘Wanda’

Posted by: Eddie | Oct 23, 2011 11:37:54 AM

6. Really? People are actually feeling sorry for this guy? Look - the guy is homeless for a reason. Madonna would be an enabler if she "set her brother up". Any professional psychologist would tell you that this is about him having to hit "rock bottom" before he decided to change and not one bit of that has anything to do with his sister. Madonna could give him every penny she had and the guy would piss it away and ask for more.

Posted by: Tre | Oct 23, 2011 11:45:58 AM

7. Sorry but with her money there is absolutely no excuse for this. Setting him up in an apartment would be the least she could do.

Posted by: fern | Oct 23, 2011 11:54:12 AM

8. My brothers partner lives in San Fran and is supported by his parents for the last 20 years because of mental issues and just plain being lazy. They still work in their 80's because of him and he thinks it is great. We have the money to help, but then we would be on the hook for the next 40 years. No amount of convincing his folks that they need to let him go homeless will help, but when they are gone, he will be in big trouble. And no, I don't feel guilty. He won't help himself

Posted by: Mikey | Oct 23, 2011 12:20:07 PM

9. Wow --- what scum bags read and post on this blog.

If you are a MULTI-MILLIONARE - in a time when you can buy a condo in South Florida for $60K ... you best be buying your homeless brother a home or you are scum in the eyes of most people.

Oh there will be other scum who will defend you and say "law of the jungle" not her responsibility ... but honestly they only shame themselves.... if it is drugs or mental illness even more reason to be there for him.

Posted by: rjp3 | Oct 23, 2011 12:55:34 PM

10. Obviously there are posters here that have never had the opportunity to assist an addicted family member. We have, with new cars, clothes, rent and living allowance..... Car totaled, allowance and furnishings sold for booze and smokes. Now in his thirties and hasn't EVER held a job....oh and we paid for three schools. We decided tough love was the only thing we hadn't tried.....but he is milking other family members now! Very sad, but until he decides to change nothing else is going to work. Not a Madonna fan, but can't fault her on this one.

Posted by: Major707 | Oct 23, 2011 1:54:57 PM

11. My first instinct (as a recovering alcoholic and drug addict myself) is that Madge has probably tried to help and has probably sent him to the best rehabs that money could buy but if he's not ready, then Madge would not be doing him a favor by even renting out a small apartment to him.

I am sure there is far more to the story than this.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Oct 23, 2011 2:03:15 PM

12. he has to be able to help himself first. but it doesnt sound like he wants help.

Posted by: KEVIN | Oct 24, 2011 10:10:35 AM

13. he sent her hydrangeas for Christmas one year and bitc h cut him OFF

Posted by: Christopher | Oct 24, 2011 11:38:16 AM

14. I have been a Madonna Fan for the past thirty years,and as most have posted,we are not getting the full story here.I know Madonna can be a hard ass,but as her brother christopher's Book show's,you can only help so much.I do not condone letting a relative be on the streets,as I ave been in this situation myself, but Madonna's brother has to take steps to help himself as well.

Posted by: christian clouser | Oct 24, 2011 12:46:50 PM

15. This is really a private matter. How is this news? Designed to embarrass Madonna and/or her siblings? So we are supposed to get judgmental here about something that is strictly personal? Shame on the media for even reporting this story. The media obviously lack standards.

Posted by: Tony | Oct 24, 2011 1:23:51 PM

16. Martin is the brother from "Truth Or Dare," not Anthony.

For all we know, Madonna has offered to help Anthony in the past, and he's continued to drink. Enabling someone who refuses to change their behavior does nothing. If Madonna's father fired Anthony, there's obviously something wrong—with Anthony. Fixing her brother isn't Madonna's problem, nor would it work.

Posted by: David | Oct 24, 2011 3:00:33 PM

17. anybody remember when her other brother tried to launch a rap career?

Posted by: ricky | Oct 24, 2011 7:03:12 PM