Meet Glee’s New Promiscuous Gay Warbler

Gustin

Back in September there were rumblings that newcomer Grant Gustin was set to break into the Glee gay scene and cause trouble for a certain couple — a 'promiscuous villain' was how he was described.

Gustin talks to Billboard magazine about his first TV role:

"Sebastian is new to Dalton. He's a gay character, obviously, but he's kind of a new type of gay character. He's someone you wouldn't necessarily know is gay unless you asked him, but he'd be the first person to tell you. He's very confident and comfortable with who he is and what he wants. Darren (Criss) was that new confident strong gay character, and Sebastian is taking that a step further. He's a guys-guy, just a dude who happens to be gay. He's a lacrosse player, he's popular. He's after Blaine, obviously, and he's also trying to take the place that Blaine had as the leader of the Warblers. He's been referred to as a villain, which I guess is true in the sense that he's going to get what he wants and he doesn't care who he steps on along the way, but he does so with a smile on his face.."

'Glee' Villain Grant Gustin Is Feeling Lucky [billboard] More here.

Comments

1. topher says

Isn’t hiring a guy as good looking as him kind of like against the whole concept of Glee?
    I mean, I thought it was a show to bring sort of acceptance and love and a sense of hope to hordes of misfit teens?
    And in doing so, shouldn’t looks be of no consequence? It’s like, we have to be tall and thin and good-looking, rich, smart, etc. How many kids are like that? A handful. And the rest of them? How the hell are they going to get hope from a show like this if the reality it presents is completely fictitious?
    Also, I’m stoned.

2. says

“He’s someone you wouldn’t necessarily know is gay unless you asked him,..”

Who’s he saying YOU to? Not me. Not most queer people I know. Family can spot Family. Who can’t tell a person is gay? Straight people? Who cares? This is like “the secret of The Crying Game” – it was only a “secret” to Straights and non-savvy gays – every queer audience that saw the film knew right away what the bloody “secret” was.

family can spot family. i’m sorta over gay people assuming that what passes for “visibly gay” only counts if you fool straight people.

fooling straight people is like tip-toeing around the blind in or to avoid detection – it’s not noble, anyone can do it if they want to badly enough, but there are few (if any) justified reasons for doing so.

3. says

Not impressed by the actor nor the direction the show is going. Why not leave Kurt and Blaine alone? Let them be the one couple who falls in love with each other and goes on with college or show biz with marriage and a happy life? All of us went to high school and we KNOW those couples – who are married today with three kids and entire content.

I love the music of the show but I love the romance between Blaine and Kurt more than anything else and its the reason I tune in. Destroy that and there’s little reason to watch.

BTW, anyone see Fox’s new “Allen Gregory” animated gay show? Two married guys with a 7 year old precocious home schooled boy and an adopted Korean (? – Asian) sarcastic daughter. Not a gay actor in the bunch and the lack of real gay writing shows. Too bad because the show is a fail.

Congrats to Mario Cantone for tying the knot with his 20yr partner Jerry Dixon. It is never too late to marry “a good man” quips Mario. Best wishes to them both.

4. MateoM says

“It was a glimpse into the darkest corners of writer-director Ryan Murphy’s secret self-loathing self, and I just felt his GAY SHAME. Yuck. It’s like all his gay characters are either flaming martyrs (KURT HUMMEL), violent closet-cases (KAROFSKY) and now bitchy power bottoms. ENOUGH WITH THE GAY CLICHÉS! Either do us a solid and make multi-dimensional characters, or stop writing them altogether.”

Yet another gay character who’s self-loathing, but also a villain. We’re regressing back to the times when gays in movies were killed off because they were tragic figures. All of the gays on Glee are horrible role models for young gay youth. Yes, even Blaine.

5. Zlick says

As to why not leave Kurt and Blaine alone? – because it’s the well-known death of any drama to have a couple be peacefully happy together for more than 2 episodes. In TV, all that counts is the courtship. Ratings evidence has shown time and again that once the courtship results in a happy relationship, the audience yawns and hits the remote.

As for this guy being good-looking in a show designed for misfits, what Glee have *you* been watching? There’s been good-looking guys since Season 2 at least (and earlier if you consider some of the guys hot that I personally do not).

Glee may have a sub-current of some very powerful progressive messaging, but that does not mean it must sacrifice the rather corny drama that happens momentarily between musical numbers. So yeah, high school “villains,” gay and straight, couples getting together and breaking up, blah, blah, blah. People who take TV seriously crack me up, and people who take Glee seriously make me roll my eyes right out of my head.

6. my2cents says

power bottom? surely, this character deserves to be ‘cast’ in the likeness of Barrett Long…

7. Clif3012 says

“To quote James St. James, about the gay characters Ryan Murphy has put foward on his shows:”

Well yes. The first half of season 1 was quirky and witty and cute but it became tiresome pretty quickly when it became an examination of how Ryan Murphy had wished his teenage life had been. I lost interest when Saint Kurt was presented as a hero for trying to sexually harass a straight boy who was going through a pretty traumatic experience of his own.

8. Paul R says

@Little Kiwi: not necessarily. I have a horribly defective gaydar, and I live in San Francisco. So many straight men here seem gay, and vice versa.

As for his looks, he attends a prestigious, pricey private school. He’s outside Glee’s supposed agenda.

But it should be admitted that having four gay male characters and 1.5 lesbians on a high school show (even though most of the actors are MUCH older) is slightly remarkable. Though I still can’t stand 98% of the show’s musical numbers.

9. gr8guyca says

@mateom: And what cliche does Blaine (Darren Criss) fall into?
    What’s refreshing about the character is that he doesn’t fit any standard type of guy. And Darren Criss had helped that by being charming and open about his own sexuality.

Glee and most TV shows are filled with stereotypes. That there are so many gay characters in the media – after years of complete invisibility – is reason enough to be pleased.

10. Contrarian says

This actor is supposed to be a high schooler? At least Sal Mineo and Natalie Wood looked like kids in “Rebel” way back when. James Dean not so much. Who, over 50 watches this fluff anyway?

11. BobN says

“He’s someone you wouldn’t necessarily know is gay”

I’m guessing his agent told him that.

As for why, oh, WHY!?!??!

Because it’s TV.

12. TANK says

These comments are a sad and pathetic assortment of jealous snipes from some sad and pathetic people. Yeah, yeah, you guys can knock this tall preppy pretty boy all you want, but any one of you would bang him till the cows came home if given half a chance. Hey, I’m just trying to keep the discussion around here real… so I’ll be waiting for the catty responses to start pouring in, LOL.

13. Southern Comfort says

Glee isn’t made for the over 50 set. There’s no need for it to be, when there are three whole networks who provide programming targeted specifically for them.

PBS, CBS and Fox News.

14. jason says

I’m glad there’s a gay villain for a change. I was getting sick of all the saccharine, sugar-sweet, syrup-dripping, soppy-twinky gay guys that have become the norm in recent years.

Give me a gay villain – I’m loving it.

15. Married in MA says

I am over 50 and I LOVE the show. You see, growing up, we had nothing like this! Anyway, a gay love triangle? I am so there.

16. deanP says

Ryan Murphy should be ashamed. With the sad bitchy depiction of the gay couple on American Horror Story and now this Glee addition, he’s continued to show his lack of imagination and crass sensibility. What a lame ass jerk.

17. Craig says

@Little Kiwi/Paul R. – Paul you got it right, unless the guy is RuPaul-like, I have very little gaydar ability. Worse, I’m stealth. I’ve had guys in gay bars asking me why I’m there. I am out and honest and never try to “fake” straight but at the same time I am who I am.

18. Hollywood, CA says

I agree with AT & BILLY, does he HAVE to be white? They kicked the one black guy off the show, and you can’t tell me that Mercedes role hasn’t been diminished every week and she’s got the strongest voice.

Let me say that, again: The show is about a glee club and the black girl with the STRONGEST voice has the lamest role!

If you add any more characters, please add some color.

19. Lloyd says

None of the couples on the show are perfect, nor should they be. That’s nice, but ultimately boring.

I think a homosexual villain is great for the show – to show that gay people come in all personalities, and they all aren’t friendly Magical Queers. But that’s if they go somewhere with this guy.

I, too, have to wonder who or what isn’t a self-hating homosexual at this moment. The term keeps getting bandied about.