Nature | News

BigGayDeal.com

Mt. Rainier's Sunrise Shadow: PHOTO

Rainier

Here are a set of photos that make me wish I lived near Mt Rainier this time of year, when it casts a shadow on the sky:

"It only happens when the sun rises farther to the south as we head toward the winter solstice and has to be in the exact position to where Rainier blocks the first rays of morning light."

Comments

1. The eye of Sauron is upon us!

Posted by: endo | Oct 28, 2011 12:30:16 PM

2. The mountain's out, I'm calling in sick to work.

(which means, to non-locals, it's not misty and gray where you can't see more than a half mile in any direction...and going to be a nice day!)

Posted by: Brian | Oct 28, 2011 12:34:07 PM

3. I live here and when you know this kind of view is out there (and it's everywhere around me in a region that's all virtually a national park) it's like money in the bank, they gray and the rain are just an interlude of contrast.

Posted by: uffda | Oct 28, 2011 12:53:06 PM

4. I do live near Mt. Rainier and appreciate you posting the photos; sometimes even the locals missing seeing the "mountain" given daily life. We have many Towelroad fans out here in Seattle, so there are plenty of friendly faces to hang with when you can visit the Evergreen state.

Posted by: Atl2Sea | Oct 28, 2011 1:27:20 PM

5. There is nothing more spectacular than a day whe "the mountain is out".

Posted by: SammySeattle | Oct 28, 2011 1:32:18 PM

6. Hello new wallpaper!!!

Posted by: Jay M | Oct 28, 2011 2:05:47 PM

7. This makes me very, very homesick for Seattle. Beautiful.

Posted by: justinw | Oct 28, 2011 2:12:12 PM

8. Tacoma guy here, I'm lucky and can look out my backdoor and see Mt Rainier, its a sight I never grow tired of.

Posted by: Akula | Oct 28, 2011 2:26:13 PM

9. Pretty, but I'm not buying the solstice explanation. A mountain is going to cast a shadow on the clouds any morning there's cloud cover to the west and clear sky to the east. And the reverse is true at sunset. All year 'round. The shadow's bearing will shift with the sunrise/set's apparent position on the horizon, though.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Oct 28, 2011 2:32:49 PM

10. If you're traveling from Spokane to Seattle in the pre-dawn light, Mt. Rainier will appear pink in the darken sky.

Posted by: barney | Oct 28, 2011 2:48:13 PM