James Forrester | News | North Carolina

NC Senator James Forrester, Who Sponsored State's Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment, Hospitalized in Grave Condition

UPDATE: Forrester has died.

North Carolina state senator James Forrester, the lead sponsor of the state's successful bill to constitutionally ban same-sex marriage who made headlines in September when he told a town hall that gay people die early and should adopt a "normal lifestyle," has been hospitalized, apparently in grave condition, WRAL reports:

Forrester"Sen. Forrester is in ICU, and the family has been called in," Forrester's sister-in-law, Sally Beach, said by phone Monday morning. "They're scattered all over the place. They're trying to gather."

She did not say what was wrong with the senator, adding that her statement was all she could offer at the time.

A Denver, N.C., newspaper reported Monday that Forrester, 74, was reportedly on life support after being admitted to a Gastonia hospital on Sunday for cranial bleeding.

His office at the General Assembly could not confirm the report.

Forrester is a physician and an 11th term senator.

On September 28, Michelangelo Signorile performed what may have been Forrester's last on-air interview, in which the Senator could not back up any of the claims he had made about gay people, couldn't explain why gays harm marriage, and accused Signorile of trying to set him up. Listen to it HERE.

Comments

1. A very sad situation.

Not to take advantage of such a horrible situation... but at least his family won't have trouble being by his side at this time. A privilege that he fought to block from my own family.

Posted by: jasun mark | Oct 31, 2011 12:12:45 PM

2. as any normal person would... i don't want to wish ill upon anyone and i will opt to stay out of this guy's life.

... an option he hasn't yielded to people like me.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Oct 31, 2011 12:17:25 PM

3. Anal bleeding?

Posted by: Let it be AIDS | Oct 31, 2011 12:17:27 PM

4. More joyful than sad. Good riddance, bigot!

Posted by: OMNOMNOM | Oct 31, 2011 12:18:34 PM

5. So much for God striking down the gays. It looks more likely that He prefers to strike down the bigots.

Posted by: MT | Oct 31, 2011 12:19:36 PM

6. Despite Mr. Forrester's apparent distain for me as a gay man, I will be praying for him and his family. Because I don't believe that hate is a family value. And if he does survive this event, I pray that he will look into his heart and decide if he wants his legacy to be depriving others of their liberty and happiness...

Posted by: Scott Vock | Oct 31, 2011 12:24:49 PM

7. If only his hateful wife would go with him. Say hi to Jesse and Jerry when you get to hell, you hateful bastard.

Posted by: gaylib | Oct 31, 2011 12:25:18 PM

8. Don't wish his family ill will, but just cannot bring myself to offer him any sympathy either.

May his hateful god forgive him of his sins. However, seems to me that a more powerful god is finally getting pissed at the blasphemy of those in the "Evangelical lifestyle".

Posted by: AggieCowboy | Oct 31, 2011 12:33:15 PM

9. I'm sorry but people who are in power and serve to take away rights of other are essentially tyrants, and its a fitting end for a tyrant.

Posted by: Dave | Oct 31, 2011 12:35:05 PM

10. At least he'll die having the peace of mind knowing that he hurt thousands of gay people that he didn't even know. God bless.

Posted by: David in Houston | Oct 31, 2011 12:39:09 PM

11. pity.

Posted by: ynot | Oct 31, 2011 12:40:07 PM

12. yaay! die

Posted by: Jason | Oct 31, 2011 12:40:32 PM

13. So? He certainly doesn't get sympathy from me. I hate to wish people ill, but I had contempt for him before he got sick, and don't feel any differently about him now.

Posted by: candideinnc | Oct 31, 2011 12:41:54 PM

14. I will give he and his family the same amount of support he has given mine over the years.

Posted by: ClubDJ | Oct 31, 2011 12:41:59 PM

15. Sad for his family, great for civil rights. I won't shed a tear for Fred Phelps, either.

Posted by: Tony Maciej | Oct 31, 2011 12:44:40 PM

16. Tick tock on the clock, bigot.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 31, 2011 12:56:24 PM

17. Death is part of the process of life. We should live our lives with the understanding that our actions will be what people remember. I find it hard to feel sorry for any adult who dies, as we all will do so. That doesn't mean I am not sympathetic to those who remain, for the pain of lose is great. But this man CHOSE to act in a manner that harms thousands of people. And for our community and all people who work for fairness in life, he will be remembered for his bigoted actions.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 31, 2011 1:01:24 PM

18. another dinosaur about to be extinct.

Posted by: scott | Oct 31, 2011 1:02:51 PM

19. Hopefully he'll go from "grave condition" to "grave-ready condition" soon.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Oct 31, 2011 1:12:59 PM

20. That "normal lifestyle"'s really helping your health, ain't in Senator?

Posted by: Jollysocks | Oct 31, 2011 1:15:43 PM

21. Shows the power of prayer.

Posted by: Will | Oct 31, 2011 1:16:09 PM

22. Rather than rejoice at the impending death of an individual bigoted jerk (tacky...), I rejoice at the thought of the eventual deaths of most of these bigoted jerks. We are really only about one generation away from this being a non-issue.

Posted by: RobF | Oct 31, 2011 1:20:08 PM

23. christians are the most hateful people on earth. I sure as hell won't be wishing him a speedy death or a fast recovery.

Posted by: enough already | Oct 31, 2011 1:24:46 PM

24. Rapture for one, comin' right up!

So is this the part where I'm supposed to pretend I'm not cackling gleefully? Sorry, ain't gonna happen. Considering that I have an entire fantasy catalog of ugly deaths I lovingly imagine for right-wing a-holes, involving such things as venomous snakes (spoiler: I deny them the antidote), strategically placed piano wire, woodchippers, ebola, and fire ants, he's getting off easy.

So how are Tony Perkins, Maggie Gallagher, Ann Coulter, Sally Kern, Rick Santorum, Michele Bachmann, and Pope Ratzi faring today? I want to make sure I haven't suddenly gained the power to kill people with my ill wishes. It would be a shame to waste it.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 31, 2011 1:25:05 PM

25. It's too bad, but every time an old bigot dies, we are one step closer to full equality in this country. The polls don't lie.

Posted by: Matt N | Oct 31, 2011 1:28:21 PM