NC Senator James Forrester, Who Sponsored State’s Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment, Hospitalized in Grave Condition

UPDATE: Forrester has died.

North Carolina state senator James Forrester, the lead sponsor of the state's successful bill to constitutionally ban same-sex marriage who made headlines in September when he told a town hall that gay people die early and should adopt a "normal lifestyle," has been hospitalized, apparently in grave condition, WRAL reports:

Forrester"Sen. Forrester is in ICU, and the family has been called in," Forrester's sister-in-law, Sally Beach, said by phone Monday morning. "They're scattered all over the place. They're trying to gather."

She did not say what was wrong with the senator, adding that her statement was all she could offer at the time.

A Denver, N.C., newspaper reported Monday that Forrester, 74, was reportedly on life support after being admitted to a Gastonia hospital on Sunday for cranial bleeding.

His office at the General Assembly could not confirm the report.

Forrester is a physician and an 11th term senator.

On September 28, Michelangelo Signorile performed what may have been Forrester's last on-air interview, in which the Senator could not back up any of the claims he had made about gay people, couldn't explain why gays harm marriage, and accused Signorile of trying to set him up. Listen to it HERE.

Comments

1. says

A very sad situation.

Not to take advantage of such a horrible situation… but at least his family won’t have trouble being by his side at this time. A privilege that he fought to block from my own family.

2. sleepy bear says

as any normal person would… i don’t want to wish ill upon anyone and i will opt to stay out of this guy’s life.

… an option he hasn’t yielded to people like me.

3. Scott Vock says

Despite Mr. Forrester’s apparent distain for me as a gay man, I will be praying for him and his family. Because I don’t believe that hate is a family value. And if he does survive this event, I pray that he will look into his heart and decide if he wants his legacy to be depriving others of their liberty and happiness…

4. AggieCowboy says

Don’t wish his family ill will, but just cannot bring myself to offer him any sympathy either.

May his hateful god forgive him of his sins. However, seems to me that a more powerful god is finally getting pissed at the blasphemy of those in the “Evangelical lifestyle”.

5. candideinnc says

So? He certainly doesn’t get sympathy from me. I hate to wish people ill, but I had contempt for him before he got sick, and don’t feel any differently about him now.

6. Mark says

Death is part of the process of life. We should live our lives with the understanding that our actions will be what people remember. I find it hard to feel sorry for any adult who dies, as we all will do so. That doesn’t mean I am not sympathetic to those who remain, for the pain of lose is great. But this man CHOSE to act in a manner that harms thousands of people. And for our community and all people who work for fairness in life, he will be remembered for his bigoted actions.

7. RobF says

Rather than rejoice at the impending death of an individual bigoted jerk (tacky…), I rejoice at the thought of the eventual deaths of most of these bigoted jerks. We are really only about one generation away from this being a non-issue.

8. Caliban says

Rapture for one, comin’ right up!

So is this the part where I’m supposed to pretend I’m not cackling gleefully? Sorry, ain’t gonna happen. Considering that I have an entire fantasy catalog of ugly deaths I lovingly imagine for right-wing a-holes, involving such things as venomous snakes (spoiler: I deny them the antidote), strategically placed piano wire, woodchippers, ebola, and fire ants, he’s getting off easy.

So how are Tony Perkins, Maggie Gallagher, Ann Coulter, Sally Kern, Rick Santorum, Michele Bachmann, and Pope Ratzi faring today? I want to make sure I haven’t suddenly gained the power to kill people with my ill wishes. It would be a shame to waste it.

9. Abel says

@RobF, you are more or less right, I think. This man, in addition to being a hate-filled bigot, is a liar and a fraud, claiming credentials he never earned, etc. I won’t miss him and North Carolina will be well rid of him. But a small part of me wishes he’d recover and see the grave error of his ways. A very small part, since I don’t think it’s likely he ever would. On second thought, Senator Forrester, just go to hell.

10. Kevin says

Such is the power of our inherent frailty,
    that I wish the Senator a speedy recovery.

Even if it is only to fight another day,
    but I’d much rather we could make progress.

11. Steve says

As I posted on another blog, I’m not able to say nice things about this guy. Forrester’s big claim was that he had to push an anti-gay amendment because gay men die 20 years early. Mr. Forrester was 74. According to the current ‘Period Life Table’, he had 11 more years to live. So if gay men die 20 years too early, I can only conclude from Mr. Forrester’s 11-years-too-early departure that he was bisexual.

12. says

I live in Gaston County, his home base. I think we should as a community be more civil than he was and wish him and his family peace. Michaelangelo Signorelli interviewed him a couple of weeks ago and his ignorance and hate spoke volumes about his makeup as a human being. I hope maybe in his last days he learned something from the exposure to Mike. I wish his family peace at this time of grieving.

13. Phil says

Old people tend to hate us more than not. They also tend to die more than not. Sad that people die, necessary to remove their antiquated views from the table. I hope we all keep this in mind when we are old and resistant to change and act more graciously in our twilight years.