Advertising | News | Occupy Wall Street

BigGayDeal.com

'Occupy Wall Street' Ad to Air Nationally: VIDEO

Ows_ad

An ad featuring several protesters from the "Occupy Wall Street" movement stating what they'd like to see as the movement's goals will begin airing nationally, most likely on ESPN, DailyKos reports.

They ad: "This may well be the first time a protest movement will air a positive branding ad."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. 1. Nice apple ad
    2. Way to water down and stupidize the message
    3. This makes the cause appear way more idealistic than it is

Posted by: Mhmm | Oct 19, 2011 10:41:17 PM

2. True democracy? Should that guy move? The US has always been a representative republic. This ad makes them seem more disjointed than ever!

Posted by: Me | Oct 19, 2011 11:17:13 PM

3. Blur out the socialists, communists, hippies, anti-Semites, union thugs, class warfare instigators, cop-bashers, and hipster trust-fund babies, and there aren't many people left, are there? Nice try, though.

Posted by: Max | Oct 19, 2011 11:25:10 PM

4. I find it funny that people are so afraid of this movement that they act like typical bullies and call people names. Haven't we had enough of that childishness?

Posted by: Joey | Oct 19, 2011 11:39:39 PM

5. Excellent ad.

Posted by: pgbach | Oct 19, 2011 11:42:42 PM

6. I liked it.
    What a pleasant change from the usual too-sleak, over target audience tested plastic blah-blah-blah.
    Genuine looking people, genuine American concerns.

Posted by: enough already | Oct 19, 2011 11:42:58 PM

7. The media buy for this is crowd-funded. Pitch in if you feel inspired to at loudsauce.com.

Posted by: Derek | Oct 20, 2011 12:24:27 AM

8. LMAO at "I wanna be able to speak my voice..." by someone with a bunch of crap pierced in their lips!!!

Posted by: endo | Oct 20, 2011 12:39:30 AM

9. I like it. Hopefully it gets enough airtime to make a difference

Posted by: ravewulf | Oct 20, 2011 12:49:23 AM

10. Waving signs and talking in platitudes are not going to do the job.
    They need to refine the message, imo. It needs to be limited to the most important issues, for example, restore the mixed economy, regulate the banks, tax the rich, protect u.s. manufacturing, subsidize clean energy.
    Once that's done, they should work on a media strategy.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Oct 20, 2011 1:05:56 AM

11. @me

Technically a representative democracy. I reality, an oligarchy. What is the percentage of millionaires in Congress compared to the percentage of normal Americans? Who gets access?

Posted by: tranquilo | Oct 20, 2011 2:58:54 AM

12. lower right guy is cute

Posted by: allan | Oct 20, 2011 3:14:28 AM

13. Not really sure how I feel about OWS, but one thing is for sure. They don't give me that feeling when I watch Tea Party rallies, you know that feeling when your skin feels like it wants to crawl inside of you and your internal organs are trying to crawl out through every orifice?

Posted by: Dev | Oct 20, 2011 4:55:41 AM

14. Hey Max or should I say Damien, go away and stop trolling here or I will tell the boys the rest of your name and exactly where it is that you live.

Posted by: Wandsworth | Oct 20, 2011 6:11:45 AM

15. Was there a special invitation to the members of GoProud to pre-screen this video? I had to check that I hadn't somehow stumbled onto the FOX NEWS website. These comments just go to show that we ARE just like everyone else. Bigoted, biased, judgmental and elitist.

ENDO watched it and couldn't get past the "bunch of crap pierced in their lips!!!"

ME gave the typical TeaBagger response: if you don't like it here...move.

MAX re-tells the lie that many of the protesters are just "hipster trust-fund babies"

WILBERFORCE believes as does Fox News, that they need to "refine the message" - what do those dirty, smelly hippies want?

ALLAN points out which guy he finds cute (lol!)

You get the picture. It started off small and has now moved around the world. At first they were ignored and now they can be ignored no more. I went down to Wall Street and talked to people for many hours and found most to be tired of the status quo and desperate for change. Now that the movement is growing every day, hopefully they see some.

Posted by: Gigi | Oct 20, 2011 8:02:48 AM

16. I take "speak my voice without jeopardizing my job" as: I'm a queer woman of color and I don't want to be fired for that.

Any objections?

Posted by: KevinVT | Oct 20, 2011 9:58:19 AM

17. I love how people want a unified, simply-stated message from a movement arising out of tons of injustice and consisting of people acting in actual, messy, hard-to-wrangle democracy while living in a park in lower Manhattan. In fact, I'm wondering how they managed to get the ad produced - but I'm guessing it was one of their working groups which was granted authority by - well, by whichever few hundred people were in Zuccotti Park that day.

Bravo to them. It's not OWS's job to hone their demands to a sound bite. It's their job to AGITATE for change. And they are doing it more successfully than anything we've seen on the progressive side of politics since the Vietnam War.

Compare them to the Tea Party, if you will, as as the media is now happily doing, and as polls favoring OWS wildly over the Tea Party are doing. As one commentor above said, and I paraphrase, they don't make your skin crawl. And they've successfully changed the conversation in the media and in much of the nation away from the absurd deficit-reduction-uber-alis to much more fitting economic justice.

Kudos to everyone involved. I hope they can get lots of air time for their ad. (and yes, that one guy is really cute)

Posted by: Zlick | Oct 20, 2011 10:21:02 AM

18. I liked the ad.

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Oct 20, 2011 12:28:09 PM

19. ZLICK, people don't want a unified, simply-stated message. That's a Fox talking point that simpletons have latched onto in an attempt to discredit OWS as disorganized and ineffectual. But you're exactly right, how could a movement that represents the many hardships and frustrations of millions of people worldwide be simplified into on message? It can't and it shouldn't be.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Oct 20, 2011 1:54:25 PM