2012 Election | News | Rick Santorum

Rick Santorum Suggests the GOP Turn Religious Latino Voters Against the Family-Destroying Gays: VIDEO

Santorum

While LGBT people were not mentioned by name in last night's debate, Think Progress LGBT makes note of a moment in which Rick Santorum took square aim at LGBTs while answering a question "about how the Republican party would reconcile its anti-immigration policies and appeal to Latino voters."

Santorum's suggestion was to turn Hispanics against gay people using religion:

(my transcript) "The Latino community understands that. They understand the importance of faith and marriage. They understand that bond that builds that solid foundation and that inculcation of faith and religious freedom, and I think the Latino community knows that's at stake in this country. There's a lot going on right now that's eroding our religious freedom, that's eroding the traditional values of marriage and family and there's one cnadidate up here who consistently sounds that theme...Look I'm for jobs too, but we keep running sough-shod over the fact that the family in America and faith in America is being crushed by the courts and by our government and someone has to stand up and fight for those insitutions."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. They "understand the importance of faith and marriage". Would that be Latino people from all those countries that now have gay marriage?

Posted by: Mike | Oct 19, 2011 7:28:08 AM

2. Way to get that Latino vote, Ricky boy! Most of them are smart enough to know you're not a friend of theirs, with your "set one minority against another" bright idea.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 19, 2011 7:51:37 AM

3. well to protect the institutions of family and faith. well the church can protect the faith by going to church as usual. family that would go for couples like father and mother types don't matter if its both sex's or single. if there's someone needing to be taken care someone will be there whoever that may be. there is no more traditional roles anymore the tradition has been evolving in something more. this race to be the president should have more interest in jobs, education, and health then on marriage, faith and traditional values which will work itself out in the long run just as it has been for years.

Posted by: albertam | Oct 19, 2011 7:52:25 AM

4. I just about spewed when Santorum declared that changes in their tax code caused the plummeting birth rate in Europe. It was stomach churning to see a man with such diminished mental abilities vying to be a Presidential candidate.

Posted by: Hamilton | Oct 19, 2011 8:15:44 AM

5. I have no evidence and I have no proof, but does anyone else think that Santorum is a little too aggressive in his anti-LGBT stance? It's almost like he's hiding something.

Posted by: Tracy | Oct 19, 2011 8:21:33 AM

6. Why do Americans think Europe is one country with one tax code?

" There's a lot going on right now that's eroding our religious freedom, that's eroding the traditional values of marriage and family" and no further erosion of intelligence is possible. Mission accomplished.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 19, 2011 8:36:44 AM

7. IMHO, this group running for the GOPer presidential nomination is the biggest bunch of hate-mongering know-nothing Bible (or, to a lesser degree, Book of Mormon)-thumping homophobic clowns ever assembled by a major national political party. While the negative political stories about Obama and his re-election abound in the MSM, for the life of me I cannot reconcile any member of this Rethuggist class becoming our president. Their conservative far-right ideologies are beyond belief (not to mention their ignorance of facts and reality and their hate toward multiple minorities). They are truly unbelievable...yet...I know millions will vote for the eventual candidate and possibly elect him president. I fear for our nation if that happens.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Oct 19, 2011 8:46:20 AM

8. My Mexican husband's family has been far more accepting of me than my southern baptist brother's family.

Posted by: joe | Oct 19, 2011 9:10:31 AM

9. How does this man continue to earn a podium on this stage?

It really is a circus of clowns; not to disparage clowns... but statistically, Santorum (Frothy Mix) is not even a gnat.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Oct 19, 2011 9:13:52 AM

10. @ Joe - you're so right. My mother is a Latina, and my father is Irish. Except for one tia abuela, my mother's family is much, much more accepting of me.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Oct 19, 2011 9:29:51 AM

11. I SO agree with Hadenoughbs, he really nailed it here. There is one thing that really struck me about ol' Frothy's statement;is he aware of the separation of Church and State in this country? I mean, did I miss something when I walked out of the room? Because the last time I checked it was one of our most cherished tenets.

Posted by: booka | Oct 19, 2011 9:33:13 AM

12. It's been asked before, but should be asked again. Why is Rick Santorum's marriage endangered by gay marriage? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Oct 19, 2011 10:35:05 AM

13. It's so easy to blame "other" for one's failings and shortcomings. Until these people take responsibility for their own actions, they will have only themselves to blame for people leaving their institutions in droves. And it isn't the "other" who is responsible for their failed marriages. They need only look in the mirror to find the culprit.

But that's probably asking too much. It's not in their DNA to accept responsibilty or blame. So they will continue to point the finger at others while driving a wedge between people. It's worked so well for them in the past, why change now?

Posted by: mytwocents | Oct 19, 2011 10:50:57 AM

14. Since Ricks whole campaign seems to be about religious values why doesnt he give up on politics and join a religious order. Maybe he could take over from Fred Phelps, they seem to have the same views.
    Ricks campaign isnt going anywhere, he hasnt a hope in hell of getting the nomination, so his whole campaign is about spreading homophobia. Maybe Phelps will endorse him.

Posted by: Nicholas | Oct 19, 2011 11:09:27 AM

15. Ol' Frothy Mix is trying to latch onto the Latino evangelicals who come to the US and attend run-down storefront "churches" and pray for the End Times.

Latino Catholics are like most Catholics worldwide (except for Frothy Mix and all those Opus Dei psychotics on the US Supreme Court): They don't pay a scintilla of attention to any Church doctrine any more.

The Pope could be up there saying (in Latin) "Eating chocolate will get you into Heaven and clear up your butt acne", and everyone would ignore him, because they just know better than to listen to child molesters and child molester apologists/protectors.

Going a bit more meta: THIS is the best of the Republicans?! I guess conservative Americans really ARE the stupidest people on the face of the earth. I weep for their inbred meth-addicted children.

Posted by: One of the CA 36,000 | Oct 19, 2011 11:25:08 AM

16. Rick Santorum - The frothy mix that is the byproduct of intense anal sex and leftover lube. "What? Oh no, that was my comment, thanks."

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Oct 19, 2011 12:55:20 PM

17. Santorum: Simple is as simple does.

Posted by: MIleHighJoe | Oct 19, 2011 1:35:52 PM

18. I'm from a Latino family. It's always family first. Being anti-gay is no longer a family value Santorum. It's the opposite now. Families are sometimes torn apart by a gay family member and you trying to pit one group against another just shows you have no place running for President. Presidents must represent ALL Americans, which is one reason i scan understand the fact that our President has been apprehensive about going after the right and has strived for compromise. He wants to be a representative for all Americans.

Your irrelevant now Santorum. Take your one-hit wonder issue and go away!

Posted by: Redebbm | Oct 19, 2011 5:33:17 PM

19. No self-respecting Hispanic would ever vote for this loser.

Posted by: Max | Oct 19, 2011 5:37:43 PM

20. Rick misses the point that the only thing people are worried about right now is the economy.

Posted by: jaragon | Oct 19, 2011 6:16:53 PM