Football (American) | News | Sports | Tim Tebow

Tim Tebow's Man-on-Man Victory Kiss

Tebow

Denver Bronco and Focus on the Family spokesman Tim Tebow planted a wet one on Demaryius Thomas during his late game rescue yesterday against the dolphins. Thomas caught the first of two touchdown passes from Tebow that positioned the Broncos for the win.

It's not the first time Tebow has shared a special moment like that with another man.

You may recall Tebow had a kiss with University of Florida teammate Tony Joiner that got the college football world talking a few years ago.

It's doubtful Tebow's PDA means his Bible-driven views have changed. Presumably as a result of controversy surrounding the 2010 Super Bowl as he made for anti-gay, anti-choice evangelical group Focus on the Family, Tebow is forbidden from talking about same-sex marriage with the press.

Though if he wants to keep making anti-homophobia PSAs like the screen shot above, we'll keep pointing them out.

Comments

1. Is anyone surprised?? Anyone?? And no, just cause they kissed on the lips doesn't necessarily mean they are gay and even id ge was I wouldnt care like he seems to, but why would you speak out so much against homosexual acts and than kiss another man on the lips, hypocrisy much.

Posted by: JWD | Oct 24, 2011 6:55:50 PM

2. had i kissed my boyfriend at the game, it would have been an entirely different story...

Posted by: Eddie | Oct 24, 2011 7:52:07 PM

3. Man alive! Judgmental much? And especially lacking any personal knowledge. Focus on the Family is a certified hate group and that's born out by what I've seen and read that was authored by them and their fearful minions. But Tebow's point in making that "infamous" ad was to state his own life story. Disagree with its implications, as do I, but why pile on this guy? At the age he was when he made that ad, I certainly made some major misjudgments as to with whom I associated. Many of us are not iron-clad at that age as to what influences make their way into our literally still-developing brain. He who has not sinned may want to throw the first stone, but what does that say about your respect for the human frailties of "others?"

Posted by: Tom Cardellino | Oct 24, 2011 8:41:22 PM

4. During Sunday's NFL Blitz on ESPN, a bewildered Chris Berman, usually a favorite of mine, openly wondered why anyone would dislike such a fine young man. This came after yet another 10-minute Tebow love-fest on ESPN, hyping the young QB. Berman even intimated that there is something wrong with anyone who hates Tim Tebow.

Today on ESPN.com, and equally reality-free zone when facts get in the way of worshiping star athletes, writer Bruce Jacobs picked up on Berman's question and sadly conceded that Tebow is of course hated because he is a Christian.

I'm not sure if this willful ignorance is intentional, but the good folks at ESPN probably know full-well why some of us hate Tim Tebow -- and they are coming dangerously close to politicizing their brand. I hate Tim Tebow because of his extreme, Bible-thumping self-righteousness, the damning things he said in the past against others, his pointless self-insertion into the political realm with an anti-choice Superbowl ad, and his alliance with extreme groups like Focus on the Family who spew anti-gay hatred without shame. Note to ESPN: Tebow has aligned himself with extremists, which means some people will hate him.

So the next time ESPN heavily promotes Tebow as an all-American role model (which will be in 5 minutes), I'll have to wonder if they are showing their alliance with that God-fearing, straight, red-state, Nascar crowd -- and their disdain for the rest of us.

Posted by: Joe H | Oct 24, 2011 9:29:25 PM

5. @JOE H: Hey, Tank admires a guy with strong convictions who can express them clearly and concisely, but I have to say, I don't get your hate for Tebow. He does a lot for his gay fans, of whom there are many, such as wearing a dark jockstrap under his see-through white pants, posing shirtless and sweaty all the time, not hiding his impressive man bulge under a little towel when out on the field, and in general, being cute. Yeah, he can be annoying at times, but I don't think any of the queens around here would kick him out of their bed, if you get what I mean. People who say that their political correctness outweighs the pull of their secret erotic desires aren't being honest with themselves... and that's how Tank sees it!

Posted by: TANK | Oct 25, 2011 12:42:49 AM

6. There have been rumors he's gay for a long time. He used to live with his boyfriend in Gainesville. I didn't think much about it until a couple of years ago in an interview he said he didn't date women due to his morals yet, um, the bible doesn't actually state this so called moral. It was then it was obvious he is gay.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 25, 2011 1:07:41 AM

7. These guys work together as a team/family and love each other. I've seen hundreds of dudes kiss, not that I would not mind being on the receiving end! It is a shame that he is so messed up in his thinking though...

Posted by: billmiller | Oct 25, 2011 5:05:03 AM

8. I'm not a sports fan. I don't follow Tebow. But my gaydar is going off. He wants to kiss boys. Too bad he has to throw a pass before making a pass.

Posted by: Just how gay is he? | Oct 25, 2011 7:57:35 AM

9. Football is very homoerotic, and very absorbing, so players have a harder time covering up their true selves when they're in the heat of the moment.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 25, 2011 8:28:35 AM

10. I've got lots of straight, male friends. Despite the testosteronal rush of sports excitement - one would be hard pressed to envision any of them planting a wet, juicy lip-lock on each other's mouths as a result of a "winning play". Just ain't gonna happen. (Oh, unless of course that might be the particular individuals wholly, natural inclination and in the thrill of the moment the individual "forgets" to hide what Focus on the Family doesn't want the rest of the world to see. I'm just saying.)

Posted by: Bill | Oct 25, 2011 8:47:59 AM

11. Maybe he is just another self-loathing closeted man who has been damaged by christian brainwashing? Come out, come out Tim! You'll be happy then.

Posted by: Peter | Oct 25, 2011 9:08:22 AM

12. @Turtle and @Rick

I don't think you know enough straight guys. The more alpha dudes on the football team at my undergrad did it all the time...unfortunately...its sort of a homophobic gesture for many. :(

I hope he wasn't being homophobic but... who can say?

Posted by: Rin | Oct 25, 2011 11:25:26 AM

13. It reminds me of the pictures of the femmed-out Taliban-fighters. WHen you are subscribed to a culture SOOO fiercely forcing oppression based on gender and sexual orientation DOWN YOUR THROAT...it starts to SHOW. This is Tim Tebow EXPRESSING (presumably unconsciously) the force of the oppression HE HIMSELF has been perpetrating.

Ironic and thoroughly apt. We will see more kissing of men by Tim Tebow, whether or not he's gay. At least we will until he quits his gay-hate gig. It's inevitable and a natural expression of his physical being rejecting his mind-fu**ed hate. He's conflicted about his hate--whether he knows it or not... We can SEE it.

Tebow, be a real man and cut the gay-hate. But u don't need to stop kissing guys on the field; I don't mind.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Oct 25, 2011 11:45:58 AM

14. @Jason Believe me, if that is what this represented, I would be right there with you. The fly in the ointment of your argument, though, is that, in very public ways, young Mr. Tebow has aligned himself with the homophobic Religious Right.

I think Rob and Bill have it right in this instance--I don't really need to elaborate on what they said here.

And I think you know that the analogy with women is invalid--women have long been allowed to kiss each other and dance with each other in this culture without it having lesbian overtones. Not so with men.

We share the same goals, I think--and if Tim ever does decide to accept his sexuality and kiss a guy unapologetically in public....and at the same time, denounce rather than endorse (and hide behind) the Religious Right, then he will, indeed, be a hero. Until then, however, he just remains what he is.....

Posted by: Rick | Oct 25, 2011 1:18:26 PM

15. Anyone who voices that much hatred of gays is actually terrified because he himself has homosexual feelings. Not that this makes him any less dangerous and destructive to gays and gay rights.

Posted by: darkmoonman | Oct 25, 2011 1:53:14 PM

16. Totally ridiculous! Tebow haters will stop at nothing, if u watch the video they brush faces accidentally. Get a freaking life people!

Posted by: Lindsey | Oct 26, 2011 7:09:50 PM

17. Saying Focus on the Family is "Anti-Gay" kind of makes them sound like they don't like gay people. I'm pretty sure they love gay people, but don't approve of their lifestyles. Kind of like you might not approve of this post but that doesn't make you anti-paul. Or maybe you don't like me, which would make you anti-paul. And that's ok.

Posted by: paul | Oct 28, 2011 3:54:07 PM

18. So he kissed a dude, who cares? The guy does nothing for me whatsoever. Do I hate him? Of course not. Life is WAY too short to expend energy on hating someone who doesn't give 2 shits about you in the 1st place (He obviously doesn't know most of you, so why expect him to care whether or not you like him?)

And who cares if he suddenly comes out of the closet? Would we, as a gay community, not accept him with open arms? This is the problem with some Militant Gays... they become the exact thing they oppose. They fight hate with hate, instead of keeping a calmer, cooler head.

I don't know, I love football for the sport of it, but way too many gay guys think entirely with their dicks.

Posted by: Meh, who cares? | Oct 30, 2011 7:33:09 PM

19. You know people are blowing this WAY out of proportion... if you watch the video of it, it happens LESS then a second and he turns his head. Theres NOTHING gay about it. Trust me, i really dislike this guy 100% and wouldn't normally defend him, but seriously, this is nothing worth attention.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 30, 2011 11:22:29 PM

20. It's a football thing

Posted by: Chuck Bass | Dec 14, 2011 10:45:23 PM

21. I think that one of the reasons a lot of straight guys play team sports is so they can share intimacies with other men.There is a whole lot of homoeratic behavior in sports.There is nothing wrong with that. However, there is something wrong when at the same time they preach their anti gay venim.

Posted by: jack | Dec 23, 2011 12:25:18 AM

22. The only thing that i have to say about Tim Tebow's man on man kiss is: Why not me lord? I pop a boner just looking at that fine piece of Eye-candy.

Posted by: jack | Jan 6, 2012 11:43:34 PM

23. You idiots, it is not a kiss. The camera angle is misleading. Sheeesh! Stop hating on the kid. Jealous much??

Posted by: Krane | Jan 10, 2012 10:13:16 PM

24. well it's not a big problem for us. nowadays people are more vulnerable and a lot of guys out there are slowly showing their real identity.

Posted by: philwebservices | Jan 12, 2012 12:40:29 AM

25. Hahah tebow is gay. But I've seen barkley kiss that old ref in the mouth. It was just awkward you know. It just happened that way, I dont think they planned it. Kinda like here to be honest. It just the way it happened. Or... it could be love lmao

Posted by: Mk | Jan 13, 2012 10:05:16 PM