Film | Steven Spielberg | Tintin

The Second Full 'Tintin' Trailer is Here: VIDEO

Tintin

A second full trailer for Steven Spielberg's The Adventures of Tintin has been released.

Said Spielberg to Empire last November of the CGI motion capture adaptation of the comic created by Belgian artist Hergé: "The first part of the film, which is the most mysterious part, certainly owes much to not only film noir but the whole German Brechtian theatre — some of our night scenes and our action scenes are very contrasty. But at the same time the movie is a hell of an adventure."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously...
Tintin outed by British Columnist [tr]

Comments

1. Awesome! I'm not much for going to theaters anymore, but I'd probably go see this one. And I'll definitely add it to my DVD collection when it becomes available.

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Oct 19, 2011 8:34:38 AM

2. The way studios hype some of these movies by endlessly releasing previews and
    sneak peeks for 6 months to years before the film is released is really getting annoying.

They do it so much that people get unrealistic expectations so that what would otherwise be considered a good film gets disappointing reviews because it isn't as earth-shattering as all the build-up promised it would be.

It makes me wonder if viewing audiences these days are really that jaded--a really hard sell--or both.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 19, 2011 8:40:34 AM

3. It's amazing how motion-capture can't seem to portray motion accurately. It may be counter-intuitive, but animators know how to play with the illusion of motion to make it look natural, and simply capturing motion and replaying it often looks unnatural. Or, maybe in this case, the weird slowy-type motion is what they're going for.

Either way, dead eyes are no more appealing on human characters than they were last year or the year before that.

Posted by: Zlick | Oct 19, 2011 10:01:54 AM

4. I agree Zlick. This looks like a fun movie, but it practically breathes uncanny valley-ness.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Oct 19, 2011 10:29:59 AM

5. @Acronym Jim

Uncanny Valley. THAT's the phrase I was trying to think of! (I had Uncanny Plateau stuck in my head.)

For those who don't know, the "uncanny valley" is the range where artificial representations of human faces, emotions, expressions etc. are VERY close to reality but somehow not close enough. People perceive it as creepy and disturbing instead of impressive or entertaining. It has often been used to describe artificial robot "faces," but also movies like "The Polar Express" where motion-capture is used.

It's hard to tell from this short trailer but this film may be in that valley.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 19, 2011 11:17:49 AM

6. Definitely creepy uncanny valley. Also the keys joke is recycled and was funnier in 'The Mask' - 'not the cheese, the keys...'

Posted by: Dave | Oct 19, 2011 11:23:01 AM

7. If it is going to mimic live-action, why not just make it live-action? All that trouble to animate it seems silly when you end up with "dead-eyed" characters. that said, it does look like it is a fun ride and it's certainly a better trailer than the first.

Posted by: dms | Oct 19, 2011 11:54:29 AM

8. Raiders of the lost Arc in animation.

Posted by: MikeyDallas | Oct 19, 2011 12:29:49 PM

9. Animation should be used to bring the impossible to live- dancing brooms, talking wabbits, flying elephants- this could have been done in live action.

Posted by: jaragon | Oct 19, 2011 6:12:07 PM

10. This looks better than the first trailer. "The Polar Express" still scares me senseless. Sadly, like Dolly's new face. Have you seen the trailer for Joyful Noise?

AEREIIAEIAEIAE

Posted by: Brion | Oct 19, 2011 7:06:02 PM

11. It looks like they've got everything right about this movie... except the animation. Talk about Uncanny Valley -- I've never found animation to be so turn-off-ish.

Honestly, this makes what was done with Avatar all the more impressive -- that's the only motion-capture animation that's ever looked good, though maybe it only works because it's with giant blue people, instead of humans.

In any event, despite the huge chunk of change they've put in this, I don't think it's going to work and will flop. It's a shame, really, they have material there and it's good, and they've brought together good talent to put it out -- I just don't know why on earth they decided to use motion-capture to use it. Live action would have been awesome, and short of that, they could have just used regular animation. Oh well.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 19, 2011 7:30:38 PM

12. Yay!! I'm SOOO happy to see all the people here not liking 'motion-capture'. I never understood how people could like it. It's creepy. I hope it goes away. Luckily they've ditched Robert Zemeckis' re-do of "Yellow Submarine."

Posted by: lookyloo | Oct 20, 2011 2:37:21 AM