Wild El Paso Pastor Wages War on Fornicators and Gays

On the surface, a battle over gay rights raging in El Paso, Texas, is standard culture-war stuff: the city council extended health benfits to domestic partners - straight and gay - in the government's employ, and now right-wing pastors are trying to recall the council. What's unusual is the flagrant stupidity of the antagonists.

Tom_Brown Here's Tom Brown, head of Word of Life Church: "They want to reward fornicators, and they want to reward homosexuals." Fornicators? Really? And yes, that's Tom Brown on the left, afflicted with severe gay-face.

Then there's Barney Field, executive director of El Paso for Jesus, who claimed the health benefits would leave the city vulnerable to drug violence from Mexico. Figure that one out.

A referendum to revoke the benefits passed with 55 percent of the vote last November. According to The Times, that deprived 2 gay couples of benefits, along with "foster children, retirees and disabled relatives cared for by city employees." Success!

In June, the city council rejected the voters' will. So this week, Tom "Down with Fornicators" Brown got enough signatures to force a recall vote on the mayor and city council.

“Homosexuality is being trumpeted as a moral activity,” he told The Times. “How will they ever repent and turn to Christ?"

In other words: we will deprive them of their health care and steer them into reparative therapy. America, 2011.

Comments

1. In a few months we'll be reading about this pastor raping little boys in a trailer behind his church. If I am not a follower of your religious dogma, keep out of my life. We don't force you to be gay.

Posted by: Dale | Oct 2, 2011 3:25:32 PM

2. OK, let's just hope that his "church" isn't getting tax exempt status. Obviously he has crossed the line regarding political activism.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 2, 2011 3:27:34 PM

3. He really sets off my gayday...on a scale from 1 to 10, he pings a 77!

Posted by: PilateError | Oct 2, 2011 3:30:43 PM

4. Where's Dorothy with her house when we need her to drop it on someone...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Oct 2, 2011 3:43:47 PM

5. Holy Moly....that guy is a closet case if I ever saw one.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Oct 2, 2011 4:07:30 PM

6. Remove his tax-exempt status. If this *redacted* wants to use his church as a PAC, then he's in violation of Federal tax law.

My understanding is that he's already under IRS investigation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Posted by: Richard Farias | Oct 2, 2011 4:31:58 PM

7. "afflicted with severe gay-face"
    OMG that was funny!

Posted by: Kelly in Atlantic City | Oct 2, 2011 4:34:59 PM

8. if i never hear the term "gay face" again, it will be too soon

Posted by: gomez | Oct 2, 2011 4:54:14 PM

9. HEY! Didn't I see his profile on DaddyHunt.com--??! Outside: nice lookin' dude; inside: not so much.

Posted by: ludovico | Oct 2, 2011 5:15:23 PM

10. You can't help but admire these haters, misguided as they are, because when faced with defeat in the culture wars, instead of moving on, they simply double down on their rhetoric and hateful actions by sinking even lower into the abyss in a valiant, yet hopeless, attempt to shape the world in their image. They will never learn. It's not in their DNA. Ignorance will forever be bliss to them.

Posted by: mytwocents | Oct 2, 2011 5:41:50 PM

11. "What's atypical is the high pH-level of the rhetoric - pH, in this case, being a measurement of asininity."

Do you mean low pH, which is acidic?

Posted by: Skye Winspur | Oct 2, 2011 5:55:03 PM

12. @MYTWOCENTS, exactly! I was around for all the racist crap from the churches in the 50s and 60s. Even the mainstream churches in the south. Same garbage going on now, only gays are the target.

These pastors who are ENTIRELY TOO INTERESTED in demonizing the gays are covering up their own inner demons. Someone will lift this guy's luggage eventually.

Posted by: Abel | Oct 2, 2011 5:58:06 PM

13. I'm really sick and tired of rightwing America circa 2011. These Christofascists in El Paso are but one example of many nationwide. Their homophobia and hatred of - apparently - most minorities is too much for all that this nation has stood for the past 40+ years. It's time for the silent majority of those who fought through the old civil rights wars to stand up and be counted. Enough is enough from the Rethuggists dominating so much of American politics aided, of course, by Roger Ailes and his hate-filled employees at Faux Noise Channel as well as many US corporations like Koch Industries and the US Chamber of Commerce. It's evident this dumb ass group of k(no)w-nothings are ruining the country. It's time to take our country back.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Oct 2, 2011 6:53:03 PM

14. please let rick perry and the state of texas secede from the country and take all their haters with them.

Posted by: walter | Oct 2, 2011 7:06:29 PM

15. I see "SELF-HATING HOMO" written across his forehead!

LMAO :)

Posted by: gayalltheway | Oct 2, 2011 8:26:51 PM

16. What the hell is "gay face"? Whoever wrote this is an idiot. So are we supposed to believe that there is some mythical telling "GAY FACE" that is soooooooooo horrible? Anyone who thinks there is any such thing as gay face is probably a straight (perhaps) right wing conservative. Andy Towle you should grow up any stop using such stupid words.

Posted by: jp | Oct 2, 2011 9:01:38 PM

17. Saw a post with a bumper sticker that suits this to a "T" - "Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers"

Posted by: John | Oct 2, 2011 9:26:39 PM

18. Hm. Wonder which of the rest stops along Interstate 10 is his favorite.

Posted by: Danny | Oct 2, 2011 9:34:45 PM

19. Skye - thanks for pointing out that acidity is represented by low pH. You can see that I did poorly in chemistry. I've deleted that.

JP - I'm sorry that you're offended by my use of the phrase "gay-face." (I wrote the post, not Andy.) But gay-face does appear to exist - though scientists don't call it that of course.

If gay-face does exist, there's nothing wrong with it. The point is that it's funny to find an anti-gay crazy looking so, well, gay.

Posted by: Penn | Oct 2, 2011 9:36:46 PM

20. JP, I have a gay face and I am proud of it. In fact, I won't dare get a facelift as it could make my gay face go off the charts. ;-) Gay face is hard to describe but you know it when you see it. I think of it as more tongue in cheek than anything.

Posted by: Angela Channing | Oct 2, 2011 9:46:53 PM

21. Not trying to be a stickler here but I know that anyone who produces original content should get their fair share of attribution. The source of the article was not the NY Times but the Texas Tribune. The Times syndicates the Tribune stories on a regular basis.

Regarding this issue, we're watching it very closely since San Antonio just extended dometic partner benefits to city employees (no moention of this in Towleroad after I sent numerous requests through their form). Our version of Brown, Rev. Gerald Ripley, is looking at a similar move in San Antonio. The difference is that the voters cannot overturn the benefits except through a charter amendment. But they potentially preparing to do so.

Posted by: RBearSAT | Oct 2, 2011 10:42:55 PM

22. "severe gay face"? Are you kidding me? You see one photograph, and you think you know the man's sexual orientation? What a way to battle stereotypes!

Posted by: TJ | Oct 3, 2011 12:09:27 AM

23. The jury's out for me on "gay face," but it's "afflicted" that really rankles. Is it meant to be ironic here? Or is it a kind of internalized self-loathing? Hard to tell.

Posted by: Mort | Oct 3, 2011 1:22:53 AM

24. Telling Andy to "grow up" is so patronizing. If you really feel that way, please feel free to leave this site for a more grown up one. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Posted by: Reggie | Oct 3, 2011 2:31:02 AM

25. @PENN since you wrote the piece you need to change the attribution. Read my earlier comment. The Texas Tribune deserves the attribution, not the NY Times.

Posted by: RBearSAT | Oct 3, 2011 8:49:55 AM