Chelsea Clinton | NBC | News

BigGayDeal.com

Chelsea Clinton to Report for NBC News, Starting Immediately

Chelsea Clinton is now a full-time correspondent for NBC News, the NYT reports:

C_clintonThe appointment is immediate. Ms. Clinton will show up at the news division offices on Monday morning, said Steve Capus, president of NBC News, and will begin work on stories that NBC expects to use as part of its “Making a Difference” series, which runs on “NBC Nightly News.”...

...Those feature reports, which have become popular on NBC’s evening newscast — and which may be added to NBC’s new prime-time newsmagazine program, “Rock Center With Brian Williams” — spotlight people who are making volunteer commitments to improve the lives of others in their community.

There were reports in recent months that Clinton was "actively considering" a run for a Congressional seat from the state of New York. Clinton denied them.

Comments

1. And the People Magazination of NBC News continues to ramp up...

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Nov 14, 2011 9:27:22 AM

2. Another great potential Rachel Maddow replacement...

Posted by: David | Nov 14, 2011 9:30:57 AM

3. I think it's great for Chelsea... if given freedom to choose the topics, but NBC is just gross.

They have a Bush girl doing fluff pieces & they still have Ann Coulter as a commentator. Frankly, I stopped watching them a long time ago.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Nov 14, 2011 9:32:51 AM

4. And she is qualified based on.....? Maybe she can team up with Luke Russert, because their last names having nothing whatsoever to do with their jobs.

Posted by: Butch | Nov 14, 2011 9:49:16 AM

5. if this means no more Jenna Bush Hager, I'm all for it!

Posted by: doug | Nov 14, 2011 10:31:31 AM

6. Fell right into that one.

Posted by: Gry | Nov 14, 2011 11:36:13 AM

7. Must be great to have your entire life handed to you on a plate. Glenn Greenwald says it best:

Posted by: Dan | Nov 14, 2011 11:36:55 AM

8. We're creating a whole aristocracy of celebrity and media. Luke Russert, Jenna Bush Hager, Willie Geist, Mika Brzezinski (who at least worked her way up the media ladder), all have parents who were politicians or were media personalities beforehand. I get really annoyed when this country pushes people to the front of the line for no other reason than familial connections. It's been proven that the US has become less upwardly mobile for average people than many countries, and this is more evidence of that. It's one reason why I'm immediately turned off by brothers, sisters, wives sons, daughters, and other close relatives creating dynasties that can can unduly influence the dialogue locally or nationally. It's a corrupting force. No one family or group of families should have that much power in our country.

Posted by: Isaac | Nov 14, 2011 9:22:32 PM

9. Ugh, I'm with Butch and all the other haters..err, um, I mean concerned citizens. I am so sick of these kids of celebrities getting all the breaks and free rides. I mean just look at Chelsea Clinton, with her Stanford undergrad degree, THREE (3) masters degrees and the Ph.D she's working on right now. She's clearly just riding her parents coattails. Ugh, so lazy, so unqualified, blah, blah...

Seriously though, I know it's fun to pick on famous young people, but these are not the Kardashians. Whatever their last names & whoever their parents are, Chelsea Clinton, Luke Russert, and even Jenna Bush Hager, are all more than qualified for their jobs with the network. They're correspondents, its not like NBC made them anchors, or show hosts. Geez...

Posted by: Ealan75 | Nov 14, 2011 9:56:09 PM

10. I guess working for hedge funds wasn't fun anymore.

Posted by: upsetter | Nov 14, 2011 10:16:39 PM

11. imagine how youd feel if you went to J school or are slogging your way at some media outlet in the hinterlands or are an unemployed journalist
    she isnt qualified
    hire a journalist
    not some kid of a famous person
    not impressed
    and i cant imagine who wants to hear her opinions
    want good broadcast journalism? turn into amy goodman

Posted by: jw | Nov 14, 2011 11:04:05 PM

12. @EALAN75: I'm not begrudging Chelsea's own hard work and smarts, which she has demonstrated, but don't you think there is a problem when we seem to celebrate powerful family dynasties (Kennedys, Bushes, Clintons) rather than seek out talent outside of the established cadre of suspects? There are over 300 million people in this country, so why can't we find people who don't already come from the celebrity class? One can argue that it's always been that way, but I'm arguing that it's getting worse, and to point that out is not being a "hater." I personally think that Chelsea is more deserving of her success than many, but this latest move stinks to me. Given that I don't think she's ever had a job on television, to become a national correspondent out of the blue is a little odd. There are many talented people working their way through the ranks of the television networks as we speak, and I feel it's a slap in the face to them to give this to her. I had the same reaction to Jenna and Luke also, btw.

Posted by: Isaac | Nov 14, 2011 11:19:37 PM

13. I agree with the comments here. I really like Chelsea Clinton. But it's frustrating to see people getting handed their opportunities because of who their parents are. I know it happens all the time (hello Anderson Cooper)... but really, why do any of the rest of us work so hard?

Posted by: mike128 | Nov 15, 2011 9:26:19 AM

14. I agree with both Ealan75 and Isaac. Their statements expressed what I believe.

@Mike128: Anderson was a hard-working reporter for many years before becoming a part of CNN.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Nov 17, 2011 9:41:11 AM